Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2024, 12:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Outlet on crossroads sunset trail

I have a 2017 crossroads sunset trail...I plugged in a ceramic space heater.. when I woke up.. outlet the space heater was plugged in was dead along with the TV outlet plus the outlet on one side of the bed and outlet next to the door... and the outside outlet... two of the dead outlets say cgfi protected... but I can only find two outlets with the Gfci button and they're both functioning fine so it seems the dead ones with the stickers are not really on a GFCI circuit.....is it possible that the ceramic heater wrecked the outlet it was plugged in to and if I replace it will I have a complete circuit and all the outlets will work again?
Smeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:55 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

There is also no power to the outlet the refrigerator is plugged in to
Old 05-29-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Have you checked the power center for a GFCI breaker there? If not I would pull the suspected and check it for power at the wires. Sometimes one outlet feeds other outlets.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
2024: 3 trips, 30 nights in 9 states, 5421 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 09:16 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

GFCI outlets are marked on the back with Line on 1 end and Load on the other. Incoming power from the breaker goes on the Line side. Outgoing power is hooked on the Load side and feeds down line outlets that are marked GFCI Protected. Sometimes those GFCI Recpts can fail and the only way to truly check them is to Volt Meter the Load side connections. If it won't reset you'll most likely need a new GFCI recpt. Take note of which wire was terminated on Line and Load connections. It wont function correctly if terminated incorrectly.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:16 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thank you...I was thinking the same.. pull out the outlets and put a tester on the wires? However.. I understand the RV outlets are enclosed and wires are just pierced..is there a trick to testing them?
Old 05-30-2024, 02:50 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

You probably already thought of these but...
Did you try testing the GFCI outlets , then resetting them? Sometimes they trip but the button sticks.
Also, do you have any GFCI outlets in the storage compartments?
BobRed0965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:37 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I changed the outlet the heater was plugged into...no success....so is it really possible that the GFI outlet could be working but not sending power out?
Old 05-30-2024, 04:43 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Both GFI outlet work fine... yes turned them on and off very many times.... also turned the breakers off and on very many times and I looked in every nook and cranny of this camper for another outlet I didn't know about... looked inside and out..so can a GFI outlet work.. but not allow power past it's outlet?
Old 05-30-2024, 06:16 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Do you have a gfi on an outlet the microwave is plugged into. Should be in the cabinet beside the microwave.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:21 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

No outlet next to microwave.. microwave works
Old 05-31-2024, 08:37 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeds View Post
so can a GFI outlet work.. but not allow power past it's outlet?
Not if it's wired correctly
BobRed0965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:12 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

GFCI Outlets

I've seen those outlets work just fine, Set, Reset with corresponding light working as it should and that recept working just fine, yet have no load output. Thats why you have to get the volt meter out and verify front and back to be sure. Now over the 40 some years I've been a qualified Industrial Electrician it's rare to see this condition, but see it I have. Volt meter should explain exactly where your losing power. Unless you have an invader that loves chewing plastic?
Old 06-04-2024, 03:09 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Went through with a multi meter.. when I put the probe into the two slots.. nothing.. but when I move the black probe to the small ground hole I get 120 volts...on all the outlets that aren't working
Old 06-04-2024, 10:12 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

You Probably have an open neutral!!!

On most recept. your hot wire goes on the Gold colored tabs and the neutral goes on the Silver tabs for both line and load ends on the side of the recept.
Hot wires are normally Black or Red depending on circuit and the neutral should be the White wire. When testing with your VM the smaller slotted opening should be the hot connection and the longer slot should be the neutral. The small rounded portion of the recpt is the ground terminal. When testing I would normally place the red test lead in the small slot on the face of the recept. Then I place the black test lead in the longer slot. this should show 120v +/- what ever your service is providing. If you leave the red test lead in the smaller hot slot and move the black test lead to the rounded ground terminal you get the same voltage reading. Neutral and ground should have the same potential and give you very similar Volt readings.

Id start by verifing proper terminations, Hot wires to Gold tabs, Neutral wires on Silver tabs. If your only finding 120v from hot to ground then your neutral (White wires) are open. Guessing they'll be no functioning neutral output at the load connection going out to your down line GFCI protected recpts. Replacing the GFCI Recpt should cure the problem. Unless you have no line side incoming neutral.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:37 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Ok... this makes absolutely no sense at all...I have been fighting this problem for a week..
I walked over to the campground bar..had a few... came back to the camper.. everything is working right..... how is this even possible?... I'm not complaining but I just don't understand it
Old 06-05-2024, 04:19 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

GFCI Outlets

I'd keep a new GFCI handy for when it happens again!!!