Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are new members to this forum and bought a '11 Sunset Trail 25RB Reserve recently. We have been very satisfied with our dealer and travel trailer so far. However, our slide out motor went out camping last week and was very difficult to manually get back in (push hard while someone is holding down the slide out in button and reset the control box under TV several times) to get back home. It is being repaired under warranty now. You tube had several good videos on lippert slide outs and how they work etc. Have others had problems with their slide outs? I believe the Sunset Trail has a newly designed slide out with the motors in the upper wall. Other than this very happy with.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Here is the You tube link with information about the new Lippert Schwintek slide system the Sunset Trail uses and how to access the motors in the wall:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
I've only used the slide on my new 25RB a few times. It makes alot of weird noises compared to other slides I've used, but it seems to work ok. It was an eye opener to see the salesman rock other makes slides from the outside, but could not budge the sunset trail.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We just picked up our 2012 ST25RB Feb 11th, and used it for the first time on our vacation to Florida. Between the sales demo when we picked it up, and couple of stop overnighters on route as well as setting up in Florida campground, slide out has worked flawlessly. I have seen you tube video's as well as actual manufacturers website video on how to disengage motors in event of failure....seems simple enough, but hopefully never have to do it myself. I will have to invest in a short ladder though just in case I need to reach up there to disengage both motors. Other forums I have read seem to suggest this slide out mechanism is one of the better ones. Sorry to hear you had a problem with yours. I'm always a little nervous when it comes time to "bring in" the slide. Last trailer we had (Citation) had no slide so that was never a concern. But after having the slide would never buy a trailerwithout! Wincrasher was right about the weird humming noises slide makes just seconds before it either extends or retracts, butslide does come in nice & evenly. Good luck in the future & happy trails!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I can't say that the slide on our 29ss is "flawless" but it does come in and out eventually. At times I have to release and repress the slide switch because one side is not moving, if I see it is getting crooked I stop and start again and it always works...sometimes I have to do this 3 or 4 times. Like I said it always comes in or out but I'm usually holding my breath that it will work. BTW, Doesn't matter if the TT is on shorepower or battery power. Glad the youtube video was posted, makes me feel better that I should be able to fix or replace the slide motors if needed.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies. It was good to hear that others have not had serious issues with their slides. It turns out that ours had a jammed slide motor and the dealer was able to get to the motor and work it free. It seems to work fine now. Now my plan is to access the motor myself in case I get stuck again, I will be able to disengage the motor from the rails and slide it back in manually. Back to camping.