Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

A Bad start to the season

The In-laws were excited to go pick up their Camper yesterday morning at a storage facility in Gratz, Pa. Its an indoor storage they have been using for years, with relatively no issues (one year someone stole one of their propane tanks)
They get home, and are setting it up in the driveway today to give it the once over before the season, and realize that the awning they just had put on last year is completely missing. Rails, brackets, everything.
Apparently security is quite lax, or its an inside job. I would imagine it would take more than one person, and a little bit of time to remove everything.
They plan to call them tomorrow and see if they will do anything for them, but most likely it is an "at your own risk" deal.
I would guess they will not be getting anymore business from them, at the very least.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Wow! I swear I hate a thief. I know some people don’t have a choice, but I wouldn’t want to leave my unit at any store facility for that reason.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Update:
when leaving the house this morning to run an errand, The father in law spotted something in the grass on the side of the road at the intersection......It appears that it was not stolen by a human, but a telephone pole a block from home. Apparently he took the turn a little too tight. How he didn't feel/hear/see it, I cant understand. If hes anything like his daughter, he had the radio on full tilt with some blues music blasting.
Unfortunately, the majority of it is beyond repair (likely his ego is as well) They were fortunate not to have damaged anything on the camper itself.
I told him I was glad to hear that it wasn't stolen after all, even though it is a loss, at least faith in humanity lives another day.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Yikes!

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Accidents happen we just have to learn from them. Glad it was not theft.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Team

WOW
It's hard to believe he could be so lucky as to not have damaged that trailer.
You better go over there and inspect it for him.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:32 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
WOW
It's hard to believe he could be so lucky as to not have damaged that trailer.
You better go over there and inspect it for him.
Yeah, we thought the same thing. She asked me to "pop in" at their house today to do an inspection. Lol
Old 05-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Well, He was pretty lucky. Aside from the torn out lags on the upper brackets which left holes we need to repair, and a missing patio light lens, the only real loss was the awning, and the arms.
Hes picking up an awning thats 1' longer than his old one, so we will have fresh mounting locations for the new unit. We sourced a new awning assembly for $575.00, and will have a little work to do, but she'll be back as good as new in no time.
I looked at the pole he hit while making the turn into his place, and the base is almost right on the macadam, and the pole has a good lean over the roadway, so I can understand how it happened. Had the pole been plumb, he likely would have been ok.
He'll remember its there next time, I guarantee!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Insurance claim? Depending on the deductible and cost of the awning. If it's covered, I'd let an Rv tech do the install.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Ill let him make that call. I offered my services. Reasonably easy task, though, IMO.
I know his deductible is $500.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrizz View Post
the in-laws were excited to go pick up their camper yesterday morning at a storage facility in gratz, pa. Its an indoor storage they have been using for years, with relatively no issues (one year someone stole one of their propane tanks)
they get home, and are setting it up in the driveway today to give it the once over before the season, and realize that the awning they just had put on last year is completely missing. Rails, brackets, everything.
Apparently security is quite lax, or its an inside job. I would imagine it would take more than one person, and a little bit of time to remove everything.
They plan to call them tomorrow and see if they will do anything for them, but most likely it is an "at your own risk" deal.
I would guess they will not be getting anymore business from them, at the very least.
file a police report
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
file a police report
TerryH, go back and read post 3. It was a false alarm......
Another update: They called their insurance company to file a claim on it, The company (progressive northern, i believe it was) asked for the make and model of the awning (Carefree Colorado Fiesta) and they cut them a check for $1400 sight unseen, no estimates needed, AND let him off the hook for the deductible as well. The adjuster told him because hes been with them for so many years with no claims, his deductible would be forgiven!
I just ordered them a Dometic 8500 16' tonight for Just under $800, and we will be installing it ourselves when it arrives.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Good news!

Nice things do happen once in awhile.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
New Camper

apreciated
jacinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Insurance claim? Depending on the deductible and cost of the awning. If it's covered, I'd let an Rv tech do the install.
My insurence covered my awning I did have to pay the $500.00 deductuble but it was well worth it for a 20 foot awning and labor to replace everything.
The place in Duncannon,Pa Noaker's that did the work was awesome all they do is RV repair no RV sales.

Luckily there was no damage to the camper or the roof the base of the side extensions actually snapped off just above the base so the bases stayed bolted into the side of the camper.

I was out bear hunting and a freak wicked wind storm came in so and called my cousin that lives near camp to swing by and roll it up she called my back and said "I got some bad news your awning is up over the roof of the camper" I said come get me and bring help I just killed a 305 lb. Black Bear!!!

I'll never leave the awning open again if I'm not there...lesson learned
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak1957 View Post
My insurence covered my awning I did have to pay the $500.00 deductuble but it was well worth it for a 20 foot awning and labor to replace everything.
The place in Duncannon,Pa Noaker's that did the work was awesome all they do is RV repair no RV sales.

Luckily there was no damage to the camper or the roof the base of the side extensions actually snapped off just above the base so the bases stayed bolted into the side of the camper.

I was out bear hunting and a freak wicked wind storm came in so and called my cousin that lives near camp to swing by and roll it up she called my back and said "I got some bad news your awning is up over the roof of the camper" I said come get me and bring help I just killed a 305 lb. Black Bear!!!

I'll never leave the awning open again if I'm not there...lesson learned
I agree. I will always raise it if im leaving, even if its for a short period of time. I haven't heard of that place in duncannon. I'll have to check it out. Do they have a retail shop for parts and accessories, or strictly repairs?
Old 05-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Im pretty sure it's just RV repairs mostly body damage but check out there web sight I could be wrong,one thing that sold me on them was I tried to get my awning replaced from the place I bought my RV and they jerked me around for a month saying the couldn't get the awning so I called NationWide my insurance Co. and they actually work with Noaker's so I called them and told them I needed the entire awning and all the hardware replaced the guy said I'll call you back when we find the parts he called me back in 20 minutes and said everything is on it's way. It was the exact same awning that was on the camper. Also I could only take my camper there on a Saturday when they are closed but they said bring it and when you get close call and we will have the gate open got there and a guy was opening the gate.

/www.noakersautobody.com/rv-repair-awnings/
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote