Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
New Camper

We have a 2011 ST26BH, we have used it 1 season already and love it, but just got back from our first trip out this season and the slide had a problem coming in...When pushed on it along with the button to get the other side to come in it worked. going out is totally fine...We have looked through all the papers that came with the trailer and found a trouble shooting flow chart for the slides. Our conclusion is that we need bigger motor amperage. Has anyone else had any problems with this? because today is a holiday we haven't gotten to talk to the dealership yet, just wondering if ours is a lemon, or if it is an issue that others have had too. My worry is that the dealer will just replace the motor that is broken and not up the amps like the flow chart suggests, then next year when our warranty is up it will break again.

baron5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I had a problem with mine doing that, lubed the tracks top and bottom both sides. That fixed it. You might try that it's an easy fix, if it works.

Paul
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

PNR,
Are there instructions anywhere on where exactly to lube or how often or what type of grease to use.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Have not had this issue. Please let us know the dealerships findings. The amperage issue I am guessing is from an error code generated by the module?
As for greasing the tracks I was under the impression no grease is nessecary in the tracking. If you use it for a short term fix it may be a pain trying to clean it back out...

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I used blaster overhead garage door lube, it don't leave an oily residue. It dries and is not messy. Worked for me.

Paul
Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr
I used blaster overhead garage door lube, it don't leave an oily residue. It dries and is not messy. Worked for me.

Paul

Does CR recommend this as the solution to that error code then?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I don't know what cr recommends . I do know what fixed the problem. Gears of all types need some lubrication to prevent binding.

Paul
Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
New Camper

I have the 2010 29QB - also with slide problems. At first it was lazy now it's completely unoperable. I took it to the dealer who advised that the single roller bracket was bent causing the motors and gears to be mis-aligned causing buckling and eventual disintegration of the slide. I now need to spend $2500 to have the slide removed and completely rebuilt, then re-installed with proper, evenalignment. New rollers (I apparently Ijust have one roller on my slide whereas the new units have 5 rollers). The slide is a nice option but I'm wondering why Crossroads can't made the slides completely foolproof - it's not that complicated of a technological breakthrough in my opinion.
Big German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big German
I have the 2010 29QB - also with slide problems. At first it was lazy now it's completely unoperable. I took it to the dealer who advised that the single roller bracket was bent causing the motors and gears to be mis-aligned causing buckling and eventual disintegration of the slide. I now need to spend $2500 to have the slide removed and completely rebuilt, then re-installed with proper, evenalignment. New rollers (I apparently Ijust have one roller on my slide whereas the new units have 5 rollers). The slide is a nice option but I'm wondering why Crossroads can't made the slides completely foolproof - it's not that complicated of a technological breakthrough in my opinion.

What type of trailer do you have and year?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Crossroads dosn't make the slide Lippert does. They say no lube needed. I lube twice a year with wd-40. I would check all electric conections first also check to make sure battery has full charge. If under warrenty have your dealer fix.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

cwit, do you lube the track itself. I have a 2012 ST 31BHand it has double tracks (top and bottom).Just wondering if that is what you lube.
2013 Dodge Ram Sport R/T 5.7 Hemi(Pics to follow)

https://i44.tinypic.com/mttqmh.jpg
thefabbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I ended up purchasing some dry lube from a RV retailer, it is meant for slide outs. $25 can although it is large enough to last a lifetime. I sprayed the tracking (top and bottom) both sides. I figured it can only help like cwit says.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Site Team

You guys must have a different slide mechanism then what I have by the sounds of it. Mine is two tubes with teeth on the bottom and the drive gear is next to the trailer. About once or twice a year I wire brush the teeth and spray them with WD-40. I put a cardboard on top of the tubes so not to get any over spray on the bottom of the slide. Usually wipe off any excess spray so it isn't carried in on the carpet.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

After 2 days of steady rain I noticed with my slideout retracted into the trailer that I had a puddle of water sitting ontop of it. I had the trailer parked and leveled perfectly. I inspected the seal on the upper portion of the slide out and it looks good and I cannot see how some water seeped underneath it.??
Is it better practise to leave your trailer when not in use either tilted to the front or back? Wondering if this would have prevented the water from pooling ontop of the slide out lip and slip into the trailer.? Any thoughts?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #15
Site Team

I believe you would be better off to have the trailer high on one end/front. I also think the real answer is to have slide toppers.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Old Farmer, it sounds like they have the Schwintek slide mechanism. It has a track on the top and bottom of each side, not underneath like ours. Has two motors, one on top on each side, if I remember right. I know there have been some comments about water getting inside the trailer via the tracks.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

The water was sitting ontop of the slide out inside the trailer. The tracks run on the sides of the slide so for sure they were not the culprit in my case.

I will try and raise one end of the trailer and run water over the roof/slide see if it still leaks.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
New Camper

Hello

Just curious as too what everyone thinks about the slide motors? I just bought a new Sunset Trail 32PB first time owner of a Crossroads. First trip had a small issue with slide. Second trip had a big issue with slide. Now I'm stuck at home going no where this week while my RV sits at repair shop waiting on motors.

We are not really sure it is motor but dealership swears that is it without really even checking it out. We were able to beat on the wall and make the slide that was stuck move so we thought must be a faulty connection somewhere but when we went to leave in 4 days the other side of the slide got stuck so maybe we were wrong and it was dumb luck....

Any suggestions?
want2BontheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

One would think that the RV dealers would carry slide motors. Took me 3 weeks to get a motor installed for my rear stabilizers. If it is under warranty I think the dealer waits for the motor to be shipped to them from the manufacturer.

My fifth wheel has theSchwintek slide mechanism on the bed slide and "standard" slides on the other two slides. The controller for the</span>Schwintek slide mechanism is in a compartment under the bed. Found it because when the RV dealer aligned the slide they left the cover off.</span>
</span>
My previous trailers had hydraulic slides - only had alignment problems - would drag on the floor and scratch the floor covering.</span>

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
New Camper

I agree when we called to set up appt they said it was a common issue and they think the company who makes the motors undersized them. So I would think they should be in stock as well. Totally ridiculous to have to wait 2 to 3 weeks. This is our first camper that has slides. One deep slide and one normal. I was very leary of owning a camper with slides but spouse was persistent about having the space. Hope it doesn't turn out to be worst decision
want2BontheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote