Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

hi all, new here and new PP owner, just what is a 55 amp power converter and what does it do,also would like to put my 4000 watt gen in my truck bed to run one a/c going down the road really hot here in west texas,how would the best way be to hook it up?run a power cord under the trailer and over the tailgate (don't really want to do that) like to somehow put a plug on the fifth wheel aand run a short cord to the gen. maybe splice into the shore power and run new wire to the front? help,,thanks guys ronnie w 105 outside now WOW.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The power convetor is used to split the AC power to the coach and it also converts incoming power to 12VDC for use in the trailer and to charge the battery. The 55amp designation is for the charging capability of the convertor. In otherwords it charges in bulk mode at 55 amps to the battery. Hope that helps.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

thanks chrisnan,,thought that was it but not sure.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba

hi all, new here and new PP owner, just what is a 55 amp power converter and what does it do,also would like to put my 4000 watt gen in my truck bed to run one a/c going down the road really hot here in west texas,how would the best way be to hook it up?run a power cord under the trailer and over the tailgate (don't really want to do that) like to somehow put a plug on the fifth wheel aand run a short cord to the gen. maybe splice into the shore power and run new wire to the front?Â* help,,thanks guys ronnie w 105 outside now WOW.

If you splice into the shore power cord, you then should turn all other 115V breakers off except for the A/C to avoid unnecessary load on the generator (the most likely ones would be the converter, frig. and TV). The other option is to run a new power cord and a small 20 amp breaker box and connect that to the existing 20 amp A/C breaker in the main power panel (then turn off the factory A/C breaker to prevent backfeeding the other circuits). Mount a twist-lock 115V plug under the pin box near where the 12V umbilical cord is attached. You will probably have to drop the exterior siding on the underside the bedroom area to route the wire forward to just behind the pin box. Then use velcro straps to secure the power cord from the generator to the umbilical cord (assuming you are using a 7-pin plug inside the truck bed). That way both cords are running together from under the pin box to inside the truck bed. Make sure you have a generator that DOES NOT stick up above the top of the truck box.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

ours is a 36rd???rear den?know it is 38'6" tip to tip
Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

now I am thinking about mounting a small 2" receiver hitch to the bumper and build a carrier just big enough for the generator it weighs 108 with no fuel and holds 5 gals. you think the bumper is strong enough or need to brace it back into the frame.this way all I need to do is run a 6' cord to the shore plug
Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Ronnie, the trailer bumper would not be near strong enough to hold a carrier and generator bouncing around going down the road. I would have a 2" reciever hitch welded to the frame of the trailer to hold your carrier and generator. Reese Draw Tite makes one that is a universal hitch that can be adjusted to fit the trailer frame.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...ome_Hitch,5350
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

ok i went with the best advice,from the panel to a disconnect( for safety reasons)inside the front storage ,to the recept, then a short cord to the generator.this way when i unhook there is no way i can leave the gen cord connected "feedback" worksfine ran it about 6 hours today, everything is fine,cept the a/c can't cool too much as it is 106 here. thanks to all for the help ron w sweating in west texas
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

;t the generator all done, works great,now just one my Q, filled my fresh water tank to half,went inside turned on water pump and heard the pump running but no water, looked outside and water was pouring out of the city fresh water inlet,,bad check valve???sorry for all the Q's but stilllearning. thanks ron in really hot west texas.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Bad or no check valve. The valve is part of the city water inlet. It's on the back side of the connection.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

ok first trip with the generator setup worked good, now ready to go other places, does someone make a dump valve that goes on the dump outlet, my dump valves are leaking by a little.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

You looking for one of these?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/twist-on-valve/27868

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

thats it thanks