Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

OK... I have read on here where someone is running their heat inside the trailer while towing down the road. I know the heat is fueled by gas, but don't you need elec to run the fan?

Is the only option isrunning a generator while pulling down the road?

Thanks

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No The furnace will run off of the tow unit or the battery. We have done this several time when we left for the week end, and the unit was comfortable when we go to the camp site.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I know that several people run propane appliances while traveling, but in some cases it is illegal Â*Â*http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/rvs/operating-rvs-propane. Â*Of course lawyers like to point out the dangers of propane Â*Â*http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...xplosions.html. Â*If you insist on doing so please use common sense and make sure all propane appliances are shut off and valves closed BEFORE pulling in to fill up with fuel or BEFORE entering a tunnel.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have been doing this for a while now, it's the only way to keep the camper warm on the road. Whenwe snowbird my frist run is 10 hrs and when I stop I don't want to wait 8to10 hrs. to heat up the camper.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

i'm just curious why you need to run the heat while driving? maybe my trailer has its ducts run differently. my trailer heats up really quick. in 30-40 degree weather maybe within the hour its comfortable. i understand that with fifth wheel trailers you are dealing with high ceilings. maybe thats the difference. i wish my a/c (15k btu) would cool us down just as quick.

al,

i understand what your talking about. i work for a freind on saturdays driving a 10 wheeler and operating equiptment. he also has an asphalt hot box, wich is powered by propane. we have beenpulled overby law enforcement and questioned for driving with the burners on. newer hot boxes are diesel powered.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We only will do it when the temps are in the 30 degree mark, leaving on a Friday and seetting up int the dark. One of the bad things about becoming older is I can not take the cold like I used too. I will spot the unit plug in the electric, and put out the wheel chocks. go in get warm, come out and lower the landing gear disconnect the truck. go in get warm level the unit, attach the water line, get the grill out. go get warm, o yes there is an adult beverage involved in this also. Put out the slides tune the TV one more beverage light the grill. The next morning I will attach the slinky stinky

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

When I left home on the 5th of Feb it wasa 13 below got in Falling waters W.V. it was 18 above this alone is enough to run furnace on the road. I also use our camper for pitstops along the road and DW does not like a cold seat.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

i did'nt relise you guys were out in that cold of weather. i can now understand why you run the heat while driving.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote