Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
New Camper

Tires

We will be picking up our new Sunset travel trailer next Saturday - 253 RB. I have been reading a lot about really bad tires on travel trailers (china bombs). Should I consider replacing these tires immediately?

Im willing to do this if necessary. This is my first travel trailer so I need your advice.
dgood7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would wait till you see what you have and then ask the question about your specific brand and model.

The most common reason for tire failure is improper inflation and age.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I would replace with Goodyear Endurance and go up a load range if possible.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Let us know what size and rating your tires are. Many ST tires are only rated for 63mph, which many campers exceed. That is another prime reason the tire blows; overheating.
Your camper is a lightweight, not sure going up a rating is necessary.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Team

The tire subject has been hashed and rehashed many times here. You will get many opinions.
Some have run their original tires for quite some time and had no issues. Others state that they had them blow almost immediately. I ran mine for about 2 years with no problems.

I don't run ST tires. After changing out the first set I went to LT tires. I've never had a problem with them. Now there will be some who say OH MY GOSH, don't ever put a light truck tire on your rig.

I say it's your call, do what you feel comfortable with.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I think I ran my originals for two seasons and then replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Tire opinions are just that. I personally have talked to other campers and some have had blowouts and some have ran them for years with no problems. Some have had problems with the :Name Brand " tires. Personally if you want to change them out than do so If it is in your budget.

The main thing is to take care of what ever tires you have. Run the correct pressure for your camper and check them cold first thing in the morning. Also monitor them for any odd wear pattern and watch the potholes they will destroy any tire.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Goodyear Endurance have had very good reviews and I believe are the only ST tire with speed rating above 70 mph. Keep them pumped up!
Old 05-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Another Opinion

I got my 253RB two Saturday's ago. It was towed 1010 miles from the dealer to my house by a delivery company. Absolutely no sign of tire problems.

Like I have done with past trailers, I installed a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. TST is the manufacturer. I want to know tire pressure and temperature, especially on the 14" tires. My previous trailers were 15" so I was a little concerned about the reduced tire size.

I'll have to check the speed rating next time I'm near my trailer. It's in covered storage 6 miles away. I'm assuming the delivery company driver did not go 65 MPH for the 1010 miles it took to get to my house, although I will drive at the max speed for which the tires are rated, and conditions dictate. It's 102 degrees at my house today. If I were towing on the highway I'd monitor the tire temperature and maybe tow at less than rated tire speed.

I will replace the current tires with a set of Goodyear Endurance ST tires when current tires wear down.

I have read on other Forums discussions about ST versus LT tires on travel trailers. The bottom line is, LT tires are not designed to take the side loads that travel trailers or 5th wheels put on tires. ST tires are specifically designed to take the side loads. People can certainly install any type of tire they wish, however when it comes to safety, I spare no expense, and I believe what tire engineers are saying on various Forums.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #10
Wit
Weekend Camper

I ran mine about 1500 miles and switched to Goodyear Endurance this spring. We are just now getting ready to take our first with them. I went up a load range, anxious to see how they do.
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Congratulations on the new camper . I have a 253 RB. I drove on the tires that came with the camper for a little over a year. I made sure they were inflated properly but I always had people asking me if my tires were low because the side walls were pushed out a little bit. I put a set of Goodyear endurance tires on it when I replaced them. I think it was $506.00 out the door. I was amazed at how much better the camper pulled and how much more stable it was. As a side note, I watched the guy take the tires off and I noticed the outer shell of about half of the lugnuts were cracked. I thought that was strange. For safety I had him replace all of the lugnuts. I never seen that happen before. If I had not witnessed myself I would have thought the guy was just trying to sell me more stuff.
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:49 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I have the tire pressure monitors also. Make sure you put the metal valve stems on the tires if you do too!
Old 05-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Unless you have 16" or larger wheels, you cannot put LT tires on your trailer. They are not available in 14" or 15" sizes. For those I would use Goodyear Endurance.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Unless you have 16" or larger wheels, you cannot put LT tires on your trailer. They are not available in 14" or 15" sizes. For those I would use Goodyear Endurance.

You are correct. I had forgotten that. Been to many years ago . I did put the 16 in. wheels on the old Cruiser back in 2013.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Tie Speed Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I got my 253RB two Saturday's ago. It was towed 1010 miles from the dealer to my house by a delivery company. Absolutely no sign of tire problems.

Like I have done with past trailers, I installed a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. TST is the manufacturer. I want to know tire pressure and temperature, especially on the 14" tires. My previous trailers were 15" so I was a little concerned about the reduced tire size.

I'll have to check the speed rating next time I'm near my trailer. It's in covered storage 6 miles away. I'm assuming the delivery company driver did not go 65 MPH for the 1010 miles it took to get to my house, although I will drive at the max speed for which the tires are rated, and conditions dictate. It's 102 degrees at my house today. If I were towing on the highway I'd monitor the tire temperature and maybe tow at less than rated tire speed.

I will replace the current tires with a set of Goodyear Endurance ST tires when current tires wear down.

I have read on other Forums discussions about ST versus LT tires on travel trailers. The bottom line is, LT tires are not designed to take the side loads that travel trailers or 5th wheels put on tires. ST tires are specifically designed to take the side loads. People can certainly install any type of tire they wish, however when it comes to safety, I spare no expense, and I believe what tire engineers are saying on various Forums.
My "China bomb" tires are speed rating M, which is 81MPH. I clearly won't be towing at that speed.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
china bombs, tires