Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
New Camper

water heater

hello I have a question just recently purchased a 2006/2007 model cross roads rv 30ft with the 10 gal water heater I see its propane physically on the water heater but looks electric as well based on what iv seen online but has the electric switch as well as propane switch in the panel board on the wall as you walk in the door on the right where your keys or coats would hang up I'm trying to get any info I can does this unit have a electric hot water heater or just propane? is it combo and does the ted thing in-between the two switches supposed to light up looks like a light but cant tell
travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you filled the system with water and checked to see if either one or both will work?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a picture of your panel. Mine has a gas and a propane switch.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Based on your description of the switch it should be 110 and gas but with a older camper someone may have changed it in the past. As Lloyd said fill it up and try it on the electric side to see if it heats the water. It may take a little while to heat it up. Then turn that side off run water till it comes out cool then try the gas side. The red light in the center if memory serves me correctly comes on if it fails to light on gas. Its been a while so that may not be correct but i will get out my paperwork and check it out. Guess we have been lucky that the original owners kept all the paperwork for the camper.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have a 2007 and your description matches what I have. You can run both systems or either. (Gas, electric or both at the same time). Once you switch the gas on, if the water tank is cold the system will try and light the flame three times and if it doesn't light, it will lock out the system and illuminate the red light on the switch. Turn the switch off and back on to reset the system. The electric side requires you to be connected to shore power. It will heat the water in about 30 - 45 minutes if all is working correctly. Hope this helps.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I sounds like the same one that I have, if you can gather the information of make and model of the take and look it up.
If not, yes you can run on either, Propane, electric or both but in all cases you need access to a minimum of a 30amp 220v circuit, but on 30 amp you will not be able to run your air conditioner with the electric hot water on. When I am able to get plugged into a 50 amp plug I can run air and electric/propane both on at the same time with air.
I all cases you must use the heavy cord that is a 50amp 4 tine plug, to plug into 30 you need the 50 to 30 adapter.
FYI I have found the Crossroads owner manuals to be generic meaning they are not model specific.
dkwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwheeler View Post
I sounds like the same one that I have, if you can gather the information of make and model of the take and look it up.
If not, yes you can run on either, Propane, electric or both but in all cases you need access to a minimum of a 30amp 220v circuit, but on 30 amp you will not be able to run your air conditioner with the electric hot water on. When I am able to get plugged into a 50 amp plug I can run air and electric/propane both on at the same time with air.
I all cases you must use the heavy cord that is a 50amp 4 tine plug, to plug into 30 you need the 50 to 30 adapter.
FYI I have found the Crossroads owner manuals to be generic meaning they are not model specific.
My Cruiser only has the 30 amp 120/110 volt service and it will run the air and water heater along with the microwave or the coffee pot but not both. When we arrive on a site the wife turns on the air and the water heater at the same time. We also leave our air fan on all the time - high during the day and low at night.

Hoping it was just a typo on the 220 volt service. At least thats what we have here in the states.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:25 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

30 amp vs 50 amp

yes the 30 amp plug is 110 volt, the 50 amp is 220 v
Old 02-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwheeler View Post
yes the 30 amp plug is 110 volt, the 50 amp is 220 v
The 50 amp is actually 2-110 volt separate lines that splits at the convertor which equal 2-50amp circuits running high amperage items on separate circuits. Probably not explained as well as an electrician could, but just know there are NO 220 volt circuits in a rv.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Make sure the tank is full of water before turning on the electric part of the heater or you will need to replace the element.
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
RC3
Weekend Camper

Yeah you are correct. It’s for if the auto igniter fails to light gas, light turns on. Usually after it tries to auto light 3 times.
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote