Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 05:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Winter Camping

Has anyone used their Sunset Trail with Extreme Weather Package for Winter Camping. The manufacturer told me the trailers are tested for zero degrees but not recommended for use under freezing.
RJBlasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBlasi View Post
Has anyone used their Sunset Trail with Extreme Weather Package for Winter Camping. The manufacturer told me the trailers are tested for zero degrees but not recommended for use under freezing.
"Extreme weather package" means there's a covering over the bottom of the RV with possibly a layer of the chrome bubble wrap above it, basically a catchy advertising gimmick along with "polar package", "artic", "4seasons", "half ton towable", "solar ready", "dry weight", & "max tow weight".
Your furnace has a small duct outlet pushing a small about of heat into that underbelly to aid in freeze prevention, so you can use it in cold temperatures even below freezing, but without other means of keeping lines & tanks warm.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
New Camper

It depends on the winter conditions you are talking about.
kamaveles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I've been in mine down to about 30 (maybe a little cooler at night).. It was ok, but did get a bit cool. The biggest problem is condensation. Single pane windows and thin walls (especially in the slide outa) are not very good for cold weather and water will condensate and drip which can cause damage.

You'll also burn a lot of propane.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaveles View Post
It depends on the winter conditions you are talking about.
Suppose you are planning to go to Alaska during winter. In that case, I recommend finding the proper model because this extreme sunset trail package seems like a good advertisement. Still, in reality, this trail will be vulnerable during rough weather conditions. Also, if you are planning a long winter trip, I suggest you get an extra generator and a few gallons of gas/fuel to ensure that you will be safe if you must stay at one place because of weather conditions.
kamaveles is offline   Reply With Quote