Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 958px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 200px; min-height: 200px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 809px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; : left; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">Hello all,

I have been working on this issue as I purchased a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 31BH which has a TV that swivels to the bedroom... The only problem is there is no audio out in the Jensen DVD therefore no sound through TV speakers and since no speakers in bedroom no sound at all when watching a DVD. Here is the information I received and I would recommend contacting this same person from crossroads that I have been to coordinate a prompt solution. AKA.. Replace out the current receiver with one that will properly function as designed..

On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:57 AM, "Chris Charles" &lt;ccharles@crossroadsrv.com&gt; wrote:

<blockquote ="cite"="">
<o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="place"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="Street"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="PostalCode"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="State"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="City"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="address"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="Pers&#111;nName"><div ="secti&#111;n1"="" style="page: Secti&#111;n1; "><st1:city w:st="&#111;n"><st1lace w:st="&#111;n">Wayne</span></st1lace></st1:city>,</span></span>I have done some research on this and you are correct, I’m working with engineering on coming up with a solution however I do not have one as of now.. I will keep you posted on what I find in regards to a possible solution to this!</span></span>
Chris Charles</span></span>Service, Sales&amp; SupportCrossRoads RV</span>Email:ccharles@crossroadsrv.com</span>Phone:260.593.2866ext.431</span></span>Cell:574.320.0935</span></span><st1:address w:st="&#111;n"><st1:street w:st="&#111;n">305 Hawpatch Drive</span></st1:street>,<st1:city w:st="&#111;n">Topeka</st1:city>,<st1:state w:st="&#111;n">IN</st1:state><st1ostalcode w:st="&#111;n">46571</st1ostalcode></span></st1:address></span>www.crossroadsrv.com</span></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></blockquote></span></td></tr><tr ="postSeparatorTableRow" style="height: 10px; : rgb235, 238, 247; "></tr></t></table>
</span>

awresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

As promised I am adding the latest update. I did reply if they will be replacing this with a Jensen unit that will actually work and am waiting for a response. Jensen did confirm they make a unit that can be swapped out exactly but will have audio out options for the TV. Now just waiting to see crossroads will do to correct their "design mishap".
<st1:city w:st="&#111;n"><st1lace w:st="&#111;n">Wayne</span></st1lace></st1:city>,</span></span>Believe it or not is working properly, but when we designed the swivel system engineering didn’t account for the dvd player in the bedroom issue. It’s more of a design mishap then a defect. Please understand that all units we made are setup on the same system and this has to be something that if we fix we’re able to fix for all units!</span></span><div style="font-family: Helvetica; line-height: normal; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; font-size: medium; ">Chris Charles</span></span>Service, Sales&amp; SupportCrossRoads RV</span>Email:ccharles@crossroadsrv.com</span>Phone:260.593.2866 ext.431</span></span>Cell:574.320.0935</span></span><st1:address w:st="&#111;n"><st1:street w:st="&#111;n">305 Hawpatch Drive</span></st1:street>,<st1:city w:st="&#111;n">Topeka</st1:city>,<st1:state w:st="&#111;n">IN</st1:state><st1ostalcode w:st="&#111;n">46571</st1ostalcode></span></st1:address></span>www.crossroadsrv.com</span>
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

How are you getting video from the DVD to the tv? With video connections usually there are audio connections as well. I have no problem getting sound to the tv with my Sunset Trail but it is a 2011.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I have the same issue with my 2013 ST22BH. I posted my concern in an older post.
I too will send a request as I found it very annoying. It is even worse that my tv has no audio output so I can not listen to that through the speakers in the ceiling.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

The connections on the back of the Jensen are Video out and Audio in. With the design of the Jensen, there is no way to get the audio to go to the TV because there is not audio output on the Jensen unit. If you pull out the four screws and pull out the unit, you can see it on the back of the Jensen. They should have put the HDMI version of the Jensen in the and run an HDMI cable to the TV, then it might work. It works for the satellite. My friends 31BH did not even have a yellow input on the back of the TV for the video, it had the red, green, and blue connections with a yellow cable running into one of those colors. The video played in black and white, the dealer ordered him a new Jensen, but he needs a different TV. There is not as much thought and design put into the electronics of the TV/satellite/DVD/cable/stereo as there should be. Always have to modify. Have not figured out how to mod the DVD issue other then an external DVD run into the TV with an HDMI cable or into the yellow input and then run the sound into the Jensen and the TV. Gotta play with it some more unless crossroads comes up with a solution.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I can only speak for my 2013 and the TV in my unit is not like some of the others as I do have both audio in and outs. It also appears the Jensen DVD player they are using is a different model than they did in prior years. I also agree with other comments that more attention should have been given to a/v set up as this is a big deal. I am also confused why they would put a 480i DVD player in a unit that has a 1080p TV. The picture quality of the DVD is 10 years ago. Oh well. In any case here is my latest reply from Crossroads and again I recommend contacting him directly so the wheel squeaks loudly enough to get a prompt resolution......
Our team is looking at a solution for the problem, I’m not sure if that’s going to involve a switch of the radio or not. But we are looking into various options!</span></span><div style="font-family: Helvetica; line-height: normal; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; font-size: medium; ">Chris Charles</span></span>Service, Sales&amp; SupportCrossRoads RV</span>Email:ccharles@crossroadsrv.com</span>Phone:260.593.2866 ext.431</span></span>Cell:574.320.0935</span></span><st1:address w:st="&#111;n"><st1:street w:st="&#111;n">305 Hawpatch Drive</span></st1:street>,<st1:city w:st="&#111;n">Topeka</st1:city>,<st1:state w:st="&#111;n">IN</st1:state><st1ostalcode w:st="&#111;n">46571</st1ostalcode></span></st1:address></span>www.crossroadsrv.com</span>
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I use the red/white/yellow AV cable installed by the factory to deliver audio and video from the Jensen head unit to the Video 1 inputs in the back ot the Toshiba TV. I then installed a second set of red/white audio cables to run from the audio out on the back of the Toshiba TV to the Aux audio input on the back of the Jensen head unit.

This allows me to :

1) listen to the TV through the overhead and outdoor speakers

2) listen to DVDs playing on the Jensen head unit through the TV speakers (without having to have the overhead or outdoorspeakers on for when I want to watch in bed)

I have a single problem with this set up. If I am playing a DVD and have the overhead speakers on at the same time the TV speakers are on, there is echo due to the timing difference for the signals between the sound going straight to the overhead speakers and the TV speakers. The fix? Turn off one set of speakers - either the TV or the overhead.

I ran the additional cable down through the bottom TV swivel (identical to the top swivel, just needed to drill through the wood), into the top swivel of the fireplace (again, had to drill the wood)and out through the bottom swivel of the fireplace (already drilled for the power cord)to the back of the Jensen head unit. Only issue I had was placement of the cord to avoid heat damage from the fireplace. Just ran it around the perimeter in the air space in the box the fireplace sits in.

Works great.

2004 Chevrolet Express 2500 Hi-Top Conversion, 6.0l

2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 32FR
stupotlynn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Stuart,

Glad you found a solution but sounds like a lot of work. What I did for now is move the TV mount up slightly so to allow enough room to mount a Blu Ray player below the TV on the swivel device. Of course the player uses HDMI so I get 1080p quality movies now. The sound works perfectly through the TV speakers and with the TV's audio out cord connected to the Jensen audio in, I am able to run the sound to the campers speakers also if I wish... No issues with sound delay at least using this system..works fantastic both sound and video. Also since the player is mounted with he TV on the swivel, I am able to control playback options while in bed. I did not need to go through any wood or drilling. The player plugs into the power outlet the TV uses in the ceiling and the cords nicely tuck behind the TV leaving a clean look.

Also with this system, I am able to watch a movie using the tv speakers while still using the radio and the outdoor speakers. Great when the kids are watching a movie inside while he parents are sitting by the fire.

Until crossroads updates (if) my Jensen unit to work properly this is a great workaround with no drilling and better function and performance.

Just sharing as this worked great for us.

Wayne
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Stuart, sorry but just noticed you have a 2012. It appears they changed the Jensen unit for 2013 thus causing the issue. He funny thing is my TV now has been updated to solve others issues of not having an audio out in the TV which mine has. The issue is the Jensen DVD unit no longer has audio out jacks..... Just audio in. Therefore no way to get sound ever to the TV with this unit. Looks like they solved one problem by creating another. Best of luck...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Wayne, I like your solution. My TV fills the swivel, so no room to put another unit above, below or beside it. My Jensen head unit also has a connection to add a remote IR sensor so I can control it with my remote, even if not right in front of it. I plan to get that sensor and mount it just under the TV so I can control the Jensen head unit while watching a movie in the bedroom.

HDMI would be a great option.

the solution I used was quite a bit of work, but very functional. I have a TV in teh back for teh kids, so I watch/listen to what I want if we are trapped in the trailer. Thanks for the feedback.

2004 Chevrolet Express 2500 Hi-Top Conversion, 6.0l

2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 32FR
stupotlynn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I too have been trying to get in touch with Chris Charles on this exact same issue awresch. I will let you know if they can do anything from my end too. Bottom line is I was told before purchasing it I would be able to play DVD audio through the TV. I specifically asked because otherwise what good is the swivel TV?
That Jensen supplied with these 2013's is an embarrasment to technology.

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Spoke with Chris Charles this afternoon, he hopes to have some solutions in place late next week. So for now all we can do is sit and wait or buy a blue ray player and install it yourself.

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
New Camper

As of Monday, Aug. 1st new owner of Sunset Trail. Taking our camper out for the first time this weekend to the mountains with no tv reception so we will be needing the DVD player. I didn't check the DVD player yet, is this a problem with all the Jensen systems?
Rocky Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Rocky Top, from what I gather here, this is mostly an issue if your TV swivels between the living room and the bedroom (where there are no overhead speakers). We don't have this feature and the setup on our 2013 30RK works adequately. Generally, you shouldn't have any problems.
Pertaining to DVD playback, the onlything thatI would add is that if you get a black and white picture when playing a DVD, there's nothing wrong with your equipment. I found that the setting for the video input in the TV menu must be changed. I don't remember how it's labeled but our default setting was wrong for the setup. Again, the fix for this isin theTV menu settings for thethatinput.

I know most of you are looking to Crossroads for a solution to the crappy Jensen head unit. However, I don't think they will be providing a premium replacement if &amp; when they do. For you audiophiles, Crutchfield offers a nice upgrade in Concertone ZX85 that has a subwoofer output, 3 speaker zones with the ability to send video to all 3 zones, Bluetooth,additional A/V inputs, SD card slot, etc.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804ZX85/Concertone-ZX85.html#details-tab
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804SWBOX4/Concertone-SW-BOX4.html?tp=48825

My philosophy is usually if it's time to replace something, then it's time to upgrade it too!

2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD & Hensley Arrow
Indy_Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

This is my latest update. Looks like they will be replacing...yayWayne,</span></span>I ordered some different DVD players and now I’m waiting them to come in so that I can see the difference in hardware and get a proper installation time for the service centers who will be swapping them out!</span></span>Sincerely,</span>Chris</span></span><div style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><div style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 3pt; padding-right: 0in; padding-bottom: 0in; padding-left: 0in; border-right-style: n&#111;ne; border-bottom-style: n&#111;ne; border-left-style: n&#111;ne; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb181, 196, 223; border-top-width: 1pt; "><b style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">From:</span>[/b]Wayne Resch [mailto:awresch@hotmail.com]<br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><b style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Sent:[/b]Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:48 AM<br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><b style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">To:[/b]ccharles@crossroadsrv.com<br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><b style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Subject:[/b]RE: Emailing: Toshiba TV Install Process.docx</span><div style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Chris,<br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">I am just following up on your companies decision to correct the DVD sound issue.I am planning to stop into my dealer to get a few items corrected and would hope to have the DVD corrected at the same time.<br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Thanks again for your help.<br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Wayne Resch</span>
</span><div ="ecxMs&#111;normal" align="center" style="line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; text-align: center; "></span></span>
Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Not sure why they are still installing 6-8 year old Jensen systems on new units. Will be replacing mine.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Great news indeed.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

I just picked up a 2012 ST29SS on 8/7/12. After reading this topic I tried my DVD player for the first time today and sound comes from the tv speakers and the ceiling mounted speakers. I did have to shut one or the other off as there was a slight delay and it caused a echo sound. My tv swivels to the bedroom so I was happy to learn that atleast the sound was wired to the TV.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Here is another upgrade option that has 1080i DVD playback and and HDMI output. It also has additional A/V inputs, NOAA weatherband, and is iPod compatible.Since it is a Jensen as well, it should be a drop in without any modification to the cabinet.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...eo-output.html

2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD & Hensley Arrow
Indy_Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Funny I saw this. My wife and I took delivery on our 2013 29ss and wanted to watch a movie in bed one night. Exact issue with our unit, can not use the speakers of the TV to hear anything , only the speakers in the main area OR outside. I'll be heading to the dealer today for some other things and will ask about this and let everyone know what I find out.
mkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote