Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My wife and I just purchased a 2007 29RL after being out of trailering for 25 years. The trailer was purchased new in the spring of 2010 then traded in on a fifth wheel in the fall of 2010.

We have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD so I'm pretty sure we're good to go on that. I'm trying to figure out out to energize the power wire on the wiring harness, if anyone has any advice on where to go to figure that little concern out I'd appreciate the advice.

We are going to do our initial walk through with the service department of the vendor we purchased it through in a couple of months. If anyone has any input on what to look for on this Sunset Trail unit or generic thoughts that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Great trailer - I have one

I'm not sure what you mean about "energizing the wiring harness".

This is a well built trailer. There were some reefer recalls for some '07 & '08 models, so double check to make sure that either yours is not one of them or else the recall has been taken care of. Fit and finish have been good. Double check to make sure the molding around the slide is firmly attached. Closely inspect all roof seams and places screws are attached to make sure there is not water leakage. The outside molding on the front of the unit has separated in some units. Double check that ALL lights are working (the reading lights above the rear window may need to be replaced if left on all the time.

Basically, just do a thorough PDI before you pick it up. I would buy mine again in a heart beat. Let me know if I can help answer any questions.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check the main fuse block in the truck there is a fuse that has to used to power the unit and charge the battery. Pull the fuse and look because some companies put in a smaller on sot it looks good to go

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On both of my 2001 and 2008 GM trucks, with the factory wiring harness for a RV, the "power/hot" wire is lying loose by the brake booster in the engine compartment near the large fuse box. Connect this wire to one of the lugs on the side of the fuse box (I have two lugs- one 40 and one 30A) The fuses should already be installed. The wire may be wrapped up and tied and difficult to see at first.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

We have the same trailer 29rl only problem we had was left front axle.replaced on warrenty.awsome trailer love it 200 nites in 2010.

07 sunset trail 29rl

05 dodge quad cab hemi
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Bingo, that did it - thanks