Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2007 ford 3/4 ton 6.0diesel. Have had hellwig stablers installed on rear springs. looking at purchasing a 2007 paradise pointe 5th wheel 37 feet total weight of 14000 lbs. I know my truck is rated to tow a 5th wheel weight of 15500 lbs. looking for advise if this is duable.
Tbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Stand by, Hunter11 will be thru here in a bit and he has one, the trailer that is....
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Tow at 15500 is off rear end with a fifth wheel pin weight is the deciding factor. It is all about payload. Your truck with the healper springs will probably handle it but you may be over GVWR and that could be an issue with insurance if you ever had an incident Double check it.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Tbear, what type of Hellwig setup do you have? Big Wig Helper, Medium Helper, Load Pro, etc. (assuming its not just a sway bar setup). Any one of those will help the truck sit more level with the pin weight, but don't really change your capacity. They can mean that you may not need air bags to level the truck.

Your truck will pull the trailer no problem, but as already mentioned you need to make sure you are under your GVWR with the pin weight. This is most important for safety as well as insurance purposes. Check your factory sticker on your driver door post or door for your max GVWR. Weigh your truck with passengers and hitch and extras including a full tank if fuel. The max GVWR less this number is your maximum pin weight for the 5th wheel.

Hunter11 can give you a better idea what your pin weight is on average. It's likely going to be between 2,100 and 2,300 pounds.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We have a 36' Paradise Pointe in my sig below. I originally pulled ours with a 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW truck and would not have wanted to go below that. I pull it now with 1 ton dually which tows it much better than the SRW did but we do plan on upgrading to a much heavier unit after the first of the year so the reason I stepped up in truck. Your 3/4 ton will tow it and I think it will still be within what it is rated for. I think 14k loaded may be a little high on the weight of the trailer since I weighed ours when we first got it and it was right at 12k loaded. If I remember correctly the dry weight on our trailer was about 10,800 with a pin weight of 2k. I am guessing our pin weight loaded is in the 2500 lb range.</span>
Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote