Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Manual Slide-out Operation

Can someone tell me where the manual slide-out access is located on my 2012 Sunset Trail RE30?
Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Anybody know where the access is located?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Ranger, I have a different model and year than you. But the controllers for my inwall slides are located below the entertainment center. Inwall slides have a gear rack on top and bottom on both sides of the slide (not sure what you have). Also you can go to lci1support.com website and poke around there they have a ton of info on their site. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If your are asking how to run the slide out manually...ours is a 2018 and have an adapter to put in a drill and fit directly to the motor which is in the center of the slide-out at the top inside...hope this helps if not I can send picd
Monday blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

This would totally depend on what slide mechanisms your are.
Is it a Hydraulic unit? One that uses a hydraulic ram to move the slide.
Is it a motor and a cable system? Much like a winch.
Is it a "scissor" mechanics?
Or is it one that has a "worm track on each side of the slide at the top and bottom? Small motor turns a gear on a shaft at the top and bottom that fits in the worm track.
So many different types

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Do you know what kind of slide you have?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2014 Sunset Trail 250RB with a slide. I always wondered if there was a manual crank for this. I've been all over this trailer and never spotted anything that looked like it would work. I hope someone comes up to where to look.

Mark, if you have a picture of yours please post one. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

My slide has the worm gear setup on both sides, but I still cannot locate any sign of the electric motor(s) and/or any way to manually operate the slide. My neighbor had a problem with his motorhome slide and had to drive it home with the slide out, fortunately he was less than 10 miles from home. I just like to be prepared in case I have a similar issue.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

If you have the worm tracks on the side of the slide, then! At the top, probably need to pull the rubber seal back a bit you will find 1 motor on each side at the top.

Once you have the motor located it should be attached to the rod which turns and has the gears that are tracking in the tracks.

There is NO manual method of operation.

You must disconnect the small motors from the rods (1 at each end of the slide, front and back), I understand it is attached with an Allen screw in a collar connecting motor shaft and rod. Once you locate the screw and loosen it, using a screw-driver pry up to get the motor un-attached from the rod. Once you have accomplished that the slide will move (supposedly) by pushing on each end from either the inside t to get slide out, or the outside to get the slide in.

DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THE DRIVE MOTOR DISENGAGED. You will end up with the slide on the ground at the first corner.

To be on the safe side measure between the wall (Inside) and the top of the slide. Cut 3 2X4's to snuggle fit in that space in the event that you must disconnect these motors. That way you can get the slide in and travel home.

I have twin boys and for the last 3 years of camping the only way to get the slide in or out was to have 1 of them on each end to either push or pull to get the slide in or out. Last year wife and I went on our own and just about did not get the slide in when we were packing up. I called and had it booked in for a repair. The dealer ended up taking the whole slide out and replacing everything that has anything to do with slide operation except the actually motors or controller. $2500.00 later I got the trailer back.

Not real happy with this system.

Good luck

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Thanks egrum for the info. It would appear that I should get the manual on this slide for, hopefully, the unlikely event that it craps out. There were three different crank handles that came with the trailer when I bought it used. I found what two were used for but the third was an unknown and thought it may be for the slide but couldn't find the connection. Good to know stuff in the event of..........
Old 06-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I viewed some of the youtube videos from "My RV Works" and the guy did an excellent job demonstrating how the worm gear system works. I hope I never have issues with the slide, but at least I have some ideas to consider if I do. Another thing I gained was how to properly lubricate the system to prevent problems, I am all about preventative maintenance! I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Team

If you go to our Documents section of this forum, you will find multiple manuals on the Schwintek slides.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

When I bought my trailer, the RV tech told me where the manual mechanism was, but I haven't checked to verify.

Inside the trailer, in the middle of the slide at the top is a square piece of wood that joins the trim. There are 4 screws holding that piece of wood in. Supposedly, if I remove those screws, the mechanism will be exposed. I think the same crank that works on the stabilizer jacks will work on that mechanism.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
When I bought my trailer, the RV tech told me where the manual mechanism was, but I haven't checked to verify.

Inside the trailer, in the middle of the slide at the top is a square piece of wood that joins the trim. There are 4 screws holding that piece of wood in. Supposedly, if I remove those screws, the mechanism will be exposed. I think the same crank that works on the stabilizer jacks will work on that mechanism.
You have the BAL AccuSlide cable drive system. In the event of a motor that won't drive you have a tool that looks like a piece of thick cable with a square drive in one end and a hex shaft on the other. You can insert the tool in the end of the gearbox and use a drill to drive the slide in and out.
However, it doesn't do any good if you have a broken cable or pulley. I blew out a gearbox, and the tool has no use in that case either.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Unfortunately, egrum's post seems to memic my slide set-up, a "Schwintech H-Column". From the "My RV Works" youtube I watched, egrum is correct in that my slide "does not" have a manual operation (poor engineering in my opinion). I do plan on cutting 3 - 2x4s to anchor the slide in as per egrum's suggestion, should I find myself in a position of having to disconnect the motors to manual retract the slide.