Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
New Camper

Angry Will never buy again

I bought a 2012 Cross Roads Camper from a dealer. I bought it in August of 2013 closed it in October 2013 Re-opened it in May 2014 and it was soaked. The seals leaked the master bedroom floor was soaked from the water coming in. I was upset to learn Cross Roads offers a 2 year warranty but only good for the first person who buys the camper. Cross Road did not offer any assistance in the repair of my camper. They offered nothing. If you have a two year old camper, you would think there would be no issues. I will never buy a Cross Roads Camper again. I did a lot of research before I bought a camper, found the Hampton 38 and it was great, WAS being the operative word If you have had similar experiences let me know. stay away, buyer beware
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sorry to say but no rv manufacturer transfers the warranty from first owner. The only transferable warranties are aftermarket warranties. Sadly, much of the ownership here falls on you as you should have been doing preventive maintenance such as checking caulking and looking for any sign of leaks. Not checking for that long a period of time would have actually voided your warranty even if you were the original owner. Also I hate to say it but I can tell you from personal experience these issues are not limited to crossroads. They are industry wide. I traded an excellent crossroads zinger for my current palomino sabre. It is only a couple of months old and going back to the factory with several major issues, none of which I would have known about if I didn't do routine inspections and maintenance on my unit. I wish you luck finding a good problem free unit that doesn't require routine maintenance and inspection.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Sorry to say but no rv manufacturer transfers the warranty from first owner. The only transferable warranties are aftermarket warranties. Sadly, much of the ownership here falls on you as you should have been doing preventive maintenance such as checking caulking and looking for any sign of leaks. Not checking for that long a period of time would have actually voided your warranty even if you were the original owner. Also I hate to say it but I can tell you from personal experience these issues are not limited to crossroads. They are industry wide. I traded an excellent crossroads zinger for my current palomino sabre. It is only a couple of months old and going back to the factory with several major issues, none of which I would have known about if I didn't do routine inspections and maintenance on my unit. I wish you luck finding a good problem free unit that doesn't require routine maintenance and inspection.
Well I should probibly also asume you read my post. I bought the camper from a dealer who went threw the whole camper alledgedly, they said good to go. Now as far as preventative maintenance goes, I winterized the camper and it was bone dry and checked the roof, seals and slide outs as the manual stated when I closed it. Not sure what else I could have done. I used it for technically for two months
Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Team

I believe your statement 'buyer beware' is very important. Anytime you buy a 1 or 2 year old camper you have to wonder why the original owner got rid of it. I believe in extended warranties that include water damage.
Your beef might be more with the dealer that said all's good.
Like anaro said, good luck with finding a brand of Rv that does not experience any issues. Don't think there is such an animal.
Good luck with your Rv and hope you get your issues resolved.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Old 10-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Did you do a pdi (delivery inspection)? Many dealerships say good to go and not the case. Both of my new good to go trailers had many many issues fixed during pdi before we even accepted possession and still more issues found later. We check on our unit during the winter. We go to the storage lot, go inside, check everything out. If able to, will climb on the roof and check the seals. We only close ours from Nov to Mar typically. I'm usually out to the storage lot approximately once a month to check on it. More frequently if I'm concerned about something ie a bad storm came through. It sucks and I feel your pain as the leak probably existed before purchase but you can't prove it. Now all you can do is find the leak, dry the camper out, and repair any damage.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
New Camper

Yes we did a site delivery inspection. My friend who works for a Rv dealer wad thete when delivered. He inspected it with me. The campground in the winter is closed and we can not get in to inspect. So it is hardd to be able to.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
New Camper

Well I see your point, but my only issue is that cross roads did not even offer to help with anything, even though the dealer sells cross roads. The camper was owned by a couple, the olny issuse the had was a window issue and a toilet issue, which were fixed. I guess when you buy something used and you pay a lot for it, you do take a gamble. I just think the customer service @ cross roads lack the compasionability to help.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Have you found the source of the leak? Was it the window that had an issue? It sounds like the leak is bad enough to see in a driving rain. You can sometimes use a hose sprayed on the trailer to see if you can find leaking. Are there any cracks in caulking on the roof, by the marker lights, around the vents, windows, skylights, a.c. etc? Look at all slide seals (top of slide as well). It is also possible that the cause was debris (ie a stick, leaves, acorn whatever) stuck under a slide seal allowing water in.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

May be an insurance issue. Have you considered an insurance claim?

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I check mine after every rain. Checked yesterday and noticed one little drop on skylight trim. Guess I will be up on roof this weekend.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sops27 View Post
Well I see your point, but my only issue is that cross roads did not even offer to help with anything, even though the dealer sells cross roads. The camper was owned by a couple, the olny issuse the had was a window issue and a toilet issue, which were fixed. I guess when you buy something used and you pay a lot for it, you do take a gamble. I just think the customer service @ cross roads lack the compasionability to help.

They have guidelines they have to follow if they value their job. None of the OEM RV warranties I know of are transferrable.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Lets face it, most RV's are poorly constructed. They have beautiful appointments inside and eye catching graphics on the outside, but they are not designed to last forever. From truck campers to 5th wheels they require maintenance, care and attention.....continuously! They flex when on the road, sunshine and temperature variations cause all caulking to seperate or crack. Water intrusion is very common and can cause delamination of outside surfaces, wet carpet, stained ceilings or wet stained plywood under beds and surfaces where cushions lay. The only camper I can think of that is pretty much bullet proof is an Airstream but they are so profanely expensive that I prefer to own one that requires a little care. Plus they are very plain looking and unattractive compared to todays offerings from ohter brands.

You may get by for a year or two on a new unit without much maintenance. After that I would suggest constant attention after each road trip. I personally have built a large shed for mine so it's constantly out of the sunlight and rain. Other units I have owned were covered with a tarp when not in use. When we return from a trip I wash it down, check each seam top to bottom for hairline cracks and reseal if necessary with 3M 5200 Marine caulk. I have found it to hold up better than anything available plus Lowe's now sells it in large caulk gun tubes for about $12 (that would be $25 at a boat dealer). You may not need a large tube like this after your first initial "re-sealing" at the two year mark. Small tubes are available for a little maintenance. It has poor shelf life after it's opened. My wife thoroughly cleans the inside and we inspect for anything loose, cracked or broken. If something is found it gets immediate attention. Needless to say when we sell our campers they return better than average value.

I've seen many folks store their campers with the slides out. Convenience I suppose but
it could allow water intrusion in a real hard blowing rain that you would not know about for days. Like a previous post stated, all RV's are about the same in warranty, construction and design. Few are bullet proof but these are high dollar top end units that are out of reach for most of us. If you own an RV, get used to the fact of constant maintenance. Also be aware of profane depreciation........a result of all of the
above!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Why would you post this here? This is a forum of private owners not in any way affiliated by Crossroads.

Your angry that your used trailer sprang a leak, fine but take it up with the dealer that sold it to you. I'm sure they offered you a warranty.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Team

I think we should let this one rest. The op hasn't been back on since the day he started this thread.
No need to stir it up again. We all understand it.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Oh Great Moderator in the Sky...send this thread on to greener pastures..

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
Closed Thread