Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #41
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I'll chime in here:

1.) You should level before opening slide. Use floor, stove, or whatever and it should be reasonably close for the fridge. The fridge should be level, but it is somewhat forgiving. Slides are VERY important - mine noticably struggled to open with unlevel camper in driveway.

2.) I have heard bad things like "void warranty" with slide supports. These things are built to be used. Running in/out may help keep seals from sticking, but ours stays open 6 months at a time with no issue. I just make sure it is level and seals get maintained.

Hope this is a worthy contribution!
x2. At least in my case I don't think it would be a warranty issue since the CR owner's manual recommends the supports. However that may no longer be the case for newer units.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #42
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
My concern is for the long term when there are 5-6 adults sitting in the slide, that is a lot of unsupported weight.
But it IS supported by the structure.... So you think the designers were wrong in their calculation for the intended purpose

Awhile back went to a Frank Lloyd Wright home called Falling Waters in Pa built in 1936 with a HUGE cantilevered 30' section over a waterfall that still stands somehow.

like I said - have fun with YOUR stuff.. and hope your decisions work for you.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #43
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
But it IS supported by the structure.... So you think the designers were wrong in their calculation for the intended purpose

Awhile back went to a Frank Lloyd Wright home called Falling Waters in Pa built in 1936 with a HUGE cantilevered 30' section over a waterfall that still stands somehow.

like I said - have fun with YOUR stuff.. and hope your decisions work for you.
I'm thinking that maybe the designers working on the slides also have input on the "great" Chinese tires they supply. Been to Falling Waters, that's no Crossroads.
Good discussion.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #44
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
They don't recommend supports under the slide.
If something would happen that caused the trailer to drastically settle on that side, it would/could cause a lot of damage.
OK, I have the same rig- a Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB. WHO doesn't recommend using a slide support? I just bought a set & went out to put them under the slide & discovered this slide is flat underneath.
I am a full-timer who camp hosts for six months at a time. This is not [by far] my first rig with a slide, but, it is my first new rig with a slide.
I want to do this right...
Riobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #45
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
I have a couple of comments on the slide-out. Pg 20 of my owners manual states that "for extended stays it is advisable to add support blocks under the slide".
Pg 48 says" for extended stays move the room in and out once or twice a week to help keep the seals and internal parts lubricated".
I use the supports but don't move the slide in/out during our five month stay.
What kind of supports do you use? The ones I bought are 'U' shaped on top, but, my slide is flat underneath...
Old 02-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #46
Seasonal Camper

I've seen the U shaped one. If you want to use the supports, they are meant to be used under the gear rails as far to the outside as possible.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #47
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCowboy View Post
I've seen the U shaped one. If you want to use the supports, they are meant to be used under the gear rails as far to the outside as possible.
See, that's the problem! I don't have any rails...
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #48
Seasonal Camper

And that is the crux of the issue. The bottom/floor of the slides are there to support furniture and people, so putting a slide support directly under the slide bottom can cause issues.

I've seen this same topic debated at many other RV websites and there really is no clear answer.

Unless, of course, the use of these supports are specifically prohibited by the RV manufacturer.

In the case of my 2016 trailer, page 20 of the Owner Manual states that, for slide outs, "In extended use situations, it is advisable to add support blocks under the slide - room. Do not raise the room. Just touch the bottom."

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #49
Full Time Camper

You must have the swintech or cable slides. You could use the u shaped ones and put a 2x4 the length of the slide and put the supports on each end. Just snug up lightly to the bottom of the slide for extra support. Check them frequently if you are setup on a soft structure as dirt or gravel. Asphalt and concrete would not need to check as much. I used them for 15 years thinking they help. This last trailer I have not used them and in a 1 1/2 year of full timing have had no issues without them
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #50
Site Team

I've owned 3 different units with slides and I have never used any type of support under the slides. I don't see why some seem to think it's necessary.

Not one of our rigs had any information stating it was required. In fact they use to warn against supporting them.
Myself, I don't ever intend to use any supports under the slides.

Now, this is my opinion, and the way I see it. You will have to decide for yourself what is best for you and your unit.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #51
Full Time Camper

If you use those supports under the slides , make sure you support the frame in front and behind the wheels on the slide side with a jack of some kind in case one or both of the tires losses air and the trailer is supported by the slide. You cannot trust the stabilizer to hold weight.This would push the slide up higher than it should and cause more problems than you are trying to solve.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #52
Weekend Camper

Finally! A definitive answer. I managed to find out that I have a BAL slide. [I that found out from LCI since my manual says I have a Lippert slide]
I wrote to BAL customer service with a complete explanation of my situation, including photographs. This is the reply I received in its entirety...
"Reva, thanks for you inquiring on BAL product, the slide room in your coach should be fine without the jacks, stating that, if you feel placing jacks or some type of cribbing to enhance any movement as you say your spending longer stays, either way you can't be wrong, thanks
Sent from my iPhone"
So, as you can see, the question is answered, with a definite maybe, and now everything is now as clear as mud!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #53
Full Time Camper

Nice. Would expect nothing less than a corporate answer.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote