Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I've read that you're not support to dump the black tank until it's 2/3 full (I believe). In our old trailer, I never waited, just dumped after each trip regardless of how full the tank was.

We're planning a quick weekend trip to do a test run with our new ST. I know we won't come close to 2/3 full on the black tank in just a couple of days. I wish they had a switch to allow you to put the grey water in the black tank for short trips - fill alot faster for a short weekend trip.

My question is, if you don't dump, do you need to add any additional chemicals to the tank?

I use Thetford black tank treatment, as explained on the bottles (the blue stuff). We're planning to use the trailer again in 2 weeks on a week long trip. Temps here between now and then are likely no warmer than mid 70's.

thanks

mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

It's a solid to liquid ratio. I always dump when done camping. I have brought a hose into the toilet for rinsing once and awhile.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We always dump our black tank after every trip. We also carry a pail with us so that if the black tank is fairly empty we dump a few pails of clean water in the toilet to help with the draining. I once rode in my friends motor home who didn't dump his tank from the previous weekend, not good. LOL
Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I also dump after every camping trip. But I do make sure I add extra water to the black tank. So every time I walk though the bathroom I flush the toilet.

2007 F250 super duty
Big smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Don't wait! Had a different problem with my Blackwater tank on a different trailer not emptying completely - and not realizing it! I pulled up to the dump station several times, and it would empty out some, so I was fat, dumb and happy. The monitoring lights showed it about 1/2 full, but we all know how unreliable the lights are anyway. It was pretty hot this past summer, and whew! Went to use the trailer, and it was ripe - but thought that was just because it had set in the heat. Well, went on a trip, and the Black water tank filled up real fast - to the point we couldn't flush the toilet, fortunately on the last day.
Went to the dumpstation, and it didn't dump, even though it was full. So, if anyone has watched the Robin William's movie "RV", you know the situation. Had to unplug the blockage and my wife ran about 20 trips with a bucket of water to flush out all the waste.
I would suggest as "Big Smokey" said, add plenty of water, and flush the toilet often to add additional water. That was our biggest problem, we were trying to be too frugal adding water to the Black water tank, and the TP didn't dissolve completely, making the blockage.

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote