Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
New Camper

Outdoor Lighting/Decor for year round - Canada

Hello,

This past summer I bought a Sunset Trail Super Lite 222RB. I’ve just recently brought in the awning and skirted it but have not been able to find the greatest outdoor lights besides flood lights & hanging lights. I don’t mind hanging lights but I need a light that’s also going to be pretty bright that has a sensor to put at the front of my RV so it comes on when I drive up. And preferably stays on for a minute or two, but will come on again if it senses I go by.

It was great when my awning was out because the LED’s I could leave on if I got home late or something. Now I don’t have anything.

Lights need to be able to tolerate up to -30. I have two electrical outlets on the outside of my trailer and already have a couple extension cords, I can also combine them to make a very long cord that could power a heavy light I could set on the picnic table or to front of trailer.

I see these “light hooks” on Amazon that apparently make it very easy to string lights right under the rolled up awning. I checked and it seems like I do have the plastic strip they go into, can anyone confirm this?

I’m not a big fan of dinky solar lights as most of the year here we do not get a lot of sun. I could run lights neatly around my RV & frame my kitchen window and then run some along the top with command light string holders but if I can string some of these clips right under the awning with lights that would be ideal. And then a bright sensor light for the front.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

IP67, waterproof & low temperature resistant is important. We get a lot of snow.

PS: do you have any year round decor you leave outside? Have you put fake plants outside? Something on either side of the stairs? Decor that looks nice on a picnic table? Decor that’s also functional?

Let me know! TIA!

PS - I REALLY do NOT want to have to screw a light into the trailer…. but if it’s worth it maybe.
goodnightluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Just from reading your question you must be living in your camper? Are you on your own property or in a long term park? The reason I ask is if you are renting than do they have rules about exterior lighting and outside decorations/décor? If not than do what makes you happy about your space.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Just from reading your question you must be living in your camper? Are you on your own property or in a long term park? The reason I ask is if you are renting than do they have rules about exterior lighting and outside decorations/décor? If not than do what makes you happy about your space.
Very sorry for my late reply. Thank you so much for your response.

Thankfully as far as I know the park I am living in doesn’t seem to have any “official” posted rules about lighting. This park is site owner only and not public. I am renting a site from an owner.

I still haven’t found even a porch light! I really don’t want to screw things into the side of my brand new 222RB and I had no idea it would be next to impossible to find an outdoor weatherproof light with sensor that doesn’t have to be mounted!

I have two outdoor plugs on my trailer and I would really love to use them! I do have two boxes of the outdoor rated Command light hanging clips so at this point I’m wondering if it’s best to just plug in & hang a string of outdoor lights that are plain white for all year use. I’d also have to get an outdoor smart plug as they wouldn’t have a sensor.

Maybe if I go into a Home Depot or something if that nature they would be able to make some recommendations.
goodnightluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, outdoor lighting, rv light