Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
New Camper

New to Forum with 06 TF36DS

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Looking for information and possible wiring diagram. I'm trying to chase down a short in my 110v electrical system. I keep tripping a breaker thats labeled (Back). I've chased it from the GFCI by the kitchen sink through the light fixture to the receptical under the cabinet near the stove.

The wire from there goes up into the unknown. Refrigerator is isolated,

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Policeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately it does not exist. Do you have a slide? if so check under it on the outside for a junction box. Sometimes they will get water in them or the wires may have came loose. Just a thought but if it goes up check the microwave plug.

You say it trips the breaker does it also trip the GFIC? If you remove the wire from the GFIC does it still trip the breaker?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately it does not exist. Do you have a slide? if so check under it on the outside for a junction box. Sometimes they will get water in them or the wires may have came loose. Just a thought but if it goes up check the microwave plug.

You say it trips the breaker does it also trip the GFIC? If you remove the wire from the GFIC does it still trip the breaker?
Yes there are two slides. I will look for that today. The microwave is on a different circuit. The GFCI was removed. Breaker still trips. Thanks for the reply.
Policeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Policeboss,
Since it's a toy hauler and 5th wheel, I'd check your fuel station to ensure it's switched off. Then test to make sure it works. Also, your rear electric jacks would be next for me. Check your fuse in your rear Fantastic Fans if equipped. Are your loading lights inside, next to your back door off and working properly? Also the outside lights above the door? Lots of circuits to check first before opening junction boxes.
Edit. I now see you believe it's a 110v circuit. That would eliminate your fuel and jack and 12v lighting systems.
Check your ceiling fan, 110v light above your kitchen table, entertainment center, since the microwave has already been checked. Lots of 110v receptacles in the garage to check.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Also, the slides are 12v, not 110. You might check the two 35 amp fuses under your converter that might have blown if a direct short somewhere.
Get one of those yellow plug in circuit testers to verify each circuit with outlets work properly.
Can save lots of time to help pinpoint.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
New Camper

We own a Thor Industry built trailer and have had numerous structural issues with it, so much that it went back to the factory in Indiana for repairs. One thing we found was that they used wire nuts on their electrical system instead of junction boxes and they run wires through the aluminum exterior walls without grommets for insulation. They are aware of the potential for a short and fire hazard but they only fixed ours at our request. As an RV owner and for the safety of all RV families you must have yours checked out and file a complaint with Thor Industries, the National Safety Highway Transportation Board and the RVIA. According to the NSHTB and the RVIA, this practice is illegal and you must file a complaint with them if you have this issue. Check yours out!
BuenoWayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

same model,mine was gfi outlet by sink
Old 12-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. I would start by checking for bad gfi.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote