Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Leveling and Slide

Greeting Folks

I have a question regarding how to level my trailer.

We have owned this Sunset Trail 26BH since 2012 and had some serious issues with it from day 1 with no support from the dealer, nice trailer but,,,,,

To give some background I have always had trouble leveling the trailer. In the beginning I would park and get the trailer level and then put the slide out, now the trailer is on a definite slant towards the slide. So I started getting close and then putting the slide out to do the final adjustment which would mean moving back or forwards to get wheels up on blocks, and then sometimes I would need to crawl under and jack a wheel up to put more blocks always on the slide side.

Then the slide started to not work, needed 2 people on each end assisting the slide motor to get the slide in or out. Last year at the end of the year it quit completely. Took it into a dealer and they basicaly had to rebuild the entire slide system and told me it was from moving the slide when the trailer was not level ($2500.00)

So what am I doing wrong? If I added 500 pounds to one side of my truck, 4 feet off the side, my truck would sag on that side and I believe that is what the slide is doing. I also feel that I should not have to crawl under and jack wheels up.

Any suggestions.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Team

This is what we do. Back in and level side to side. Then unhitch and level front to rear then put down the jacks/stabilizers then open the slides. Our camper has 3 slides and we have not had any problems with the slides not working or when out making the camper unlevel.

Maybe this will help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
This is what we do. Back in and level side to side. Then unhitch and level front to rear then put down the jacks/stabilizers then open the slides. Our camper has 3 slides and we have not had any problems with the slides not working or when out making the camper unlevel.

Maybe this will help.
X2
Old 05-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Don't understand the 500lbs in truck comment. Like said, use any flat support to get rv level, disconnect truck and then slide.
Never heard of crawling under to jack up wheel to put blocks underneath.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Well it seems as soon as I put the slide out we can feel a slant maybe 3-4 inches across the floor. It is most noticeable.

I think that when the slide is out, I'm guessing it weighs 500 pounds, it is like hanging a similiar weight 4 feet off the side of my truck and I am sure my truck would sag towards that weight, physics.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrum View Post
Well it seems as soon as I put the slide out we can feel a slant maybe 3-4 inches across the floor. It is most noticeable.

I think that when the slide is out, I'm guessing it weighs 500 pounds, it is like hanging a similiar weight 4 feet off the side of my truck and I am sure my truck would sag towards that weight, physics.
If you put jack stands under the frame of the truck it would not sag. That comes from the springs compressing. If you have the stabilizers/jacks down and tight the trailer level should not change.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I back in check site level then pull ahead then back in and level trailer using plywood boards on the low side.
Then I put jacks down and stabilize trailer.
Put slide out recheck level. Usually pretty close.
I don’t use the stabilizer jacks to level trailer.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We back into our site. Then use a bubble level inside to see how it’s sitting. We use the leveling blocks (We keep four bags of blocks)to get it level side to side. Then unhook and level it front to back. I have a small green level mounted to the front side of the camper close to the button of the front jacks. That way I can raise or lower and watch the green level. Just make sure if you mount a green level to the camper; it has to be level before you mount it.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I can relate to the OP's levelling challenges. Carpenter's levels, bubble levels, in and out of the truck checking to see if I'm level yet, etc. etc. Frustration won out for me and I broke down and bought a LevelMate Pro, wireless vehicle levelling system. Download the app to your phone and once you've done the initial setup with the trailer being level, you can level your trailer anywhere, anytime in a fraction of the time it took before, and with a whole lot less frustration. And it recalls your landing gear height so that you can back right into the king pin blindfolded (well not quite but you get the idea!). Best after market goodie I've bought for my rig. Doug

"The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"
divey is offline   Reply With Quote