Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a dilemma, I like both 28 bh travel trailer and 5th wheel and not sure which one to buy. I have a 2003 ford f-350 dually 7.3 L with the banks big hauss upgrade, so I have more than enough truck for both. Is one better than the other one for pulling ? And what about backing up? Difference in fuel mileage ? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated .
Billpegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I pulled a travel trailer for years and while I liked my box free to load other things, bikes, etc. we went with a 5th wheel this time. I had a good weight distributing and sway control hitch with my travel trailer but after towing the 5th wheel I wouldn't go back. Both are easy to back up, I just now prefer the layout and style of the 5th wheel. Tows like a charm. I think it really comes down to personal preference. I have bigger pass through storage in the 5thbit the newer travel trailers also have more room. The 5th definitely pushes more air due to the height so it will cost a bit more fuel but I notice less sideways force and sway with the 5th wheel because of the hitch point. You have more than enough truck for either unit.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I only ave experience towing the TT but they way I understand it is the 5ers are supposed to be more stable towing.I would go with the Floorplan you like best. Go sit in both with the whole family and act out your daily activities,ie mom cooking, kids playing, dad watching TV, walking to bathroom etc. Think about where you will store things ie moms clothes in that cabinet, dishes in this cabinet, toys in that drawer, chairs in that outside compartment etc. Once you think about use age it narrows it down even more for you. Don't forget to think about where you will carry bikes and wood etcEdited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
I only ave experience towing the TT but they way I understand it is the 5ers are supposed to be more stable towing.I would go with the Floorplan you like best. Go sit in both with the whole family and act out your daily activities,ie mom cooking, kids playing, dad watching TV, walking to bathroom etc. Think about where you will store things ie moms clothes in that cabinet, dishes in this cabinet, toys in that drawer, chairs in that outside compartment etc. Once you think about use age it narrows it down even more for you. Don't forget to think about where you will carry bikes and wood etc

X2 Good advice. Have fun and best of luck
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Much easier to tow 5th wheel. Always had a wiggle with a TT that no hitch would resolve. I'd never go back from the 5th wheel.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I recently moved up from a 25' TT to the fifth wheel 28BH. Without going into the other benefits and cons others have gone over, there are several differences you need to think about. The fifth wheel is taller on the inside and the bedroom is much larger. There are two entertainment systems in the fifth wheel and more storage, compared to a shared entertainment system on trailer version. I believe the fifth wheel version has more standard options, but I would confirm that with Crossroads. The fifth wheel hitch can cost from a few hundred to a couple thousand, depending on what options you want.

I love our fifth and I am with the others, I never plan on going back anytime toon. I would say check both out and go with your gut on this one, either one will bring you good camping in the future.

Todd
2013 Sunset Trails SF28BH
Accoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accoster
The fifth wheel is taller on the inside and the bedroom is much larger. There are two entertainment systems in the fifth wheel and more storage, compared to a shared entertainment system on trailer version. I believe the fifth wheel version has more standard options, but I would confirm that with Crossroads. The fifth wheel hitch can cost from a few hundred to a couple thousand, depending on what options you want.Todd
I agree with Todd on all the points he made. I will pass on some advice a good friend of mine gave me when I was ready to buy "get as many slides as you can". I have three slides on my CF30SK and glad I took my friends advice.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have towed pull behinds (TT) and fifth wheels - - fifth wheel is much more stable going down the road. Once I went to a fifth wheel I never even thought about going back to a TT.

Our RV history:
Pop up
TT
Fifth wheel
Motor Home
Fifth Wheel

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I have had fifth wheels and travel trailers. I like the travel trailer , I like my covered bed for storage.
I don't like stairs in the fifth wheels. As far as stability, my Hensley hitch makes it as stable as any fifth wheel. Pro pride hitch will do the same.

Paul

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I've have, as others on here, had both TT and 5'vers. I currently have the 5'ver pictured in my signature block and love it. Again, as others have said, it boils down to YOUR preference. The 5'vers, in my opinion, are more stable, have more head room throughout the trailer, allow for more slide outs and I think are easier to hook on to. You can plainly see the king pin on the camper and direct it right into the 5th wheel on your truck. Also, I may be a little prejudice because I did drive tractor trailer for about 4 years cross-country.

**WAS**2013 Sunset Trail Reserve SF32RL
**WAS**2011 Dodge 1500 Outdoorsman
**NOW** 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL
Gcross1468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
New Camper

Hey Gcross,

Are you able to pull that trailert with your Dodge 1500 outdoorsman? I have a 1500 Hemi and am debating between a small fiver or a TT.

Thanks,
colemanfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks every one I have a lot to think about
Billpegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Absolutely! It's sold as a "half ton towable" and it really is! It's 8712 pounds and initially only caused our pickup to squat a little. After installing the airbags though, it's as straight as an arrow. As for power, well you know the hemi! We live in a pretty hilly area (Vermont) and have never had any problems with power, sway, squat or anything.

**WAS**2013 Sunset Trail Reserve SF32RL
**WAS**2011 Dodge 1500 Outdoorsman
**NOW** 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL
Gcross1468 is offline   Reply With Quote