Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Unhappy Water Coming In a Strange Place...

We love the layout of our 2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail 270BH, but we don't like the list of problems we have had. Some have been taken care of under warranty, and some have been refused and we will have to live with them. One thing we can't live with, which is a leak above the slide-out, started happening before the trailer even reached its model year (purchased Sept 2013). The leak is not coming in between the seal and the slide-out, but rather it appears to be coming in from the wall above the seal, as shown in the photo. The dealer made a few attempts at a repair but has given up and told us to take the trailer home. When this leak happens, the water runs off the slide-out onto the floor across in front of the TV and into the bedroom, where it makes a big puddle in the corner by the closet and under the bed. We have water damage on the wood trim wherever the water travels, including inside the front storage compartment underneath. The wood framing under the bed has turned black in places that we didn't get dried fast enough. We have to take a pile of towels and soak up the water each time. In the winter, the puddle freezes into a skating rink. We have a dozen towels on the floor and on top of the slide to catch the water, but sometimes it soaks them and moves on. My concern is that, since it seems to be coming from the wall, that the actual source may be somewhere on the roof...meaning that lots of damage could be happening elsewhere up there. Our "brand new dream trailer" has become a nightmare. Not sure who to turn to if the dealer won't do any more for us. Also, they have it outside on their lot...waiting for us to pick it up. I would think that they are responsible for mopping up the water while it's in their care, and responsible for any further water damage if they don't keep mopping up the water. We aren't sure what to do next (contact Crossroads, the BBB, Small Claims Court)? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leak.jpg (278.5 KB, 91 views)
HappyValleyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Team

I would document everything just like you are doing. Contact Crossroads by phone and email to the repthe pictures and a explanation of the problem. Also, contact your dealer and email them the same info. Insist that this has to be resolved. Water leaks could be devastating to your rv. I hope you contacted both your dealer and Crossroads before your warranty ran out.

Best of luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mark! We haven't had any direct contact with Crossroads. We thought the dealer would take care of warranty issues, like a car dealer. We do have to contact Crossroads about another issue with all the cabinet doors separating. The dealer said "they all come like that new" and "they were like that when we bought the trailer". Fortunately, we had clear inside photos of the cabinet doors from when we took our daughter in to see the trailer on the day we bought it. Even after seeing the proof that they were perfect when we bought the trailer, the dealer said "Crossroads wouldn't authorize the repair". Yes...everything was reported during the warranty period. I know the damage that water can cause. This is our third trailer, but first new one. We thought we'd get a few worry-free years out of something that cost over $30,000. "It ain't over yet". Thanks again!!
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree, contact CR on both issues, sooner the better. Besides describing the problems, tell them how long these problems have existed w/o resolution. Finally, get a clear understanding on when they will have an answer for you and call back if necessary, and keep calling if necessary. No unit should leak. And if the dealer is incapable of fixing it, then it needs to be returned to the factory.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I had (possible still have) the same problem with our ST Reserve 30RE. We had water appearing on the slide, eventually making it onto the floor, but this only happened when
the slide was in. I took it to the dealer (assume it was same dealer as yours in B'water) and they said it was screws being too long on the top corner peices on the slide. They were pushing on the bulb seal causing a less than perfect seal. They ground them down. So far it hasn't leaked. Hope I'm not jinxing myself! I also make sure when I put the slide in fully; ie I wait for the motor to stop before I release the switch. Not sure if I was doing that before.
What would make you thing the water is coming in from the roof? If so, and the roof membrane has no holes or tears, would it be coming in by the trim strip where the roof membrane meets the side wall? Possible, but I would thing the fibreglass wall would be delaminating if that was the case.
Fortunately I am able to store mine indoors during the winter so I don't know if the problem is really fixed. If the problem reoccurs in the spring I am considering installing a hefty drip rail (gutter) over the slide. I've seen it on other brands.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Do either one of you guys have a topper over that slide?
I know and realize that it shouldn't leak----period, but I believe those toppers prevent a lot of water problems.

With that being said, I have to agree with the advise given by Mark and Larry.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Liks stated earlier , the trim where the roof membrane meets the sidewall may not be the culprit , but almost guarenteed the screws will be loose. I had to tighten all mine on both sides and the back. They only had a thin bead of caulk on top of the trim and was separating from the membrane.
If membrane is cut short , this could cause the leak...maybe.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Yes p4lrjfd ... same dealer. Check out the picture in my first post to see why I think the water is coming in from the wall/roof and not the actual slide seal. Tomorrow we start the process with Crossroads. I expected that the dealer would see this through for us, but they are dropping the ball (and not picking it back up). "Ordinary People "Extraordinary" Service"???? Thanks to everyone posting so far.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

From just looking at the pic, I would have to say it is a seal issue. When speaking to CR I would make sure you have dates etc that you communicated with dealer proving you were dealing with this thru dealer while under warranty.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Good luck HVG. After my first post I remembered something else. The gutter strip (or drip rail) on mine is two separate strips butted up together over the slide. This is also the trim piece where the membrane meets the wall. Anyway, they are notorious for leaking at the butt joint. Maybe the water is getting into the wall at this location. Just thinking. Whatever the cause, follow with CR.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyValleyGoose View Post
Yes p4lrjfd ... same dealer. Check out the picture in my first post to see why I think the water is coming in from the wall/roof and not the actual slide seal. Tomorrow we start the process with Crossroads. I expected that the dealer would see this through for us, but they are dropping the ball (and not picking it back up). "Ordinary People "Extraordinary" Service"???? Thanks to everyone posting so far.
HVG I have the same sunset trail as you do. I have had water leaks on and around my slide out. I finally gave up on dealer and called crossroads myself. It took them awhile to pick mine up from dealer but they do have at their facility and sent me pictures. The side wall was bowed and they peeled back roof and it looked to me the roof was not installed correctly. Between dealer and crossroads they have had it more than i have. I even had to cancell several trips . I made a list of compensation that i want. Talk to them firm but nice and they will work with you.. I will let you know the finale outcome
wayne bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks Wayne..."misery loves company". Sorry to hear someone else is having the same trouble. These trailers are beautiful and well laid out...it's such a shame that this has to happen with them. Our dealer has stopped corresponding with us even though they still have the trailer. We have since been in touch with Crossroads who asked for an email with our complete story, which we have provided as best we could. They asked for dates of service and what the dealer did. It's almost like the dealer won't talk to them either...or they don't have good records of what they did. Confused on that one. Crossroads replied saying management was reviewing what we sent. We are now waiting to hear back from them. Not sure what to think of the dealer's silence. I'll post an update when there is something new. Thanks again!!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hi HVg, Keep calling Crossroads at least once a week. The rep for Crossroads said he would always call me back but never did. Keep bugging them. Hope you get results. My dealer was good to work with. All they wanted to do was put a slide out topper over slide out. But just a banaid to the problem. The dealer said that this was Crossroads fix to the problem, after that i called Crossroads and explained to them how many times it was back to the dealer for the same problem.. They stated they wanted to bring it back to there facility.. I was told from other onwers that this would be better than let the dealer fix . Let me know how you make out.. Unfortunately there is no lemon law to travel trailers.
wayne bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Update time...The dealer and Crossroads agreed on changing out "the bulb seal on the top of the slide out. Which is the seal that the room presses against when closed." [sic] Waiting now for a good rain to check for leaks. Still doesn't seem to me that the water could be coming in where it is, if that seal is leaking. Stay tuned.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyValleyGoose View Post
Update time...The dealer and Crossroads agreed on changing out "the bulb seal on the top of the slide out. Which is the seal that the room presses against when closed." [sic] Waiting now for a good rain to check for leaks. Still doesn't seem to me that the water could be coming in where it is, if that seal is leaking. Stay tuned.
Keep us posted...

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Why wait? Use a hose to create your own rain. At least then you can control it and turn off "the rain" if it doesn't.
Good luck either way.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

The dealer told us we have 5 days to get the trailer off their lot or we will be charged $5 per day for storage. We will pick it up on day 6 just to get that receipt for a precious keepsake. They sold us a lemon and have no sympathy for what we have experienced. They just keep blowing their own horn. There is a lot more to this story than just the wall leak. Crossroads have been good to deal with, but you do have to keep "reminding them" of your issue. The first new trailer we could afford has been a nightmare for us. Thanks all for replies and help.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

A leak in the wall of our 270BH Superlite resulted in 1/2" or deeper pools of water that froze in the front of the master bedroom, under the bed, and in the front storage compartment. When we discovered the leak, the water was frozen. Once we got a couple warmer days, we were able to mop it up. Just the same, the wood under the bed was soaked and stayed that way for quite a while, even though we ran 3 fans inside the trailer to help dry it up. This leak, freeze, mop up cycle repeated a number of times through the winter. In the spring, there was major moisture damage to all countertops and table tops, and moisture damage to cabinet doors. Several attempts were made by the dealer to find and repair the leak and we are waiting for a good rain to see if it is fixed from the most recent attempt. We blamed the damage on the water leak, as the root cause. The dealer disagreed.

We'd like some opinions on this statement made by the owner/manager of our dealership...

"There is no way possible that the water from the slide leak would cause this (moisture damage). I have been in this industry a very long time and have seen my share of leaks. I guarantee this is not what caused this (moisture damage)." Instead, he blamed the fact that the trailer was covered.

The trailer was covered with a $900 Calmark custom made Sunbrella cover. Shouldn't a person be able to cover a trailer with this type of cover and not experience moisture damage under normal conditions? It would seem to me that all that water laying around on the floor and soaked into the wood, would introduce a little moisture in there somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any comments!! RB

PS - He did try to sell me one of "his" covers...an ADCO, I think.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

A leak is a leak , and traliers should not leak. Simple. Sunbrella breathes ...that is what covers my boat. You are getting the run around...what excuse would they have if you did not mention about covering it?

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Hi harley:

The guy is sticking to it, that this is a reasonable explanation for what happened to cause the damage. He goes on to say:

"I can tell you I have been in my house for 7 years. I am on my second fridge, my second, washer and my second dishwasher. When I was a kid these appliances lasted 20+ years. ....some things haven't gotten any better."

I guess it was unreasonable for us to expect our new trailer to last more than 2 months without a serious leak (and a dozen other problems), even before it reached its model year.

We aren't appreciating getting the blame for this damage when we take the best possible care of everything we own, whether $20 or $25,000. They aren't trying to get out of fixing the leak, but they want it clearly understood that we caused the damage by covering the trailer, and the leaks had nothing to do with it. I've sent a note to Calmark.

Tags
bbb, inside wall, leak, water damage