Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Winterizing my 253RB

I am winterizing my Sunset Trails 253 RB. I tried to turn the valves but no matter what I did I could not prevent the antifreeze from emptying into the hot water tank. I think I'm missing a valve. I made a diagram how the tank is plumbed. Tell me if I'm looking at this wrong.

Thanks

I should add that if I turned both of the valves off I could get the antifreeze to come out of the tap on the cold side but not the hot side.

Water heater bypass.jpg
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a pic. May help you.

This is summer position of valves. Turn valves for winterizing.

Notice the valves both are turned the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_123102_0_4c1da2b5b2b4f1d21be1ebff9800c5df.jpg (35.1 KB, 253 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hmmmm. I wonder if I have a bad check valve.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Handles "in line" lets fluid thru. Handles " across the line" does not let fluid thru.
So the one at the bottom stops the antifreeze from the water heater and the other lets it flow thru to the hot side of the faucets . If in that position you get antifreeze in the water heater then the check valve on the hot out side may be bad.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks, I'll have to stop by the storage lot and take another look at it. The water heater ended up filling up with antifreeze. I think I'll drain it . The lines are purged of water and it will probably be okay for now but I hate waiting until later to fix it.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Team

I had the same problem this fall. I ordered one from Amazon. (much as I hated to get it there)

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...s%2C728&sr=8-3
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I am confused as to how this system works with only 2 valves.
Every other bypass system I have operated had 3 valves, consisting of one valve to shut off the cold line, another to shut off the hot line, and then one for the bypass line to open when winterizing.
Are the newer tanks equipped with a check valve in the tank on the hot side that keeps the antifreeze from entering the tank?
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Yes there is a check valve in the hot out port. My camper has only 2 valves and it is a 2005 model.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

So, I never heard of anyone having any problems with the "old style" bypass system, in other words, a 3 valve system to shut off the lines.
Yet it appears people have problems with the Hot Line check valve. Hmmm.
My new rig has the check valve as well. Why? Give me a good reason.
I don't know about the rest of you, but if my hot-side check valve fails, I will put a quarter turn in-line valve in place of that finicky check valve just to avoid messing around with it again. Problem solved!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
I am confused as to how this system works with only 2 valves.
Every other bypass system I have operated had 3 valves, consisting of one valve to shut off the cold line, another to shut off the hot line, and then one for the bypass line to open when winterizing.
Are the newer tanks equipped with a check valve in the tank on the hot side that keeps the antifreeze from entering the tank?
My Zinger has only two valves. For winterization, I leave the top valve open. This line goes to the faucets. The bottom valve is closed. This is the line to the hot water tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hot water tank valves prior to dewinterization.jpg (31.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Keep your top valve open (vertical line) so you can antifreeze to the hot faucets.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

With a two valve system just close the valve at inlet to HWT and open bypass valve. There is a one way check valve in the HWT that does not allow water to enter via hot water line. Best way to check valve is remove HWT drain. Drain the tank close inlet valve and open bypass valve hook up to city water. Turn on water do not open any taps if one way check valve is no good you should be getting water coming out your drain hole. If nothing than you just do not have your valves set right. Remember close inlet valve open bypass valve Good Luck..
Bc, Canada
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronomyGuy View Post
Thanks, I'll have to stop by the storage lot and take another look at it. The water heater ended up filling up with antifreeze. I think I'll drain it . The lines are purged of water and it will probably be okay for now but I hate waiting until later to fix it.
Sounds like you have a bad check valve on the hot water out side of the system. They are notorious for failure.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I had the same the problem on my 2013 Zinger - only 2 valves with only a back check valve as the third. The backcheck valve is stuck in the open position. Unscrew the cap off the backcheck valve and give the valve a few gentle taps/pokes with a pen, that should unstick the valve. Other option of course is to install a 3rd valve (between the bypass line and hot water line backcheck valve).

IF you plan to try to replace the backcheck valve, be careful - it could be seized onto the tank - I abandoned that idea for fear of breaking off that valve and ending up with another whole set of problems.
keithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I finally winterized my 2020 212 RB today. When I got to the water heater, I was expecting to find a tank with a check valve in it, since in my PDI the seller explained there were only two valves on the tank.
To my surprise and pleasure, since I don't like dealing with the possibility of failure of a check valve, I found that the bypass is plumbed as shown in the picture, made possible by this system which uses a three way shut off valve.
It is still a quarter turn valve, but accomplishes what previously required three valves.
Nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201124_120700987_HDR.jpg (181.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Yup. I’ve got a 2021 212RB. That’s exactly how mine is plumbed.
We need to keep in touch!!!
Would love to share my contact info with you if you’re ok with that. I’ve got lots of info to share on my rig as well.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote