Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'm starting to get real concerned that the S/T brand is not of the quality I thought it was. After taken yet another trip this weekend. 600 miles later, part of the exit window that opens fell apart so that we could notclose the window after a lunch stop, as well as the black water indicator still read full even after dumping (drove two hours, then dumped, then drove 7 more hours) . thought there might have been some toilet paper on the sensor or something but would have thought it would have come off after splish splashing for 7 hours. The outlets in the bedroom do not work, I tripped the GCI switch, checked the breaker and fuse all good to go. One of the baseboard are coming off as well has some of the wood "tape" used to seal a seam in the kitchen is starting to come un glued. Taking it in this moring to have them put new screws in the front seam of the trailer that popped off last trip.

We are very happy with the trailer, but I really hope this is just beginning bugs from sitting on the lot for a extended period of time without being used.

2008 ST29FK

My other vehicle is an aircraft carrier!!!
pscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
We have almost 6,000 miles since May of 2007 on our ST30BH. Finally tripped the main breaker this past week when the wife tried running the hairdryer, AC, and TV at the same time, reset it and everything worked fine the rest of the trip. Other than that, our problems have all been kid-created. Asfor the tank sensors, we owned an Aerolite for 7 years before the ST and the sensors on that never worked right either.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
It's typical to have first season bugs in a new camper. I have owned a Jayco, Sunnybrook and now a Cruiser. All three had minor but annoying issues in the first few months of use. After owning a few trailers I can tell you the tank sensor is common to the junk they install and not specific to Crossroads. I sugesst you back fill the tank a few times and drain.

Good luck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about your warranty issues. This does not seem to be the norm for Crossroads products, including the Sunset Trail. Though the exit window has to be annoying, I'm guessing it will be a minor adjustment or fix to keep it in place. Same with the baseboards. Unfortunately all new RVs seem to have minor issues. I think the real test is how they're handled. I think you'll find Crossroads excellent to work with on warranty coverage.

You sound like you're a seasoned camper. But the black tank sensor not reading correctly is probably more a matter of making sure everything is flushed correctly. I have noticed my 29RL is less tolerant of toilet tissue than my old Sunline. You may be doing all or some of these suggestions, but either way here goes:
1. I'm assuming you have the black tank flush my 2008 29RL came with. If so be sure to get a clear elbow so you can tell what's going on with the black tank. Not as gross as it sounds.
2. After dumping the black tank flush until ony clear water comes out.
3. Perhaps you use the Geo method, perhaps not. Because of the toilet paper issue I've been using the following recipe with some success:
a. Make sure there are a couple of gallons of water in the black tank when done dumping
b. add water softener so it's harder for gunk to stick to the sides of the tank
c. I use one packet of digester per person prior to each dump.
d. Though a minimalist at heart, I make sure everyone uses PLENTY of water to flush with
Prior to the current recipe I would get toilet paper clogs (NO, we're true tolet paper conservationsists). Not only that the sensor pretty much always seemed stuck in place. Now everything flows the way it should and no more clogs or plugs and the sensor works flawlessly.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys, that is kind of what I was thinking that it was the first season bugs that need to get worked out. Especially after sitting on the sales lot for a while. Seasoned camper yes, seasoned owner no. I camped with my grandparents growing up every summer that I could remember until I was 15. I'm a first time owner. But knowledge is key from years of teaching from grandpa. I just ordered a clear elbow for the hose, I definately like the idea of adding one packet per person and increasing the use of water. Once I get the trailer back from the shop I will certainly flush it out to make sure it's all clear.

thanks for the help. Pete

2008 ST29FK

Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to BooinGa

I had a couple of small issues with our camper first trip out. The thermostat wasn't calibrated correctly and the AC either ran all the time or none of the time. Very cold or stuffy choices. Also, we had two bad ground fault's, one in the bath, one in the kitchen area. And the cable hookup from the factory wasn't connected properly.

When I got back home, I took the camper back to the dealer and after a couple of days everything was fixed. Second season with the ST... several trips later no further issues, still in love with our Sunset Trail!

Edited by: BooinGa

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/b0012/GaBoo3.png
BooinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

thanks Boo, that gives me some hope.

Pete

2008 ST29FK