Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
New Camper

Just got our 31bh, and trying to figure out best place to set up the satellite receiver as the plugs and tv hook up is above the tv. But no room there for receiver. Anyone tried to feed the cables down to the spaces below the fireplace

Any ideas would be great
MarshallBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I did it on my 25RB I came down on the bedroom side hiding the wires using wiremold cord protectors. That way I only had to drill 1 hole to go into the little shelves. Make sure to tightly tuck andsecure your wires everywhere so that the tv and fireplace can still swivel.

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Badwin so did you come down in the bedroom or on the bedroom side of the tv/fireplace box but inside the box it's self. How did it look when it was done. Just trying to hidethe wires as much as possible. Sure wish that they had thought it through when it was built and put the plugs and tv hook up below
Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm not sure about your setup, but on mine, I mounted the receiver sideways to the cabinet wall at the same height as the TV. Used 1" aluminum flat stock and some black foam to cushion the receiver. No dangling cords, big holes to drill or restricted ventilation for the receiver. My DVR is only about 2" tall and 12" deep.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I came around the tv, keeping tight to the frame around the tv so that it could still swivel. Once i reacehed the bottom of the frame i came out and down the wall to the back of the shelf where I mounted the reciever. That where I drilled through. All the wires that are in the bedroom area are hidden using wiremold. Its not perfect but the only ones who will see the wiremold is the wife and myself. You can't see any wires from the living area of the trailer.
Good luck
Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I hope that the guys at the RV factory read theseposts cause boy would it be easy to wire cable, over the air antenna and satellite wiring when they build these units.
Badwin
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
New Camper

That's true they should put more thought into the design, thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I come up with this weekend
Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Just finished doing this with my 31 bh. It took me about a week working on it off and on. Not sure I can explain this on here without pics, but here goes. Drilled a hole in the top right panel of the fireplace slot into the curved hollow part of the entertainment center as well as drilling straight down in the same corner of the TV slot. I fished the HDMI cable up and the coax down through the holes and the hollow right side of the cabinet. In the bottom part of the cabinet, you should be able to see the other cable coming down from the top. I drilled that hole a little larger to be able to find the cable coming down and going up. Once I got all of that up and down, drilled another hole in the bottom back of the cabinet to take the cable to the SAT box. I also ordered an IR to UHF piece to allow my box to sit between bed and cabinet to the remote will work from anywhere in the camper instead of it having to point right at the box. Not sure if this helps, I could take pictures for you, but I have not had much luck posting them on here, so would have to try to email them directly to you. Let me know.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
New Camper

I think I understand what you did. But if you do have the pics and dont mine emailing them to me it would be greatly appreciated. I have my trailer left at the park so I will be working on it either this weekend or most likely next weekend.
My email is marshallpburt@gmail.com
Thanks again for your help
Marshall
Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

We have sat TV but it was easy install. Am I the only one who chuckles at the effort we all put into having a TV we hardly watch while CAMPING...lol
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Pictures are in your email.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis

We have sat TV but it was easy install. Am I the only one who chuckles at the effort we all put into having a TV we hardly watch while CAMPING...lol
No, yer not alone on that one. We hardly ever hook ours up.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
New Camper

Thanks for the pics ill let you know how i make out.

Thanks for all your help Steve

and I know it maybe silly to hook up a sat in a camper but we find it's well worth it for the kids on rainy days
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
New Camper

Thanks everyone for your help. What I did was put my 3100 model tv flat behind the tv. That model reciever is only about a inch thick so I was able to mount it behind the tv. This way I did not have to drill any holes and everything is hidden. I hooked my sat on to the outside and took the wall plate off and feed the outside line directly into the receiver through the hole that the audio video cable went through. Then I back feed from the tv out coaxial on the receiver back up into the roof behind the wall plate so I can have tv in all the other locations kids room and outside kitchen.
The only downside is remote only works directly in front of the tv. Thinking of getting a UHF remote to resolve this problem but still a small price to pay for having everything hidden

Again that's everyone for your reply's

Marshall

2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Marshall...precisely why we have it. They turn on Disney so we can sleep in
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
New Camper

In case anyone else is looking for idea, in our 32 fr (with the revolving TV) I took the mirror off the panel opposite (behind) the TV. I use two bungee straps around the metal TV bracket to secure the DirecTV DVR receiver to the back of the panel.

Thus, when TV is in main room, receiver is in bedroom, and vice versa.

I also did a bypass / jumper mod on the switch so I can still get over the air and radio antenna to work with satellite.

Direct TV sells an RF remote for about $20 bucks.

We lose the mirror and some may not like the asthetics, but very functional.
kennc is offline   Reply With Quote