Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Leak in Underbelly

Just drove six hours, mostly through rain. Put about 20 gallons in fresh water tank prior to leaving. Stopped at rest stop and noticed a couple trails of water behind me. Looked underneath and found fresh water coming from a few low points, such as fresh water drain, and back at clean out. Both look like the water is following easiest path out.

I drained the fresh water tank completely (probably ten gallons or so came out) and drove to destination. Now it's raining. I'll have to wait for a break in the weather to check out further.

It looks like tank is still in same spot and didn't fall. I'm thinking a fitting came loose from tank?

What's the insulation like underneath. I have the Grand Reserve so it is supposed to have additional material. Will water ruin it?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If the bottom is the same as most ,it is just black coroplast (looks like cardboard , but is made of plastic). The insulation is above this mat'l in the floor. Simply unscrew some of the screws that hold up the coroplast and with a flashlight ,look inside to see if you can find anything leaking.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the same problem, but I was pulled over by the State Police for them to make sure it was not the black tanking leaking. Funny this is when I let the water flow onto my hand I knew it was the freshwater, but the Trooper wouldn't smell my hand. Go figure.
I am waiting for the dealer to repair it under my ESP.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks guys. Mark, I will likely use my ESP also. Any word on what caused it yet?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Team

I can't take it in until December 19th. With my ESP, if you get it repaired at Camping World. the $100 deductible is cut in half to $50.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 11-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I can't take it in until December 19th. With my ESP, if you get it repaired at Camping World. the $100 deductible is cut in half to $50.
That's pretty coincidental. My last warranty appointment is Dec 19th also at Camping World. When I return from our vacation next week I'll be calling to add this for the ESP repair. It will be interesting to see if the cause was the same.

Tomorrow we meet family at Disneyland with the grandchildren, and then a few days at Pismo Beach before going home. All systems seem to be working well at moment (full hookups, so don't need fresh water tank).
Old 11-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip

Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Steve, When I drive in heavy rain, water gets into the belly area from all the splashing from the RV and TV tire spray. For the next day or two, I will get water dripping from the low point areas of the membrane where plumbing and other items come thru the membrane. Maybe this is what has happened to you.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Steve, When I drive in heavy rain, water gets into the belly area from all the splashing from the RV and TV tire spray. For the next day or two, I will get water dripping from the low point areas of the membrane where plumbing and other items come thru the membrane. Maybe this is what has happened to you.
Stan, I was wondering if that could be, but I never noticed it before. My initial thought was that it was too much water from road spray, and it continued for a little while. As well as looking really clean. But we did have some pretty good rain. The underbelly is closed pretty well.

On Thursday I will be moving during a spell of dry days. I'm considering putting ten or so gallons in the fresh tank first to see if it happens again. The only bad thing is I hate to get anything wet, but it would let me know.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Have had two problems with my fresh water tank since new. In 2013 the rear electric stabilizer jacks knocked off the drain pipe and fitting to the tank. Had to open the underbelly to repair. Just needed to screw the fitting back into the tank and rerouted the drain pipe away from the jacks. 2nd problem this summer. Looks like the tank moved/bounced and was pierced by a screw in the strapping. Haven't repaired yet. Will drop underbelly this winter and find the problem and fix it.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
Have had two problems with my fresh water tank since new. In 2013 the rear electric stabilizer jacks knocked off the drain pipe and fitting to the tank. Had to open the underbelly to repair. Just needed to screw the fitting back into the tank and rerouted the drain pipe away from the jacks. 2nd problem this summer. Looks like the tank moved/bounced and was pierced by a screw in the strapping. Haven't repaired yet. Will drop underbelly this winter and find the problem and fix it.
We were on a very bouncy highway for an hour or so. The idea of a screw puncturing the tank is possible I would say. Didn't experience any roads as bad on our cross country trip. Can't believe the roads in California.