Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
New Camper

st 33pb. Will purchase soon

Hopefully we (myself, my wife, and 9yo twin daughters)will be purchasing the st33pb in the next couple of weeks. We currently use a 2010 Dutchman 29 foot.It has been a great camper although very basic. We are excited to upgrade to a better model. We have looked as much as we can both locally in person and online at multiple models. They all have pros and cons but at the end of the day we keep coming back to the st33pb. Anyone have any insight good or bad with this model that we would like to know??? Thanks alot for any help!!!

joe
kayakjoe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Wife and I were looking at floor plans the other night and the one thing we both noticed on the st33pb was how close the foot of the bed appeared to be to the wall. We thought it might make it harder to make the bed.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
New Camper

my wife noticed the same thing. she would prefer a full walk around bed. all rvs have some compromise.,the rear room of the st33pb more than makes up for some other misgivings. we can use it as a family room but still have a spot for the twins to call their own.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have that unit and love it. The foot of the bed is not a huge issue as you can easily slide your hand between the wall and the mattress. The bed lifts up for storage as well so that also makes it easy to make the bed. I am 6'3" and fit comfortably when sleeping.

We have 9 & 7 y/o daughters and they are the reason we got them their own room as well. They like sitting at the table in the back doing crafts or rubber band bracelets.

2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve ST33PB
2013 Ford F150 SCREW 4X4 EcoBoost Max Tow 6'5" bed 3.73 Tuxedo Black
Equal-i-zer Hitch
SJEagles609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

This looks like an ideal unit for parents with a couple of girls (or boys). Although my girls are grown now, I know they would have loved this. You know how they like their privacy! You will be able to make some great memories with this unit. And the fact that the bed is a real queen size is a plus.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
This looks like an ideal unit for parents with a couple of girls (or boys). Although my girls are grown now, I know they would have loved this. You know how they like their privacy! You will be able to make some great memories with this unit. And the fact that the bed is a real queen size is a plus.
Our thoughts were rainy days, they will have a place to do their own things!

You are correct with the true queen bed!

The only issue we have with the unit is the accordion doors for the Master Bedroom; wish they were solid sliding/pocket doors.

Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
New Camper

well barring any unexpected glitches we will be picking up our st33pb tomorrow. looking foward to getting out on the road in a couple of weeks.

joe
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjoe22 View Post
well barring any unexpected glitches we will be picking up our st33pb tomorrow. looking foward to getting out on the road in a couple of weeks.

joe
Congrats, glad to hear! I know the feeling living up in the Northeast I am dying to go camping!

Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
New Camper

took the new camper out this past weekend to Santa Rosa Beach. So far so good. Everything seemed to work as planned. It towed well with my Titan. In addition to myself, my wife, and our 10 yo twins we took our grandkids...4 yo boy and 2 yo girl. it was the first camping trip for the grandkids. had a good time. looking foward to an extended trip to really get a feel for it but so far absolutely love it
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Another Titan owner, awesome. The ST33PB has a cool layout. Glad to hear you're enjoying it and that it towed well.

I will admit I was a little shocked after I looked up the specs on the ST33PB. In comparison my 290QB is 2000lb lighter, 5ft shorter and has 220lb less tongue weight. I feel I'm maxxed out safety wise with my setup and toting my wife 2 kids and 2 dogs along. I don't want to be the weight police I just wanted to pass along some friendly tips and insight.

I know the Titan can pull much better than the numbers they list and I've read where several guys tow similar to your numbers regularly. My concerns though would be your tongue weight, rear GAWR and GVWR. Those can't be changed without axle swaps and frame reinforcement. I also know some RV salesmen will tell you can tow much more than you actually can to make a sale. I'm not saying you need a 3/4 ton diesel I just wanted to alert you to some things to be aware of for safety on your next camping trip.

If you don't already belong to the TitanTalk forum I'd suggest stopping by and reading some of the posts in the Towing and Hauling section. I'm not a moderator or in anyway associated with Titan Talk other than being a long time member (I've had 3 Titan's) and contributor to the forum. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or thoughts.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Congrats...on the ST33PB. Sharp unit. The kids are going to have a blast in the back room!

We have the 300BH and three boys, all teenagers now so they dont really want to hang out in the back room all that much. ...Twins also! I like the ST33PB because the boys think there isnt enough light back there in our 300BH.

We were life-long Jayco owners and have been very very impressed with Sunset Trail. What sold us was the low dry weight of the ultra light models. Towed Ohio to Idaho with my 1/2 ton and couldnt be happier with the handling and mileage.

My favorite thing about the customer service is they work with you directly. Great customer service group there. They've shipped us little things under warranty so I dont have to drag the unit to the dealer to fix a bulb or caulk a seam.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Congrats

Read through some of the previous posts you had and thought to post a few thoughts.

Couple things we've experienced and just my opinion..

1) Never hesitate to call customer service
My favorite thing about the customer service is they work with you directly on the little things that can break or didnt quite fit together at the factory. I'm pretty handy and my dealer is 4 hours away. Great customer service group there. They've shipped us little things under warranty so I don't have to drag the unit to the dealer to fix a bulb or caulk a seam. Our LED Awning light strip went out over time and they 2-day shipped one to us before our lats trip.

2) LED Awning Lights
Great in the showroom, not so durable on the road. As mentioned, the LED light strip will eventually burn out. Make sure you get one replaced under warranty. I'm on my second second set. Took 30 minutes to install.

3) Front Cap
dont have it on my ultralight, but throw a couple coats of wax on your front cap and check it after your first season. In prior year models, people have complained about cracking and fading, but that may be the dark brown color of the previous model years contributing to the issue.

4)Towing & Weight
To chime in with a previous poster, your a bit heavy in general but specifically at the tongue for your truck. It all boils down to each individuals comfort level, if you have not already done so you need to invest in a good weight distributing hitch and also pickup a tongue scale. About 150 bucks on Amazon. You would be shocked how much you have up front with a loaded unit and even more surprised how moving things around/out of the front storage/under bed make a difference in weight and handling. I look at it as a small investment considering the precious cargo in the truck!

5) Crossroads Forum
Most important..use this forum to talk to others and share your stories. I can't begin to tell you how much great advice I've received from the good folks on this site. Chances are if you have a question or problem, someone on this forum has an answer. Also, check in every now an than, your experience and good advice is needed too!

Happy Trails!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
New Camper

Appreciate all the comments. We are really happy with our new TT. In regards to the Titan and towing the new camper. I certainly am aware that I am reaching the upper limits of what a Titan can safely tow. With the tow package a 2008 Titan SE crew cab lists a maximum trailer weight of 9400lb. The dry weight of this trailer was listed at just over 7700lb. The maximum trailer tongue load is listed at 940lb. I believe my TT is listed at 882lb. I do realize this is definitely pushing the limit but it actually seems to tow easier than my previous TT, a 29 ft Dutchman that weighed about 5800lb dry. Also the bulk of my camping gear and toys(kayaks, paddleboards, beach gear, etc) are in a storage shed at the beach so we have little other that clothing in the camper when we tow.

My towing is essentially limited to the Florida panhandle. All two lane backroads and very few hills. It is 90 miles from driveway to beach. i own property on Choctawhatchee Bay that I am converting to a campsite. It will have water, sewer, 50 amp, and cable within the next few weeks. Once that is done the camper will be left there for the long term.

So overall I will be towing very little and am comfortable with my current Titan. If i towed longer distances or travelled over more varied and less flat terrain I may have chosen differently. Of course being close on towing limits will eventually cause me to look for a bigger truck...not that I want another payment at this time<G>.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

The Florida flats and the better designed '08 hitch are both in your favor. I didn't want to alarm you, just want to ensure you and the family to have safe travels. TT dry weights and TV tow ratings are always confusing and can be deceiving. Just be aware the propane tanks and battery will likely put you over the tongue weight without any additional gear. I plan to buy a Sherline LM2000 tongue weight scale just to be able to check mine on each trip. I also just ordered a Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit for my Titan to make things a little smoother and more stable. Happy Camping!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
The Florida flats and the better designed '08 hitch are both in your favor. I didn't want to alarm you, just want to ensure you and the family to have safe travels. TT dry weights and TV tow ratings are always confusing and can be deceiving. Just be aware the propane tanks and battery will likely put you over the tongue weight without any additional gear. I plan to buy a Sherline LM2000 tongue weight scale just to be able to check mine on each trip. I also just ordered a Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit for my Titan to make things a little smoother and more stable. Happy Camping!
thanks for the response. I tell you though...it really drives better and easier with this new heavier and longer trailer then with my previous one....4 feet shorter and roughly 1600lb lighter. Doesnt seem to need any additional braking distance either. I would guess i have no more than 400lbs in the trailer when i travel. we usually take my wifes car to travel around once at the beach so the Titan usually has me, the dog, a cooler, couple of bikes, and gas...very borderline.I guess the hitch weight is my limiting factor here as I am well below the 9400lb weight overall. i do appreciate you making me more aware of how close I am. always good to be aware of these things.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

It sounds like you do it right when you go camping, light loads and extra vehicle. You shouldn't have any issues. Except in gas mileage, the Titans are thirsty. We usually go 125 - 130 miles one way to our favorite spot up in the hills of PA and I'll burn over 1/2 tank each way (avg 9.0 MPG).
Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Numbers are great to have, but you are right..its all in the way she handles and how your TV pulls. I was pulling a hybrid with a Sequoia and even though the numbers were fine on paper, I felt the float.

Hey, another thing I did...10 ply tires. Ride like rocks in the Northern Ohio winters but tow like a dream..

Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
It sounds like you do it right when you go camping, light loads and extra vehicle. You shouldn't have any issues. Except in gas mileage, the Titans are thirsty. We usually go 125 - 130 miles one way to our favorite spot up in the hills of PA and I'll burn over 1/2 tank each way (avg 9.0 MPG).

9.0 ain't bad..We towed to Gettysburg from Ohio and man, the hills put the hurt on the wallet.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Yea next year I'll be adding E-rated tires, likely Coopers. I'm trying to get thru this season with the stock P-metric SR-A's. E-rated tires will affect the MPG's but are supposed to be much nicer for towing. My mileage only dropped by 1.5 to 2 MPG when I moved up and nearly doubled our TT size so that's pretty good.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Yea next year I'll be adding E-rated tires, likely Coopers. I'm trying to get thru this season with the stock P-metric SR-A's. E-rated tires will affect the MPG's but are supposed to be much nicer for towing. My mileage only dropped by 1.5 to 2 MPG when I moved up and nearly doubled our TT size so that's pretty good.

Good to know. I was wondering why my mileage dropped, I figured a combination of the 10 ply tires and winter weather.