Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
Attached is a short video. My 2018, Sunset Trail roof is coming unglued along the edges on both sides of the trailer. This is a TPO material and over the past few months it's coming unglued. No leaks so far, but if I were to brush up against a tree branch I imagine it would slice right through this material. I believe this TPO is clued to 1/8" (or 1/16") plywood and that plywood is glued and screwed to 2" styrofoam.

Anyone know offhand if the roof is warrantied against something like this? Otherwise, I'm going to have to do this myself of worse, trust someone else to do it for me (icy chill up my spine).

So I used a screen capture tool and took these two images about a 1/4 second apart. I'm pressing down on the edge and the ripple appears where I was able to press down about 1/2". This has formed along both edges of the roof. So, at this time the only thing holding the TPO on is the rain gutter.

thanks,

Dustin
Hello Dustin
I had a similar problem on my 2018
253RB . I also had to do some leak damage repair. To solve this I ordered a roll of 2inch and 6 inch Eternabond tape. I installed the eternabond tape on the entire perimeter of the roof. I made sure I cleaned the roof first and I used a vinyl floor roller to make sure it was pressed down and secure. I overlapped the tape onto the trim a little to insure coverage. At first I was a little leary what it would look like after I was done but to be honest it looks factory and hardly noticeable. There are a number of Youtube videos on Eternabond tape installation.

My 2 cents

Tim
Old 10-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronomyGuy View Post
Hello Dustin
I had a similar problem on my 2018
253RB . I also had to do some leak damage repair. To solve this I ordered a roll of 2inch and 6 inch Eternabond tape. I installed the eternabond tape on the entire perimeter of the roof. I made sure I cleaned the roof first and I used a vinyl floor roller to make sure it was pressed down and secure. I overlapped the tape onto the trim a little to insure coverage. At first I was a little leary what it would look like after I was done but to be honest it looks factory and hardly noticeable. There are a number of Youtube videos on Eternabond tape installation.

My 2 cents

Tim
Did you first remove the rain gutter, and I presume you installed this on top of the roofing coating (TPC or EPDM). Or did you pull the roofing up and put the tape under the roofing material?

If you can, attach a photo, I'm sure we're not the only two who have or will experience this.

Just curious,
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
Did you first remove the rain gutter, and I presume you installed this on top of the roofing coating (TPC or EPDM). Or did you pull the roofing up and put the tape under the roofing material?

If you can, attach a photo, I'm sure we're not the only two who have or will experience this.

Just curious,
Dustin
I did not take the gutter off. I installed it over the roof covering and half way down the edge moulding. My Roof resembled your pictures. I also had a little separation on the rear corners.I had a water leak where they drilled to hole for the wires at the top of the awning. I had a water leak at the rear of the slide because the seal was letting water in. It had a hole in it with a piece of tape over the hole. It was tape to repair a damaged slide out seal. I did not put the tape on it and I bought it new. I don't have pictures of the eternabond tape but I'm going to the storage yard this weekend. I'll take a few pictures for you . I did have a previous post with pictures of the water damage repair.

Tim
Old 10-06-2022, 06:12 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I did not take the gutter off. I installed it over the roof covering and half way down the edge moulding. My Roof resembled your pictures. I also had a little separation on the rear corners.I had a water leak where they drilled to hole for the wires at the top of the awning. I had a water leak at the rear of the slide because the seal was letting water in. It had a hole in it with a piece of tape over the hole. It was tape to repair a damaged slide out seal. I did not put the tape on it and I bought it new. I don't have pictures of the eternabond tape but I'm going to the storage yard this weekend. I'll take a few pictures for you . I did have a previous post with pictures of the water damage repair.

Tim
Here are some links to YouTube videos.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

It's done (for now)

I finished the “drivers side” roof project. After inspecting the passenger side I’ve decided it doesn’t need repaired. I’ll just remove the old rain gutter caulk and put on new dicor above the rain gutter. My fix for the driver’s side took about 9 hours. This was not a particularly difficult project as I expected, but it was intimidating at the beginning. I’m guessing about 200 trips up and down the ladder.

The root cause of the problem was (and still is), the plywood decking material isn’t long enough to reach completely across the roof, from vertical wall to wall. On the passenger side of the roof, the decking material touches the top of the wall. On the driver’s side, it stops about 2” short of the wall and creates a 1” gap between the wall and the roof decking (see Photo 1).

Observations when uncovering the problem before repair.
The water-based contact adhesive that bonds the TPO to the plywood deck was still tacky. Not dried out as I expected. I did apply new Alpha contact cement to both the underside of the TPO and plywood and the gorilla tape I added. It needs to dry for about 30 minutes before you press the two surfaces together. This stuff is very sticky after it begins to dry. Very difficult to wash off. I was wearing neoprene gloves and got it on my finger. My fingers would stick together and tear the gloves trying to pry my finger apart. Very good stuff.

The plywood decking apparently come is 4’ x 8’ sheets and for my trailer somebody cut them a little to short. I have roof trusses about every 16” and there are a few screws in the decking (plywood) every now and then to hold the decking to the metal trusses. Where the plywood panels meet on a truss there’s several screws in each panel. Over the top of the screws is a webbing tape that I suppose is supposed to protect the screws from rubbing the TPO. Not sure how much good it does since the flat head screws are put in at various angles and the edges actually contact the TPO. I need to be way more careful walking on the roof.

Photo 3: I found a string of 15 holes where a tree branch rubbed the roof and pulled the flashing back on the LR corner of the roof. When I lifted the material, I could actually see daylight through these holes. I noticed this scrape a few months ago and examined it but I really didn’t think it had punctured all the way through the TPO. Next time I see something like this I’ll have to probe it with an ice pick to see if it penetrates. Fortunately I found this before any long term damage had occurred.

Things I learned:
The rain gutter is held on by a screw every 6” and backed by butyl tape. Of the 80 or so screws I removed two were broken off at factory installation because they were drilled into steel. I suggest you have a dozen or so self tapping screws in case you run into the same problem. I needed two self tapping screws. I relied on the new butyl tape to seal the old screw holes and I just drilled a new hole about ½” from the old hole.

For cleaning off the old butyl, the TPO and old dicor I used Xylol. It worked way better than acetone.

Reinstalling the gutter: you may need an ice pick to help locate the old screw holes. Once you get the rain gutter started the holes line of pretty good, but occasionally I had to fish around with the ice pick to determine the angle of the hole.

It didn’t occur to me to use blue masking tape to tape off the top of the rain gutter when I re-caulked the top of it with dicor. If I did this again, I’d tape the rain gutter, apply the dicor then remove the tape.

The dicor is very messy. I discovered you can run a bead of the “dicor for vertical surfaces” (not the self leveling) then spray some alcohol on your finger and easily spread the dicor sealant and shape it and it doesn’t stick to your fingers. I had to keep spraying my fingers but this was very helpful.

Using a heat gun on the rain gutter made removal pretty easy. Later I set up sawhorses and used the heat gun to remove the butyl from the back of the rain gutter. Heat the gutter material, not the butyl. I cleaned the gutter with Xylol, spray painted it black since it was looking pretty faded, then applied new butyl tape. Leave the white backing paper on the butyl tape until you’re ready to actually insert a screw in that hole. It’s not possible to line up all those screw holes at the same time so leaving the white backing on lets you make adjustments as you work. Then, gently slide the backing down and insert a screw.

The repair:
I put on three layer of gorilla tape to pull down the decking that was lifted and to fill the gap and connect the side to the roofing deck. This is not a great fix, but it’s better than it was. Today I stopped by a roofing supply store to ask about what might adhere to TPO and offer a little more protection against scrapes. TPO material is commonly used on roofs of commercial building, so they have an array of products. Also, TPO has the lowest surface energy of all roofing products (which means almost nothing will stick to it). It’s surface energy rating is half that of glass. I put a link to an interesting article about adhesives/tapes at the end of this writeup if you’re interested.

The guy at the supply house suggested I put metal flashing over the top of the TPO to cover that 2” gap. That’s a great idea. I’ll have to consider if I’m willing to pull the rain gutter off, install the metal flashing, reinstall the rain gutter and then cover the flashing with Eterna bond. But that’s a very good idea and I wish I had thought of that before I started. I think I’d put the flashing over the top of the TPO rather tan under the TPO. I’ll wait and do this another time. Any thoughts?

Article about adhesives for “low energy roofs like TPO and EPDM:
https://www.adhesivesmag.com/article...%20like%20TPOs.

That’s it, on to the next project: why are my traction light, ABS and Brake like flashing on and off?

Happy Camping,
Dustin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After Photos.jpg (236.6 KB, 10 views)

Dustin and Doris

Old 10-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #26
Site Team

Great write up. Seems you resolved your issue quite well.
One question. When you took off the rain gutter, did you see the top of the exterior wall panel or was is further down?

Good luck with your next project. I seems there is always a 'next project' on a Rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #27
Site Team

Good job on the repairs and thanks for the write up.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #28
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Great write up. Seems you resolved your issue quite well.
One question. When you took off the rain gutter, did you see the top of the exterior wall panel or was is further down?

Good luck with your next project. I seems there is always a 'next project' on a Rv.
Good question. Attached here is a photo of the layers. The top of the sidewall is just about even with the top of the rain gutter. You'll see it in the photo.

Dustin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Root Cause Snip.jpg (266.7 KB, 5 views)

Dustin and Doris

Old 10-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Thanks for documenting this journey, very interesting. I am glad to see that you were able to do a quality repair without a complete roof replacement. It's just ashamed that a unit this new would have such serious issues.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #30
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
Thanks for documenting this journey, very interesting. I am glad to see that you were able to do a quality repair without a complete roof replacement. It's just ashamed that a unit this new would have such serious issues.
Thanks for the feedback. I certainly agree with that. The workmanship between the passenger side of the trailer and the driver’s side is completely different. It’s quite apparent the person on the assembly line on the passenger side was either new to his job, hungover, didn’t care or just going through the actions without understanding what he was supposed to be doing. Forty years ago, I supervised a computer assembly line for a large company. It’s amazing the performance difference between individuals. And, the difference between the same individual day to day. We had to manage using the process MBWA (management by waling around). Stay on the move, watch what’s going on and reassign people who are having a bad day to a less critical task.

I may redo this project next spring. I like the idea of putting metal flashing to close this gap rather than depending on the gorilla tape for protection. I like to document these types of projects and email them to myself. That way they are easy to find years later (email search feature) in case I need to look back and I don’t have to rely on trying to remember what happened.

Happy Camping,
Dustin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cault with Masking Tape.jpg (248.9 KB, 6 views)

Dustin and Doris

Old 10-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

Nice job. I did not remove the gutter rail but I suspected what you found was the case with my roof. I imagine what you discovered in the build quality is common to all lightweight Sunset Trail models. My roof is made exactly like yours. I think this is not a flaw but their intention for whatever reason. Maybe to save money. I might explore the flashing idea if the Etrenabond ever fails but for now it is holding strong. I think I have reached my tolerance level for camper repair for the year. Thanks for sharing.

Tim
Old 10-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #32
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Nice job. I did not remove the gutter rail but I suspected what you found was the case with my roof. I imagine what you discovered in the build quality is common to all lightweight Sunset Trail models. My roof is made exactly like yours. I think this is not a flaw but their intention for whatever reason. Maybe to save money. I might explore the flashing idea if the Etrenabond ever fails but for now it is holding strong. I think I have reached my tolerance level for camper repair for the year. Thanks for sharing.

Tim
I understand and agree I'm done with maintenance for 2022. The Eternabond (and Alphabond Tape) are pretty thick and tough. This link takes you to the Alpha TPO products care and maintenance. If you did around in here you discover the Eternabond and Alphabond are interchangeable.

https://alphallc.us/product-care/

Unless you get up against a pretty tough tree branch you're Eternabond cover will probably protect you forever. I probably should have done what you did but I really wanted to understand what was going on.

Take care:
Dustin

Dustin and Doris