Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
New Camper

Angry Sunset Trail 32bh

Hi everyone. In late 2018 we purchased a (hardly) used Cross Roads 32 BH in PRISTINE condition. Original owner never used any of the plumbing (water heater) and kept all shades down so as to prevent UV damage. At the end of 2019 season, when I went to close the main slideout, only one motor worked (motor 1 as identified by the controller did not work).After exhausting youtube videos and service centers looking for advise on how to close (and an impending early season snow storm due) I decided to "lift off the motors" so that I could manually close the slider. It took 4 BIG guys to slowly move the slide in, every inch of the way was a battle and the slide is extremely heavy.

So this month, I am looking for ideas about how to "extend" the slider. According to the controller, the code indicates a harness issue. Once again both motors have been disengaged, but the slide will not budge. I had a local service tech out at my site today and he is also stumped. He has access to a technician line at Lippert that I do not have access to.

According to the Lippert technical documentation (and they have everything on line) once the motors are disengaged, I should be able to move the slider manually. Any thoughts as to why I am not able to move the slide? Are there some sort of mechanical brake that prevents the slide from moving even when the motor is disengaged?

Thank you for any and all thoughts, comments and or suggestions

Best regards
gallante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would pull the seals out far enough to look in with a flash light, top (sticks or debris), bottom (is seal being pulled in on top of roller), sides look for metal shavings at the bottom of the H columns. Is there any damage to the bottom of slide where rollers run (possible bad roller)? Is there anything caught between trailer floor and bottom of slide? Are you positive both motors are disconnected from the torque shafts as they act as a brake when not under power. Check bearing block v rollers for damage. Have you lubed the slide rack and bearing blocks?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Look under our DOCUMENT section under manuals. There is a video about the motors and a manual. Check it out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Do you not have a manual crank handle to bring it in temporarily. Usually there is a small round hole in the fiberglass on the opposite side of the camper from the slide.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Do you not have a manual crank handle to bring it in temporarily. Usually there is a small round hole in the fiberglass on the opposite side of the camper from the slide.
Sounds like he has a schwintek slide. No manual crank.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Team

You have a 2018 32 BH. Is it a Sunset Trail or a Zinger as they use different slide systems. If you would PLEASE Add the MAKE- MODEL and YEAR to your signature it will help us to help you. The Zinger uses a rack type slide and the Sunset Trail uses a cable type. Please let us know what type you have.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
New Camper

Sorry for the lack of detail. It is a 2013 Sunset Trail 32RBH. Is uses schwintek slide out components. I have accessed the schwintek on line library (which is quite extensive actually)

Both motors have been disengaged and the slide is IN. I will note once again that when I moved the slide IN from OUT last fall 2019, it was incredibly difficult. Took 5 guys to get the unit IN for the winter.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
New Camper

No manual access. Unit uses Schwintek slide components. Thank you
Old 04-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Did you remove the motors to disengage the gears, or does the gear on the motor move down the shaft to disengage from the gear rack on the side of the slide?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallante View Post
No manual access. Unit uses Schwintek slide components. Thank you
Oh, ok.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #11
New Camper

I have disengaged both motors so that I could SLIDE the unit in last fall, it was so difficult. Now with VERY limited access I can see that the gear box doesn't move when I try to push the slide out. Neither side gear box will move, just seems to be bound. Is there a simple method to remove the gear box? Everyone says the slide should be very easy to move so if that is the case, if the gear boxes were removed then I could slide the unit in and out one time at the beginning of the season and once at the end
Old 05-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Have you checked the module to see if it has a blinking light? Unplug the module looms to release the slide brake then should push in & out easy.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Questions? Look in our Document sections for different manuals and help.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 05-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #14
New Camper

Current status, I was physically able to extend the slideout. Visually the wiring on each motor has been damaged. I was able to purchase a replacement harness as well as a short one that I will keep in the camper to use to determine if a motor "stops" working (jump with my cordless battery). Once I take the motors out I will see if its possible to solder the wiring connections (apparently a common repair with 1st generation motors).
I will advise situation early next week. Thanks to all who have comment on this post.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Gallante; what did you find or what did you have to do to get the slide to finally move? I soldered wires back on one of my motors, worked ok. I've got two newer style motors coming for mine just in case there's ever a problem. Good Luck on yours!!
Old 09-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Galante,
I have a 2014 Crossroads 32BH....Renters have it and the the slide just stopped working. It appears the connector the motor has come disconnected. Of course its the side you cant get to because there is no space. So we tried to disengage the motors. I am told their is a screw that holds them in place. We can not find this screw. Any suggestions where the screw is? Right now my renters are stuck in middle of nowhere in CA with slide out. Also any tricks to get access to the motor so we can reconnect the harness? Mobile tech cant get out until Next Tues and even then I am concerned he wont know what to do.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesd View Post
Galante,
I have a 2014 Crossroads 32BH....Renters have it and the the slide just stopped working. It appears the connector the motor has come disconnected. Of course its the side you cant get to because there is no space. So we tried to disengage the motors. I am told their is a screw that holds them in place. We can not find this screw. Any suggestions where the screw is? Right now my renters are stuck in middle of nowhere in CA with slide out. Also any tricks to get access to the motor so we can reconnect the harness? Mobile tech cant get out until Next Tues and even then I am concerned he wont know what to do.
Thr screw needs to be accessed from the outside
Old 09-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Thr screw needs to be accessed from the outside
I know that.....we do not see any screws....do I have to remove something to see them?

I have read other places that they did away with the screws in later models. Could that be so?

Anyway regardless of the screws if I put screwdriver in from outside under the motor and pry up is that all that is needed to release the gears on the slide? The videos and manuals make it look all so simple, which in reality isnt so.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #19
Site Team

We have a document section with different manuals in for you to refer to. Look for you slide type and for help.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
We have a document section with different manuals in for you to refer to. Look for you slide type and for help.
I have looked at all those manuals....watched more videos then I ever care to....so guess we will have to discover for ourselves.

Thanks!

Tags
schwintek / lippert, slide, stuck in