Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Leak somewhere

Hey all,
I've got a 2015 Sunset Trail 290qb and back where it goes to bunks there is a leak as soon as you walk in the bunk room under a couple pieces of flooring. I attached pic. Anyone else with this kind of issue?

I assume it must be penetrating from some leak on the roof somewhere? I went on a ladder next to the roof to look and I don't know much about roof materials, can someone tell me if my roof is Alpha or Dicor?

You can see in the pics. I plan to use some self leveling lap sealant around all roof fittings but I dont want to get the wrong type. Hopefully this will solve the water leak issue.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220914_190741.jpg (164.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20221205_104422.jpg (183.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20221205_104515.jpg (154.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20221205_104518.jpg (265.2 KB, 25 views)
Bs106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is a link that might be of help to you.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ion-10758.html

Welcome aboard and good luck with that leak.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Leaks are very hard to track down. Does it just leak when or right after a rain?
Are there any water lines in that area? From your pictures it is hard to tell. Everything looks to be sealed but who knows. What is directly above the leak? Sorry for all the questions but when trying to diagnose from miles away they may help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thank you for the replies!

It only shows up right after it rains!
And you can see there's nothing really above it, the closest thing to it is the bathroom skylight which you see in the 3rd picture but this is more back and center
Old 12-06-2022, 06:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Like Dan stated--leaks can be hard to track down. Just because you see water on the floor, doesn't necessarily mean the leak is directly right above it. Water has a way of running the route of least resistance.
It could be coming in around a window, or any other hole they cut in the sidewall for something. I'm not saying it isn't leaking from the roof, just pointing out it could be from coming from some place other.

I think you going to have to give your camper a through inspection from top to bottom. Including the sides and ends. Any caulk that has a crack should be dug out, area cleaned and re caulked. These things require a lot om maintenance. Yearly inspections are a must. I find on mine there is caulking that needs attention every year.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I see a roof that is beyond its service life with all the cracking in it. The curve of the roof will force water to the sides. Check the roof as it folds over the sides and under the rail for cracks. Don’t walk on the roof but check for soft spot in that area.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the inputs. Super helpful. I will go ahead and heed all of your recommendations.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

660catman, it's a 2015 so not that old to where roof should be needing replacement. Do you think I could get away with cleaning and then coating rv roof paint and re sealing all areas that need?
Old 12-07-2022, 01:37 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Leak somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs106 View Post
660catman, it's a 2015 so not that old to where roof should be needing replacement. Do you think I could get away with cleaning and then coating rv roof paint and re sealing all areas that need?

Not sure where you’re located but heat kills these roofs. Without actually seeing it in person I see widespread cracks in it that needs a professional opinion. Cleaners and sealers might just be lipstick.
I had a friend with leaking issues. Where the roof folds over the side his was cracked about 40% of the length of his camper. He had a severe soft spot which we almost kneeled on. I think he did a quick repair with eternabond tape and self leveling sealant.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Good to know, would not have known that about the part where the roof folds over. It would make sense that it's either coming from there or a soft spot in the roof since there is really nothing directly above or on the upslope side if there was a leak and trickling its way down. And it's cave shaped. Thanks for the information!