Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper
 
AstronomyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 24
Sunset Trail 253RB - Water Damage

I have a 2018 CrossRoads SunSet Trail 253RB. I went over to the storage yard where my camper is and started tearing the vinyl floor up to uncover the soft spots on my campers floor. The first place was at the rear of the slide. There is a big half round circle of soaked plywood and the center of it is at the rear of the slides opening. This emanates out between 4 to 5 feet. I inspected the slides seal and see that it evidently was damaged during installation from the factory and rather then take it off and replace it they stuck some black sticky tape on it to repair it. It failed. I never saw it until I climbed up on a ladder and took a close look. I went ahead and tore some more vinyl and found a big half round soaked circle with the middle of it lining up with the front arm of the awning. It was between the door and the bedroom window. it covered an area going past the door. There is a hole where the wires enter at the top of the awning that wasn't sealed letting water in. I have started tearing the plywood off of both areas. Now I need to know if there is any other material to replace the plywood with that isn't so susceptible to water . I would also like to know if the slide seals are single piece or multiple piece. I haven't removed them yet and I want to order the right seal before hand.

Thanks
Tim
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Team
 
mark5w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 5,491
One choice would be Marine plywood. Pretty resistant to water.
Two others are https://www.huberwood.com/advantech/...or-subflooring
and https://www.huberwood.com/advantech/subflooring available le at Lowes
__________________
Mark & Susan
Lehighton, Pennsylvania

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:44 AM   #3
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronomyGuy View Post
I have a 2018 CrossRoads SunSet Trail 253RB. I went over to the storage yard where my camper is and started tearing the vinyl floor up to uncover the soft spots on my campers floor. The first place was at the rear of the slide. There is a big half round circle of soaked plywood and the center of it is at the rear of the slides opening. This emanates out between 4 to 5 feet. I inspected the slides seal and see that it evidently was damaged during installation from the factory and rather then take it off and replace it they stuck some black sticky tape on it to repair it. It failed. I never saw it until I climbed up on a ladder and took a close look. I went ahead and tore some more vinyl and found a big half round soaked circle with the middle of it lining up with the front arm of the awning. It was between the door and the bedroom window. it covered an area going past the door. There is a hole where the wires enter at the top of the awning that wasn't sealed letting water in. I have started tearing the plywood off of both areas. Now I need to know if there is any other material to replace the plywood with that isn't so susceptible to water . I would also like to know if the slide seals are single piece or multiple piece. I haven't removed them yet and I want to order the right seal before hand.

Thanks
Tim
The floor of your camper is likely a sandwich made up of a layer of 1/4 or 5/16 plywood, 1.5 inches (or around that thickness, I never measured any of the thicknesses) of foam (the cheap white stuff) and another layer of thin plywood. The strength comes from it all being formed as a bonded sandwich.
__________________
2018 Sunset Trail 253RB
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DannyZeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member
 
TexSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 127
Also check the seals on all the storage doors as they are notorious for leaking. I had a leak on mine and that turned out to be where the water was coming in. After I repaired the floors and used spray foam insulation instead of fiberglass I replaced all the seals with new ones.
__________________
TexSon
2010 Zinger ZT29DS - SOLD
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 PM   #5
Weekend Camper
 
AstronomyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZeee View Post
The floor of your camper is likely a sandwich made up of a layer of 1/4 or 5/16 plywood, 1.5 inches (or around that thickness, I never measured any of the thicknesses) of foam (the cheap white stuff) and another layer of thin plywood. The strength comes from it all being formed as a bonded sandwich.
That does make it difficult to figure out a plan on how to replace it. That 1/4 inch plywood falls apart when it gets wet. I have been removing the wet wood. Some of it is hard to get to and some of it was only wet on the bottom layer. By the door I'm using pressure treated 3/4 plywood set in the aluminum frame . I plan to glue an overlay of 1/4 inch plywood on top of that. I figure if it leaks again at least the 3/4 plywood would have a chance to survive. I decided to try out the Eternabond tape for the roof. I just did the entire perimeter of the roof today. Mainly out of precaution. I found a few places that the manufacturer did a poor job sealing up the camper. I'm tackling the area of the slide tomorrow.The slide itself has no leaks. The leaks are around the opening on one end . I think the best thing to do so I don't get overwhelmed is just take one step at a time . I am thinking about putting water sensors in about 6 places so I can catch it sooner the next time.
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Team
 
mark5w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 5,491
My floor is made of 5/8" tongue and groove plywood. Not a sandwich. Below the plywood is 16+" on center aluminum tube floor joists and R28 fiberglass insulation.

Note my year and model in my signature.
__________________
Mark & Susan
Lehighton, Pennsylvania

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:08 PM   #7
Weekend Camper
 
AstronomyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
My floor is made of 5/8" tongue and groove plywood. Not a sandwich. Below the plywood is 16+" on center aluminum tube floor joists and R28 fiberglass insulation.

Note my year and model in my signature.
The aluminum tubing on mine varies. I tried to get the on center measurement but it's not the same all the way through. I imagine the company engineered the floor to each model and to save money on the aluminum. I heard that some companies are doing away with the use of plywood for sandwich floors and going to a product that isn't affected as much by water leaks.
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:36 AM   #8
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
My floor is made of 5/8" tongue and groove plywood. Not a sandwich. Below the plywood is 16+" on center aluminum tube floor joists and R28 fiberglass insulation.

Note my year and model in my signature.
Note that the OP has a 2018 253RB, and I have a 2018 253RB, gonna go out on a limb, and say they likely both have the "sandwich" style floor.
__________________
2018 Sunset Trail 253RB
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DannyZeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 8,895
Does that sandwich come with ham and cheese also?
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
135 Watt Solar Panel
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:34 AM   #10
Weekend Camper
 
AstronomyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Does that sandwich come with ham and cheese also?
No, It's more of a crap sandwich.
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #11
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Does that sandwich come with ham and cheese also?
Be willing to bet the OP would likely provide those ham & cheese sandwiches if you were to drop over and give him a hand with his floor. also lol
__________________
2018 Sunset Trail 253RB
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DannyZeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
Weekend Camper
 
AstronomyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZeee View Post
Be willing to bet the OP would likely provide those ham & cheese sandwiches if you were to drop over and give him a hand with his floor. also lol
Absolutely ! Maybe even a cold snack or two.
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×