Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Hello Fellow PP Campers;

Well after years of pulling 5ers, I had my first and second blow out in the same trip. My tires were towmax tires with good tread and less than 5K miles. I did get some damage from both blow outs and I had to change both of them on the side of the road I-95. (not my favorite thing). This was my first blowout ever, so I can say that it did scare me a little.

Last one broke my gas line to fridge and I will have to get this replaced. ONLY got a littlesiding damage,but I can fix this.

I got 3 Goodyear tires and 1 Firestone tire now. I feel better with new tires, but feel the old ones should have lasted much longer.

My PP is a 07.. Thoughts?

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Thank Crossroads. Our trailer came with the Mission China bombs and did not even make it 5k miles before two started to seperate. I checked them often and always ran them at 80psi. We were lucky that I caught them before we had major damage from a blowout running down the highway. I had ours replaced with BFG Commercial LT load range E and feel much better about pulling the trailer now. It does leave a bad taste in my mouth that we have a new trailer and it cost us another $750 to put new tires on it because the manufacture choose to go the cheapest route when having tires installed when it was built.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

My '04 came with the nylon or 10 plytire. 2 of them started wearing on the insides shortly after I started pulling the camper so I replaced them with Delta light truck tires that are load range E. These are a Cooper tire (i think) off brand and cost me $450 bucks for mounting and balancing. I feel much better about having these tires. They are wearing nicely and the trailer seems to ride alot more stable then before. We don't travel great distances but I do keep a close eye on them and always make sure they are at 80psi. The last thing I want to do is change a tire along the roadway and end up with damage to the trailer. I agree with Hunter, these manufactures should not cut corners when it comes to the tires. Alot can wrong when out on the road but when a tire goes out that is a real vacation breaker.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I have missions and got 4000 miles on them...I check them often they still look new with no signs of any problems....I hope i never have A problem.....Maybe I got a good batch of chinatires.....

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Don't count on it Rj, your trailer is the same year as ours and Keith's and you are right about the time mileage wise to start having an issue. Ours looked fine when we left for one of our trips and less than 500 miles later one was about to come apart. The second one that was about to come apart was found when the tires were being changed out for the new ones.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had towmasters as OE equipment, I kept them covered, and uses 303 on them, they cracked over the winter, I repalced all the St tires with LT, there was no way I was pulling with a cracked tires, I replaced all mine with Firestone Transforce 10ply, I also changed the size to 235/85R16 fit was good and no problems, the cost of the tires are well worth the peace of mind..when I called the distributor for some adjustment on the tires they did everything they could to not help, they were terrible to say the least so I just bought new ones, when I buy my next unit I am going to insist that the tires be replaced before I take delivery if more people refused to accept the junk tires they put on as OE the manufacture would soon change, as long as were willing to accept junk then that is what we will get.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Tire dealership in NC suggested that every 3-4 years to replace all the tires. He said many RV'ers he has, come in on a schedule 3 years no matter how many miles is on the tires. He said you cannot go on looks or mileage because like mine, they looked great. I put the Goodyears on 3 of them and asked about warranty and he said that even Goodyear does not give a warranty on RV tires. (I will have to confirm this myself with Goodyear). I put the same size tires and they max out 65 PSI.. not the normal 80 psi.

They pulled great going down the road and I have build my nerve back up that I'm not going to have ANOTHER blowout. Being my first two, I'm a little gun shy about them now.

I tired to follow the fridge gas line in hopes of changing it out myself, but as with most things, I have to cut into the underbelly which I don't want to do to replace. When the tire below itbroke the coupling where the flex line meets the hard line under the slide. It might have to go to the dealership to replace my "flexable" gas line to fridge.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote