Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Purchasing a Surge Protector

Purchasing a surge protector for our 250rb soon. Prefer portable one. Would love to have thoughts and suggestions for name brands and model numbers.
GBZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

We have the Progressive 50 amp portable, my only complaint is the newer ones have a digital display showing each leg, mine doesn't. IMHO it doesn't matter what brand you choose, but all rvs should have one, it's cheap insurance.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Well, it sort of matters which one you buy. Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty while Technology Research only has a 1 year warranty. Prices a very close to each other.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:21 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

If you are buying yours through Camping World, I found when I bought mine last year it was a lot cheaper to buy it online through them compared to buying it at the store. I found that confusing, but I saved almost $100.....
Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

GBZY
Progressive as Mark has pointed out has a better warranty, and is also made in the USA...The Surge Guard that Camping World sells is made in China...If I remember correctly Progressive also offers several more functions than the Surge Guard...You can Google them and do a comparison...

I always try to buy American...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all your responses. Definitely buying one with a longer warranty and American made.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Surge Guard 30A Portable with LCD Display | Technology Research, LLC

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

What about the hardwire ones? Any opinion on those? We're looking in maybe getting one installed. Thanks for any feedback.
From Laval, Quebec, Canada
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
What about the hardwire ones? Any opinion on those? We're looking in maybe getting one installed. Thanks for any feedback.
Phenix
Personally I like the portable surge protectors...Many of the campgrounds now once you plug the portable surge protector into the electric pedestal and close the lid, if you carry a pad lock, the lid can be locked to the base of the pedestal there for locking in your surge protector...

In God We Trust
Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I have not purchased one yet, but I will get a portable surge protector.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBZY View Post
I have not purchased one yet, but I will get a portable surge protector.
GBZY
What do you have 30 or 50 AMP.??? No matter which amperage buy Progressive...

In God We Trust
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I've been looking and researching this for the last two weeks. I decided on the Progressive Industries SSP-50XL. I paid $127.40 on Amazon with prime shipping. I think it was about $165 at the camping store, not sure.

I went back and forth on the hard install which has additional protection for low voltage and other types of protection for about twice the money. There is a chart of what each one protects on the Progressive Industries site.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System will be the one I purchase. Unfortunately, we have not had the opportunity to use the new 250rb since the purchase in January. However, we will get plenty of use soon.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Thought I'd jump in here and ask,

I found Camco makes a circuit analyzer for $86 on Amazon. I bought it because it states it has a 4200 Joule surge protection. Compared to the more expensive units, it lacks the feature that periodically disconnect the power to the RV for spikes or brownouts, rather it just has a surge protector. They do make one that does disconnect for anomalies in power, but it costs a bit more at $228.

Question is, anyone out there really see the units (obviously the more full feature untis) clicking power on and off when theyr'e camping? I have a circuit monitor and only have had a couple issues with hit alarming at some campgrounds 30 amp service browning out and I also usually hear it in the AC and shut it down.

I'm not too cheap to send it back and get a more full featured protector, but I like the compact analyzer as well as not having something $300 hanging on the post. Had someone tell me at a campground it is not commmon for people to steal them.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I don't have a surge protector yet, but I do have a question. If the surge protector shuts off because of a spike or a brown out, does it manually have to be reset? Is it the same for spike or brownout? I ask because if we're away and the air conditioner shuts off with the dogs inside, I'm wondering if it will turn back on when the power returns.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Yes most of them will turn on once the problem goes away
Old 04-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Thought I'd jump in here and ask,

I found Camco makes a circuit analyzer for $86 on Amazon. I bought it because it states it has a 4200 Joule surge protection. Compared to the more expensive units, it lacks the feature that periodically disconnect the power to the RV for spikes or brownouts, rather it just has a surge protector. They do make one that does disconnect for anomalies in power, but it costs a bit more at $228.

Question is, anyone out there really see the units (obviously the more full feature untis) clicking power on and off when theyr'e camping? I have a circuit monitor and only have had a couple issues with hit alarming at some campgrounds 30 amp service browning out and I also usually hear it in the AC and shut it down.

I'm not too cheap to send it back and get a more full featured protector, but I like the compact analyzer as well as not having something $300 hanging on the post. Had someone tell me at a campground it is not commmon for people to steal them.
You want one that will shut down when the voltage gets to high or to low. To high will cook your electronics to low will burn out motors eg ac. They have hardwired ones that are wired inside the trailer and portable ones that you plug into the pedestal and attach your cord to. I have a portable and have no problems with it disapearing in the last 9 years. They have locking devices you ca buy and also the newer pedestals have lids that cover it with a spot to lock it if you are worried about losing it
Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

After a lot of research I bought a Progressive Industries HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired EMS over the winter. The other day I was looking at where to put it. I pulled open my panel box which is under my stove/oven. Wow, what a mess of wires! I can see the 50 amp cord that I need to cut to install the EMS but there is no room for me to get my hands and tools in that little opening. What a pain this is going to be installing it. I might end up buying a plug in.

Has anyone removed their stove/oven? If that's doable I would have lots of room to work.

Dave

Dave
2011 Cruiser CF31REP 5th Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually, Cummins 5.9
55wed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Well today I pulled my stove/oven to install the EMS. Pulling the stove wasn't that bad! 6 screws and the gas line and it pulls right out. After I pulled the stove I had lots of room to work. I have a 50 amp cord and boy are these hard to work with. I didn't have anything big enough to cut the whole wire so I cut through the covering and cut each wire separately. Not too bad of a job but its hard to get the wires into the connectors. Very stiff. Here are a few pictures.

Dave
2011 Cruiser CF31REP 5th Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually, Cummins 5.9
55wed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Well this chart from Progressive breaks down the best for what you need. I recently purchased a PT50C Progressine because of the lifetime warranty. However shop around and you can get one on eBay or Amazon. I purchased mine on eBay for $333.33.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote