Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Schwindtek Slide Out of Square

I was getting my trailer ready for a trip today and when I put the slide out there was a sever grinding sound as it was reaching about 3/4 of the way out. I stopped and retracted it, which worked, but when I tried it again the same thing happened. When I reclosed it the top corner on one side is out by about three inches. The floor on the inside is raised about the same amount on the same side.

I have checked the manuals and searched the Forum couldn't find this type of a problem listed. (It may be there but I couldn't find it)

The trailer is level, lots of power, and no objects obstructing the slide as far as I could see.

The sound, to me, seemed like the gear slipping on the track.

Anyone have a similar problem and is there a fix for this without going to a dealer.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Team

In the documents section under Manuals there are several on the Schwintek slide system. I do not have that system so not going to be much help but could be some answers in the manuals. Good luck and if you find a fix please let us know.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:34 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Dagst1. I downloaded a number of the manuals relating to the Schwintek slides but I couldn't find anything on only one corner sticking out when all the rest are in.

When extending the slide it started to make some really weird noises like gears getting mangled and things snapping. The slide was about 3/4 of the way out when I stopped and retracted it. I tried again and the same thing happened at the same point. I went outside and could see that the top corner on one side was out about three inches.

I tried the realignment instruction on extending it out a few inches and retracting. If you do it four or five times it is suppose to work but in this case it didn't.

Another option is to use the manual over ride where you press a button on the controller six times and hold on the seventh until the lights blink. That way you are suppose to be able to extend or retract the slide. I don't believe that this action was ment to be used for resyncing the controller to get the slide to move the same on both sides.

That being said, if I was to use this method I am not sure of the technical workings of the over ride function. Does this mean that the safety features of the controller are bypassed and that the motors will run until you take your finger off the switch. This may work but may chew up the gear on the shaft.

I was hoping someone may have had this problem where the gears may have slipped a few cogs on the track and left the slide out of plumb. It may mean taking out the motor and gear track and realigning the slide so that it is plumb and then reinstall.

Has anyone done this procedure themselves or is this something for the pros. I seen it done on YouTube by LCI but they used a mock-up version of a trailer slide and didn't really address my problem but gave me the idea of a possible fix.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #4
Site Team

On the "Tube" there is a guy-- My RV Works-- he is a mobile RV mechanic with several years experience a little long winded but very through. He has several videos on that slide system and sometimes will answer questions. Go to playlists then RV slide outs. There maybe something there that will help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Same problem on 2015 Cruiser

I had the same problem on our 2015 Cruiser soon after we purchased it. The bedroom slide became increasingly unsmooth in its travel in and out. Eventually it wouldn't extend or retract all the way. The cause was the floor material was not cut accurately as one end of the floor was over an inch wider then the other end which caused it to bind as it traveled in and out. The floor was replaced under warranty and the slide out repaired and has operated good since.

Fortunately the repair was completed at our residence and during reinstallation of the slide out it was very obvious the alignment of the tracks and the gearing were very crucial. Additionally, holding the button in for a few seconds after moving the slide out in or out is also important as it synchronizes the two motors each time...

I did not receive much help from Crossroads initially when requesting warranty support however eventually Keystone became involved and processed it very well...
rdfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:38 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Thanks rdfritz for the info on your slide issue.

Yours was repaired under warranty so I take it that it was purchased new in 2015 from a dealer. I'm the third owner of the one I have and warranty is long gone.

You indicate the problem was the result of the floor being out by an inch. Was this in the width from front to back or was it the sides of the slides at the floor were out?

I haven't had a chance to work on mine as I had to move it to a new storage compound and we are still trying to see where it will be parked in the NEW storage compound. So far I'm the only one in there it is that new. Once settled in I'll try to find the source of the problem. It does make a lot of noise at a certain point and I'll have to find what it is binding on.

I always hold the button down after the motors stop. Think the previous owner told me that and it just became a habit.

I would like to take a look under the floor to see if something is caught under there such as a broken roller or god only knows what.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:09 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Slide problem

Yes, it was purchased new although the warranty resolution took almost a year before it was repaired.

The front outside corner of the floor material was more than an inch too long both lengthwise and crosswise so that it would bind when you brought the slide in. It was easy to see the slightly deformed front outside bottom corner of the slide out. And of course when measuring the outside and inside length, they were about an inch different.

Additional cause was that due to the gap caused by this, moisture was able to seep in and the floor material swelled in thickness also causing stress while moving in and out. I hope I've successfully attached a photo showing the corner that caused most of the problem. You can see the outside skin material protruding outward and the swelled floor material.

Good luck with your challenge....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ron's Phone Dec 2019 350.jpg (167.1 KB, 7 views)
rdfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:09 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the further explanation and the picture. I'll check that out on mine. Hopefully, that is not my problem as that looks like a very expensive fix.

My slide has always worked since I purchased it used in 2018. There was the usual snap and click to it but always went in and out without problem. Some of the noise could have been from not having it as level as it should be and that was the first thing I always check before using it.

I'll update this post with what ever I find is the problem.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:49 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I used to have an RV with that system, and as usual, I do some research 'just in case'.
There are only two motors, one in front, and one in back, for the four rails, and a shaft drives both gears for the upper and lower toothed rails. Since you are saying one corner is not driving, it means one gear is not driving.
There have been cases where the locating pin for one of the gears breaks, and some cases where the gear teeth break.
It really sounds like one of these things has happened.
You should be able to pull back the seal and see the gears.
some people have reported metal chunks on the floor.
I saw on Youtube one time, there is a small company that installs an upgrade kit with beefier gears and rails.
Good luck with your fix.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Wingerdinger for the input. I've copied all the manuals and watched YouTube and My RV Works just to get prepared for this before I have to call a mobile Tech.

The slide is a Schwintek In Wall Slide-Out with one motor at the top on each side of the slide. The motors drive a torque shaft that turn the gears that run along the gear rack to open and close the slide. I noticed that the gear rack has some extra indentations inside the "S" grooves. I'm not sure if this is normal wear and tear or is a sign the gears are chewing it up.

I suspect that it may be a gear that has a broken tooth and slipped on the track which put the one side out of alignment. I also have to check the rollers underneath the floor just to make sure one of those didn't come loose as well.

The only problem I have at present is the rain. Don't want to have the slide stuck half way out and really jammed up and soak the inside. I have it sealed up against the elements and hopefully I'll get to it within the week. If parts are needed it will be another week or so to get them. I'm up to Plan F for where we will be going this year with the trailer.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Well, after reading all the Lippert Manuals and watching their videos, as well as, MyRvWorks.com videos, I managed to remove my Fixed (Left) Side gear rack and H Column.

It appears that the Gear Rack was mangled in places by the Gear and must have slipped a few notches in the Rack to throw it out of plumb. The bottom "V" Roller was broken but still in place. The Lower Gear Block and Shoe showed signs of rubbing and also need replacing.

Actually, removal was fairly straight forward and they came off with just a little nudging here and there. Clean up of the old caulk was a little trickier The first couple of hours was slow using GooBGone and rubbing alcohol. I only managed to get a couple of feet of caulk off then I switched to Mineral Spirits, which took the old caulk and duck tape residue (used that with plastic to cover the hole) off in no time. My vote is for Mineral Spirit here.

I checked with a number of RV Dealers and some Mobile RV repair outlets without much luck. One dealer would at least help in finding some good used or spare new parts from their outlets in Manitoba if they could. They have found the "V" Rollers, Lower Gear Block and Shoes. They have ordered the Gear Rack and still waiting on delivery.

I also ordered new gears from Lippert as well as Etrailer (ouch). Very expensive with shipping and exchange rate on the dollar. I have plans to replace the Float (Right) Side at some point. Hopefully get to travel to the US at some point and pick them up along the way.

I'll keep you posted on the install when I get the parts. Hopefully everything goes back in straight and plumb. There is some fine tolerances on how the slide fits in that hole and everything has to line up just so for it to work correctly.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Yakherder, I rebuilt the float side on mine, got the part numbers from digging through Lippert info on their website. Once I got part numbers I ordered all parts off of Amazon considerably cheaper. I did find that when the Filon was installed on my trailer it protruded into the slideout opening about 1/8 inch to far eating up some of the fit tolerance which I believe caused some my slide problems. I trimmed it before installing the H column, I have not had any problems since.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Oliver for the advice on the Filon. Didn't know what that was but checked Google. Didn't know the outside are actually fiberglass panels.

I have to check my opening measurements all the way around and make sure the slide goes in square and like you may have to do some trimming. That's going to be the tricky part.

After all the screeching and grinding when I knew the slide was shot I found that the top Fixed (Left) side was sticking out about 2" and the slide floor inside on that side was up about the same amount. I jacked that corner of the trailer when I removed the racks and enough that I could look at the rollers under the unit. The slide is off the rollers about 1/4" with the slide jacked up but the floor on the inside is still a bit above the floor, so things are not square.

Still waiting for parts and when ready to install I will have to figure out a way to get the slide square before I install the gear racks.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:40 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Guess I should post what I did to fix my problem. The lower V roller was broken, which I believe caused the slide compartment to drop and put the unit out of plumb. This caused the gears to slip on the gear rack and through the slide unit out of plumb on one side.

I replaced the both gear racks, both gear blocks and both V rollers. I squared the slide to he hole with measurements equal on both sides. When I re-installed the gear racks I found that they did not line up with the existing screw holes by about 1/4" vertically. Had to drill new holes in the rack and attach to the side of the slide. I did not want to use the factory holes as they were too close to the old ones and would not be solid.

I synced the motors and it appears to work as they should. Unfortunately, I did not get out on any trips afterwards so I'll have to wait for this year's trips to see how well it really works.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:36 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for posting the fix for your slide Always feels good when a plan comes together
Old 01-06-2023, 10:42 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

That it does!
Thanks Oliver