Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Power for undercarriage LEDs

My '17 Sunset Trail has blue LEDs from the factory for accent lighting: inside and on the front outside. I'd like to add undercarriage LEDs to add to the exterior 'mood' lighting. I've seen lots of posts about choosing LEDs, and securing/attaching LEDs... but how do I splice them into the 12v lighting? I currently have a switch in the front storage that turns on the front blue LED, could I tie into that for the additional lights? (it would be simple if they all come on with one switch). If so, how to best access it?

I've done tons of car/truck modifications, but new to campers.
Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

That would be a good one to tie in to if you can get to it. FYI, all of the blue leds on my 2015 are failing. I am going to change them out to amber as it is less annoying to other campers if you forget to turn them off at night.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You should have an amber light just behind the steps that is connected with the outside Amber light up higher . Go into the panel and find the wire going down to the step light and put that wire on a separate switch and attach the led strip to that light. Take light out of assembly and just use led's.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

After all the posts on these forums about the led strips burning out after very short times of use I don't think I'd be adding more, just more headaches, but I've not had good luck replacing my halogen bulbs with the overpriced leds.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Started a test May 15. I replaced the porch light with a super cheap China led bulb. It's been on 24/7 since then. Still working. Cost? $2.55 for two bulbs. Works for me.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
After all the posts on these forums about the led strips burning out after very short times of use I don't think I'd be adding more, just more headaches, but I've not had good luck replacing my halogen bulbs with the overpriced leds.
I have LEDs installed in my outdoor kitchen as well as undercarriage and no issues for 2 years.

Can't say the same for the awning LEDs.

I would argue that Crossroads uses an inferior LED, but heck, I paid 18 bucks for both sets on Amazon and they've been working flawlessly.

I will say that keeping the connections dry on the undercarriage has been an issue. the sealants keep cracking over time due to the flexing of the trailer during travel.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the help, once the LEDs come in, I will be spending some time under the trailer...
Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Started a test May 15. I replaced the porch light with a super cheap China led bulb. It's been on 24/7 since then. Still working. Cost? $2.55 for two bulbs. Works for me.
Do you have a link to this? The other weekend we bought a replacement standard bulb to replace the high porch light that had burned out. Campsite happened to have a blister pack of two so tried using them. With the new bulb in place (exact model # match) as soon as we turned on the porch light it blew the 15A fuse for the porch lights/main interior ceiling lights. It didn't matter whether the main ceiling lights were on or off either, I went through a few fuses testing this!! The lower (under steps) porch light works just fine, it's just the top porch light that needs replacing at this point. With the old blown bulb in place I could have the porch lights on (lower light) and no issues. No bulb in the top fixture and still no issues. But put a bulb in that top fixture and it blows the fuse as soon as you hit the switch!!
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Sounds like a short to me. There's no way that bulb would be the culprit for blowing a 15 amp fuse. Probably time pull it off the wall and check for the problem.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
Site Team

FezUSA. here's the link. Light bulb

I know it says interior, but since it is encased, I've had no problems.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote