Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New Crossroads Sunset Trail 250RB Help

Newbie just purchased 2016 Sunset Trail 250RB. Anyone have any advice about RV? Thoughts? What to be aware of? Thanks!
GBZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Congrats on joining the club. We also have a 25RB and have liked it with our first year. It tows well and like most other people have had our usual problems. The pre-delivery inspection is very important. Having a reputable dealer is also important. Some of our issues were a faulty electric distribution panel, faulty LP gas regulator, bad toilet seal, coax connectors at the rear of the unit. This is our second TT and we have really enjoyed it.

Storage is wonderful for the wife, floor plan is ideal and the mattress is very comfy. Ours is the memory foam type. Power awning is a breeze and the outdoor kitchen is ideal. I am still trying to solve the tv issue inside where it can be articulated so that we both see a full picture while on the sofa.

Take it out for a breakdown cruise and keep tract of the problems that you might encounter. The holding tanks are a bit undersized so pay attention to your levels. Good luck and enjoy you trailer.
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for your comments CubFan. We have not taken delivery yet. Just completed the paperwork yesterday. RV is 2 hour drive away. I will need to go back to dealer in few weeks when I can get day off work. I'm trading in our first RV (smaller) we purchased just last May. Did not find any negatives about dealership. Salesman was great. First dealt with him at an RV show 3 weeks ago. Not pushy and knew the deal had to be right for me or no purchase. Seemed to take care of our best interest, including our worries about towing. Will be towing with 2004 Ford Expedition 5.4 ltr. RV will come with Weight Distribution mechanism. Thanks again for the advice. We will take note and double check on Walk-Thru and delivery.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:51 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I'm in Florida with my 250rb right now. First long trip. I have no major complaints. A small inconvenience is that I can't get into the bathroom with the slide in. I had never had a slide before, really need to pay attention when putting it in or out, it seems like a stop/limit switch on it would be a good idea.

I don't want to seem like a member of the "towing police" but be very careful pulling the trailer with your Expedition. We have a 2004 Expedition 4x4, wife's car, and I don't think I'd want to pull our 250rb with it. The wheelbase is kind of short. Make sure you have sway bars with your weight distribution hitch and take it easy.

Here's the 2004 Ford towing guide:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...s/2004_All.pdf

Unless your Expedition came with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package you will be over limit.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks KingFisher for your reply. I have looked at the fleet ford resources and took the numbers to the RV dealer. I too, at first, was thinking I would be over weight. Salesman assured me we would be fine. Yes, the sway bars ill be installed as well. We don't make long trips(yet). Before taking ownership of the rv I will make sure the dealer, in writing, agrees that I may return the 250rb if I can't tow it. We looked at several lighter RV's and never felt pressured into buying this one. We'll see.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Hey Guys, Kingfisher stated that he cannot get into bathroom with slide closed. Neither could i with my 25rb until I reversed the door. Just put the left frame piece on the right and right on left. And reverse the door knob , and finally ,put a cupboard stick-on bumper on the side of the toilet where the door will touch it. Works perfect . Another thing is to cut 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood to put under leading edge of slide (one at each end and one under the dinette seat back area) when it is in so you can step on slide with out it pulling the dinette seat back from the slide wall.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Won't work on a 2016 harley. I've measured it out.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBZY View Post
Thanks KingFisher for your reply. I have looked at the fleet ford resources and took the numbers to the RV dealer. I too, at first, was thinking I would be over weight. Salesman assured me we would be fine. Yes, the sway bars ill be installed as well. We don't make long trips(yet). Before taking ownership of the rv I will make sure the dealer, in writing, agrees that I may return the 250rb if I can't tow it. We looked at several lighter RV's and never felt pressured into buying this one. We'll see.

Thanks

First thing you have to realize is the fact that most salesmen will say what ever it takes to make the sale. That's how they make their living.

Then you have to make sure just who decides whether you can tow it comfortably, and safely. You, or the salesman.

I would strongly urge you to go by the towing specs for your vehicle.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:

Thanks
Check your tires on the truck if they are P rated you need to go to a LT tire
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Team

One more thing to remember---once you buy the trailer, your relationship with the salesman has changed. You more then likely won't be dealing with him any more. If you are in need of service work, then you will be dealing with the service manager and the shop crew. Some of which are good, and some that are not.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Congrats on the new trailer. If you did your homework and are satisfied with the deal that is all that matters. I do caution you on CR customer service. Be sure to make the time to thoroughly go over every thing twice as soon as possible. Triple check your roof and ensure that their are no issues.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thank you for all the comments. All will be taken into consideration before signing papers.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Thanks
I like my trailer well enough that if I found I needed more towing capacity, I'd just buy a new tow vehicle.
I did just that in fact. My 2015 colorado was rated for 7000 pounds and at the high limit for pulling this trailer. I had a jayco before which weighed 1000 pounds less. I pulled the 250rb home, 35 miles, then to a job, 130 miles, and the colorado crew cab handled it fine.
Still traded for a 2015 silverado double cab 4x4 with a 9200 pound capacity and I feel much safer now. The way the wind and the hills treated us on the way to Florida I'm really glad I made the trade, I feel much safer going down the road.

Guy pulled a 5th wheel in with a 2500hd chevy yesterday and I was thinking "man that would really yank this trailer of mine down the road", it never ends. I think they call it 2footitis. But he said he was only getting 14.5 mpg empty and I get 20 hauling my clubs to the golf course with no trailer so I should just stay where I am.

Got around 9.5 mpg pulling my trailer to Florida and was kind of disappointed, was hoping for 11-12.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:55 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Something else, even though my trailer says it's 5473 pounds or something like that on the side, there's no telling what it weighs when I'm taking it down the road. I won't know unless I take it to a scale. It's amazing how much stuff I take with me.

In truck cab, probably 425 with me, wife, and 100 pound dog.
No telling in back of truck. full cooler, 6 ft ladder, golf clubs, electric golfing push cart, 5 6x6's 18 inches long, full dog food container, emergency water, dog kennel, and the 200 pound camper shell I put on the truck.

In trailer, half load of water (13 gallons just in case), full refrigerator, full propane bottles, lanterns, canned goods, bunch of clothes, chairs, tools, cables to lock stuff up and cable to tie dog up, dog stakes to tie dog up, laptop, outside tv, coffee pot, liquor, rifle and 500 rounds in case there's a shooting range nearby, handguns, it goes on and on.

Wife has been making a list of what we need to bring next time that we didn't bring this time. I told her she should also make a list of things we didn't use so we won't bring them next time.

Don't use list is empty so far. (I could make a good sized list of female type products we don't need, when I'm by myself the bathroom counter is pretty much empty but now I can't hardly set a matchstick on it, but I know better than to make those suggestions).Things we need list is growing by the day and includes 2 bicycles. All this stuff weighs something and adds up quick. We're just learning as we go.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Congratulations on the Sunset Trail and welcome to the forum.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 25 nights in 8 states, 4611 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Something I did during delivery which was kind of silly was made a video of each aspects of the trailer. Stuff as simple as hooking up water and power to emptying the storage tanks. I then took the videos and made a DVD complete with chapters / sections, so I can skip around to different parts.

I have used it twice already and it was worth the time and effort. I also keep the repair manual on that DVD as well, just in case. I took my GoPro but ended up doing it with my phone cause the guy doing deliver (PDI) didn't want to wait for my GoPro and my phone had enough memory and battery to do it.
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Thanks, Planned on doing a video. This a big step up from our single axle 18 footer. I too pi and made a video for it an referred to tm several times. Thanks for the reminder. We will not be taking ownership until the end of February.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Enjoy your new rv, we have the same one and absolutely love it. Use it about 6 months a year and it is great. We had problems at first with the sky light over the show leaking, maybe have them run a hose over the top of the trailer above the shower and let the water run and check for leaks as quite a few people had that problem and also the santiflush check that run water thru it and look under the bathroom sink and make sure that is not leaking. Not a big deal but a pain if you take it home and have to drag it back. Good luck and enjoy. We pull our RV with a Ram 1500 rated at 10500 lbs.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Buyer Beware

Check the reviews on the RVs and the dealer before you purchase. Our Crossroads was the worst purchase of anything that we made in 35 years (the trailer and the dealer).
HappyValleyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:39 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

The 25 RB has over 825 lb hitch weight, make sure your vehicle can handle this. When we had our RV in to have the front cap repainted the painter had hooked our RV up to his heavy duty truck and commented wow these sunset trails are front heavy. I was worried pulling it with our RAM pick up rated at 10500 lbs, but coming to a dead stop on the Seven Mile Bridge when a motor cycle passed us and then decided to do a U-turn and we stopped before hitting him and stayed absolutely straight. Thought for sure we would be heading over the bridge. So be sure you can stop.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote