Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello, we just picked up our 32BH last Friday. We are new to the RV world and decided to jump in with both feet right off the bat. We even took it right out to Moraine View State Park for a test run last Saturday. Snow on the ground when we got there, rain overnight, mud everywhere in the morning, but the whole family had a great time!

I was wondering for those of you have the power stabilizers, do they have a shut off when a certain load is reached? Since they both go down at the same rate, will one keep going when the other stops? I used 2x6s on one side to keep them even, but I think I could have put more pressure on them. The dealer had me nervous because he said if they had too much weight on them, they could break. Now I see where some other manufacturers have them where one side gets under load and the other side keeps going. I was just wondering if anyone knew so I didn't have to gamble with trying it myself.
BuffaloDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Not sure if they will stop at a certain load. But as with many fifth wheel front leveling jackswhere both sides lower together,the legs are adjustable and then an aftermarket adjustable foot to allow you the ability to make both legs the same distance from the ground before lowering. If the legs have no adjustments, blocking will need to be used to compensate for unlevel ground. Blocking the wheels to level the unit side-to-side before lowering the stabilizers. Their names says it all, stabilizers, they are not intended to be used to jack the trailer into a level position. You are supposed to level and then the stabilizers are only to be used to minimizethe shake. If you don't level first, you run the risk of twisting your frame and thenmessing up your slide outs.
Edited by: BDLuke
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Once one sidereaches the ground, the other side will keep going down until it reaches the ground, then you should have even pressure on both sides but like BDLuke says, should not use them to further jack up the trailer, they should just make it feel stable, etc.
Edited by: Utahgoldrup
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Welcome and congrats on the new rv. Always level first. We always carry extra lumber in different lengths and widths for under the wheels either both sides or one side to level them thenlike BDLuke states use them to stabalize only. Hope you make new camping memories

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks everybody! That helps answer my question. I was basically wondering if Iwas in a situation where I used3 boards under my wheels on one sideto level, if I would need 3 boards under the stabilizers on that side as well. I just don't want to carry around half a lumberyard just in case!
BuffaloDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

A lot more campgrounds are providing level sites, but not all. So you will have to carry a certain amount of lumber or the plastic leveling blocks.

Glad for the information on the power stabilizers as I have not had the chance to use mine on a unlevel site yet
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Your jacks will equalize from side to side. When one side hits the ground and the other is still in the air, the whole motor/screw assembly slides until the other foot hit the ground then it will stabilize equally.

Dave

Hensley Arrow
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I agree with everyone about stabilizers being used only to stabilize. I had some recent first hand experience with the stabilizers, they will lift the trailer wheels completely off the ground. At least my replacement motor had enough power to. Replacement motor due to original motor burning up because of bad switch. Anyway, if you apply to much pressure as my second motor and/or switch drove the stabilizer down and totally lifted my camper wheels of the ground it will bend the stabilizer frame system. I had to remove the stabilizer frame and bend everything back to normal.So long story short becareful with the stabilizers. Not completely sure why it drove itself down sitting in my back hard. Beginning to think remote control may have something to do with it.

2012 ST26BH - 2008 Chevy Silverado.
JayLow123 is offline   Reply With Quote