Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Anyone rent out their camper?

To me the idea seems crazy, but there is a lady that my wife works with that rents out her camper through one of those rental places. Apparently, she told my wife that with their 24ft bumper pull camper, on average they make around $2,000 a month by renting it out to people.

I’m sure there are extra insurance fees, repairs, and other things that come out of your profit.

I don’t think I could ever be ok with strangers towing my camper behind their vehicle, which may or may not be rated to tow it, by someone who may or may not have ever towed anything before, and could care less about beating it up and damaging it. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Does anyone have personal experience it this? Is it as bad as it sounds? There are some many little things I have to do with my camper as far as towing it, setting it up, using the heater/fridge/stove/oven…..having someone with no experience just hook up to it at take off down the road would scare the hell out of me.
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Personally i would never rent my camper. Way to much liability. And seeing how some people treat the campers they own i can only imagine what it would like when i it got back. Also what happens when it disappears along with the renters.

There companies that rent campers let them deal with it not me.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Not a chance.
Short story, I rented my previous home to my daughter and her fiancee when I purchased my current home for a year, then to my ex-wife a year after that.
after a complete remodel, sold it to someone I know, who rented it out.
Flash forward 8 years, home is now condemned. Old terra cotta sewer line burst under kitchen crawlspace. Renter never notified owner (likely because the rest of the place was trashed) neighbors started complaining about the odor... borough sent people to investigate, caught the renter in the act of dumping a bucket of urine out the bathroom window. Crawlspace was 2' deep with sewage, and it was leaking into basement.
Breaks my heart to see it now. 8 short years. My friend (the owner) was cited pretty hefty for illegally renting (no yearly inspections, ect)
Since then, a few opportunities came along to purchase, remodel and rent with a few partners, I politely decline.
Like Dagst1 said, let the professionals handle that part of the market.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Not a chance!!

In our travels I have run in some who were renting the unit. Very expensive if I remember correctly.

One unit was and older couple with a class c. We ran into them in MT. near Glacier NP
They didn't know how to turn the fridge on. They had traveled clear across the U.S. using an ice chest, buying ice and loosing a lot food due to spoilage. He told me the dealer never explained it to them.
I got the fridge running on LP and showed them how to do it. Then switched it over to electric. You want to see two happy, grateful people, it was that elderly couple.

Second unit was in Grand Island NB. This was young couple with kids. They were headed back home to IL. and had everything under control. He told me they had decided to rent a unit to try it out and see if that was something the whole family could enjoy.
Sounded like a new RV was on their list.
Both of these people were renting (Road America?) I believe.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would never do it myself. These campers are a big investment and most people who rent being it a home , car, or camper, will not treat it as there own and just don’t care. The renter may not be experienced at towing or backing up a trailer into a tight site.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
Site Team

I would never rent mine either, but on the other hand, in 2019 when I went to Maine, my younger son rented a trailer in Connecticut and towed it to Boston and then to Maine. I know it was in just as good shape when he returned it as when he picked it up. However, I doubt that everyone would respect someone else's property as well as my son's family.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I'd never rent out our trailer but I know some guys who bought used (and some new) units just to rent out. I don't know how high their expenses are or what they average per month in income, but seem to have them rented most weekends, at least. Too much of a crapshoot for me. Even if it were just a rental I'd be too anal to let anything go.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote