Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
New Camper

Rear axle bent

Rear axle bent on a 31' sunset trail. Difficulty on replacing DIY? Cheapest place for replacement?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bigpoppa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Find an alignment facilty in your area, they bend the axles to align them so possibly could bend it back & align at he same time, should be MUCH cheaper & less work than replacing.
If you do want/need to replace it's not too difficult of a project. Be sure to use jack stands to support the rv safely while working under it.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If your axle looks like mine did when it was bent your only choice is replacement.

I would suggest replacement regardless the cost is not that bad.

The axle tubes are made of very thin steel and most likely will not be very successful when trying to straighten.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

IWow! Did you hit something or did some gorilla tighten that u-bolt? That definitely had to be replaced.
Bigpoppa, If yours looks like that, REPLACE it.
I might add while you have apart anyway, check all the spring & equalizer bushings.
You didn't state what year model of your rv, but if it's several years old you can order the axle with the entire brake/hub assembly already mounted, will save some work & get new brakes in the process.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
New Camper

Hit an unavoidable pot hole that would have swallowed a small car. Stopped next exit and this is what we saw.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

Yep! It's replacement time!! Did it also break the wheel? Probably chewed up a tire the rest of the trip?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yep! It's replacement time!! Did it also break the wheel? Probably chewed up a tire the rest of the trip?
lucky, wheel appears ok. And tire has just a little different wear as we were only 50 miles from home when it happened.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
IWow! Did you hit something or did some gorilla tighten that u-bolt? That definitely had to be replaced.
I might add while you have apart anyway, check all the spring & equalizer bushings.
You didn't state what year model of your rv, but if it's several years old you can order the axle with the entire brake/hub assembly already mounted, will save some work & get new brakes in the process.
It happened on I 40 near Kingman Arizona. I was on my way to Metor crater.

When at the campground setting up I noticed the rear tire on right side had worn a lot. See my picture to see what I found.

There were chuck holes in the freeway that was a large as a VW bug and about 4 inches deep with sharp edges. It appeared the last layer of asphalt was breaking loose.

Truck traffic was heavy so I was not able to miss the large chuck holes.

Trailer was still in warranty and Lippert replaced my axle at the campground.

Event happened on Good Friday and I was back on the road the following Tuesday. Great Service from Lippert.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoppa79 View Post
Hit an unavoidable pot hole that would have swallowed a small car. Stopped next exit and this is what we saw.

Interesting it was the rear axle. Same for me when I bent an axle. Same with tires that pick up screws and bolts.

Have had two tires do that and both times the rear axle.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Its a 2007 CR sunset trail 31' We got the camper in July, used it once hit the hole on way home, been sitting since. Ugh

Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Contact Ron Russell at Performance Trailer Braking 405-626-7009 or performancetrailerbraking.com, he has good deals on about all trailer suspension components (tires, axles, brakes & brake upgrades) with technicians that come to you & awesome customer service.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoppa79 View Post
Its a 2007 CR sunset trail 31' We got the camper in July, used it once hit the hole on way home, been sitting since. Ugh

If you have insurance on the trailer your comprehensive may pay. Check with your insurance agent.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
Interesting it was the rear axle. Same for me when I bent an axle. Same with tires that pick up screws and bolts.

Have had two tires do that and both times the rear axle.
On all tandem vehicles the rear always goes flat. The front tire picks up the object and the rear runs over it and gets the flat. The front axle will hit a pot hole and the rear holds it up so it doesn't hit as hard. But when the rear hits it has all the weight of the back end of the trailer it's supporting
Old 10-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Just got my trailer back from having a new rear axle put on my sunset trail. The final bill was about 500 but that includes new hub assembly and springs. It took a month to get my trailer back b/c lippert was a minimum 15 business days before my axle was done and plus shipping added on. My trailer pulls so much better now though.
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote