Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Has anyone ever filed a claim or heard of doing so with their insurance carrier to have their roof replaced?
My roof has a small (2 inch) tear in the middle of the front roof and it was denied by my dealer under warranty. They suggested I file a claim, personally, I think I can get by with Eternabond and lap sealant for at least the upcoming season and the deal with it in the winter when we are using it much.
Best regards,
John
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Why did your dealer deny the claim???? Is it the factory or the extended warranty? Also, have you tried contacting Crossroads directly??

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Factory warranty, which ends in mid May. Since I had a few scratches on one side, caused by a rubbing a tree while backing into a spot one trip, they said I must have had a tree scrap and tear it. I argued with them, but they wouldn't budge.

I hear you on the calling Crossroads directly and all, and I'll work that, I just got it back this weekend. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used insurance to replace their roof for such a thing.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I can see both sides. A rip would imply something "ripped" it. This would not be covered under warranty. If it was at seam and came loose, then it should be covered under warranty.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I can see both sides. A rip would imply something "ripped" it. This would not be covered under warranty. If it was at seam and came loose, then it should be covered under warranty.

I agree.
I would be surprised if insurance does anything either. They tend to look at things like that as -- abuse or neglect.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

That is what insurance is for. You have to weigh your deductible against the cost to fix. I would be willing to bet a patch is all they would agree to and that it is less than your deductible.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
That is what insurance is for.
I have to disagree with you on this one Tim.
You pay insurance for accident. Not abuse and/or neglect, and a lot of times the agent or the adjuster will do the deciding whether it was accident or abuse/neglect .

I'm not pointing a finger at anybody here. Just making a statement.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

What I am saying is that if he had hit a tree and the tear was caused from that then it could be an insurance claim. If you hit a pole with you TV for example and do some bumper or fender damage is the same thing. It was an accident and accidents is why we have insurance. Abuse or neglect is a totally different animal. The OP said he had hit a tree and if a tree limb had caused the rip in the roof than it should be covered. However I don't see him getting a complete new roof and patching it wouldn't even meet the deductible. Fixing the scratches or gouges and patching the roof might. OP didn't say what caused tear and he may not know. If you where trying to pull the TT across a field and thru the woods to grandma's house with no roads I could see an insurance co stating abuse, but if you caught a tree at a campground while getting to your spot I could see it being covered.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #29
Site Team

I'd still go with the Eternabond patch. One less strike on your insurance record.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #30
Seasonal Camper

I didn't realize my post would generate some much discussion.

First to be as clear as possible. I have not abused, misused nor neglected my trailer as some seem to think. Call it what you want... a tear, rip, split, etc.. But there was no evidence of anything hitting or scraping the top of the trailer to cause this. I only noticed it when installing my vent covers in March.

Second, my post was a bit misleading, I didn't hit or rub a tree, a branch scrapped the side about halfway up the passenger side, but not on the roof. Besides, I was backing in, and the damaged area is at the front of the trailer.

Lastly, I'll accept responsibility for the repairs, not trying to get Crossroads to pony up for it. I don't have proof that I didn't cause it, although there is none that I did either, as it is one spot and it looks more like it just split. But I can live with it, unlike most people who post here.

I merely asked if anyone had ever used their insurance for something like this.

Regards
Old 04-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

I hit a tree branch sticking out near the road in a campground. Tore a 12" slice in the roof membrane just below the roof line radius on the drivers side. I repaired it on the trip with eternabond tape until I got home. It held so well I left it and it has been 4 years now. I called the insurance company and they would replace the roof minus deductible but I left it as is. They considered it as an accident not "abuse".
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
I didn't realize my post would generate some much discussion.

First to be as clear as possible. I have not abused, misused nor neglected my trailer as some seem to think. Call it what you want... a tear, rip, split, etc.. But there was no evidence of anything hitting or scraping the top of the trailer to cause this. I only noticed it when installing my vent covers in March.

Second, my post was a bit misleading, I didn't hit or rub a tree, a branch scrapped the side about halfway up the passenger side, but not on the roof. Besides, I was backing in, and the damaged area is at the front of the trailer.

Lastly, I'll accept responsibility for the repairs, not trying to get Crossroads to pony up for it. I don't have proof that I didn't cause it, although there is none that I did either, as it is one spot and it looks more like it just split. But I can live with it, unlike most people who post here.

I merely asked if anyone had ever used their insurance for something like this.

Regards

John, I think you misinterpreted the meaning of what was being discussed here. By no means was I insinuating you were abusing your trailer, and I don't think Tim was either. My intent was merely to point out how insurance will sometimes view a claim.
So if you took offense at what I posted, I'm sorry. It was not intended to be a reflection on you at all.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #33
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
John, I think you misinterpreted the meaning of what was being discussed here. By no means was I insinuating you were abusing your trailer, and I don't think Tim was either. My intent was merely to point out how insurance will sometimes view a claim.
So if you took offense at what I posted, I'm sorry. It was not intended to be a reflection on you at all.
No, not at all. I thought the question was simply has anyone used their insurance for roof repair. Best of luck with it. You probably have already but if not get it patched! You also have a duty to prevent further damage as far as your insurance company is concerned.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4