Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

secure stance axles

I just bought a 2013 sunset trail 25rb and recently notice abnormal tire wear on one of the tires which tells me it has a bent axle. My question is w/ the axles being spread further apart is this something that happens alot w/ the secure stance axles when making a sharp turn?
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

To wear a tire, just because you turned, would take a lot of turning. As you said, likely a bent axle. Do you have a frame shop near you, maybe it can be fixed.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kginder View Post
I just bought a 2013 sunset trail 25rb and recently notice abnormal tire wear on one of the tires which tells me it has a bent axle. My question is w/ the axles being spread further apart is this something that happens alot w/ the secure stance axles when making a sharp turn?
It might be the cheap tires if they are the original tires. I replaced my tires earlier this year after having a blow out last year and some strange wearing issues. And my trailer is newer than yours. And word on the street is these trailer tires don't last as long as normal car/truck tires (several threads on that topic somewhere in this forum). I believe there is a way to check to see if you have a bent axle, you might want to search that too.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had a similar issue on my Crossroads trailer. Turned out to be the hanger needed adjustment, and the axle was bent. The trailer went to a trailer alignment shop that has a laser alignment tool. Heavy duty truck shops can often do this also. Most RV dealers don't have the equipment. The cost was only a coupe hundred bucks, $350 at the most. Crossroads picked up the dime on mine since it was under warranty I think, dealer never really told me. They knew I needed it back and had it corrected in a couple days after sitting for quite a while.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Kginder
If you can see tread wear on the tire I would have the axles checked before I took it out again...Tire wear indicates that there is something wrong with your axles, or maybe the wheel, not the tires...Cheaper to have the axles checked than to have to pay for the damage repair that a blow out will cause...IMHO
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

i've taken it to a RV dealer and they said one of my axles is bent going to cost me about $500 for the axle and hub assembly altogether. I hope I don't have anymore axle problems from here on out!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kginder View Post
i've taken it to a RV dealer and they said one of my axles is bent going to cost me about $500 for the axle and hub assembly altogether. I hope I don't have anymore axle problems from here on out!
My dealer told me that my axle needed replacing also at first. I think it was because that's all they can do without the equipment and expertise. If there is an alignment issue, such as my hanger that needed moving, they will not catch it without a laser alignment check. I would invest the small amount of money at a shop that does the alignment check and repairs before ordering a new axle. Good luck!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have the identical trailer and they replaced the bent 3500# axles with 4400# axles. When it was under warranty. You probably have a bent axle. Previous owner could have hit a curb hard .. Are the wheels balanced? They had to send me a new tire and rim as the original would not balance with out about 1ft of weights and still not perfect....China made rims.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Before you pay your dealer to fix the problem, Take your camper to a utility trailer business and have them look at it and also give you a price...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Harley, do you have to watch how sharp of turns you make w/ the trailer? I just dont want to bend another axle. It looks like the secure stance axles would be prone to this problem. My last trailer 2007 forest river salem LE I didnt have to worry about really!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Just experienced same issue. Took our 2012 Cruiser too a trail err alignment shop in St.Cloud mn Bee Line service. 250.00 dollars to have axles straighten. Now it is better than New. One tip I will give is make sure when you or someone Jack's your trailer to make sure Jack is directly under the spring mount on the axle, or you will bend them.
Troddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote