Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
New Camper

used Sunet Trail 32RL slide wire issues

New to the camping world and this forum... long story short we purchased a used 2014 32RL (former owner had it a few months and traded in) in January 2014. Everything seemed fine at the dealership... camper was taken to our campsite the day of purchase and we set it up fine. The last day we started closing up and when the kitchen slide was closing we noticed some wires/cables hanging down from under the slide. Got to looking and noticed a plastic black piece that "used" to hold the cables in place was broken and dangling from the bottom of the camper along with the cables. While looking under the camper I saw the metal boxes (not sure what they are called) that were supposed to be attached to the lip of the slides (kitchen side slide and slide directly across from it) were pulled away and dangling as well. What could have caused this?

Finally ( after a few weeks) was able to get dealer to pick up camper to fix under warranty (among other issues which is another forum discussion). Camper was "fixed" and when we camped the next time I looked under the camper and all they did to "fix" the cable issue was tie wrap the black plastic piece and cables together to the bottom of the camper. Upon closing the slide wires are still hanging down from under the camper and in our opinion the slide does not close completely due to this obstruction.

I have notified the dealer of this issue and awaiting a response from them as to when they can "fix" this again.

Has anyone in here seen this type of problem with their campers? Like I said we are new to ownership of a camper and feel very frustrated and concerned that we may be stuck with this camper if the dealer is not able to repair to "new" condition.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!!
rmmilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Skip the dealer and aggravation and the cost of dragging it in over and over. Find a independent RV service and have it repaired the first time and last time,
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
New Camper

thanks for the response!! Our camper is stored at a campground in SC (we live 5 hrs away) and is 2 miles from the dealer (Camping World)... they just pick up the camper from the campground and bring it in so we are not having to bring it to them. That was the main reasoning for purchasing from Camping World due to that convenience. Not looking like such a good decision at this time.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I learned the hard way after dragging mine 100 miles three times and getting half fixed and wrong. I got lucky and found a great RV service about the same distance but hard it repaired the smart way and one time. Good luck .
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

still using those crappy plastic holders . call CR and tell them what is happening . tell them to send you the metal spring that holds the wires underneath your slide . I know they have them . my strap broke 3 times . they got wise and sent the spring .the wires should be fastened to this spring with plastic ties or clips
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Do a search about "flex guards". They appear to be a known problem with slide outs.
kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
New Camper

thanks to all for your responses to our issue... I did a quick search on the flex guards just on this site and yes there is a history of these failing often. I will call CR and look into the metal spring... thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

i called CR and they told me they dont know anything about a spring solution. All they are still offering is a replacement of the flex guards. Is there a part number or something that you have for the springs that I can call them back with?

Scott
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Okay.... This happens to all most all RV's they use a plastic wire loom. with age and cold and heat they become brittle, and break. Get a old automobile flat belt, us it to replace that wire loom, or just place it under the break and use stainless screws and nuts to hold it in place
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote