Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Class A, B or C, or just shut up and camp

Hey everyone,

Considering selling the Hill Country HCT32RL and moving to a class A or B motorhome. I grew up in both TT's and motorhomes and kind of like the idea of being fully self contained. I know the con of not being able to go out and site-see once all connected up, but we don't do that much any more, we park, connect and pop a top.

What is the groups opinion on one vs. the other, and if this is a mistake, please do talk me out of it. Retired at end of 2020 and getting ready to do some cross country camping. Born and raised in Texas, but me and the girlfriend have kids in Idaho and Canada.

If you are pro MH, what are some brands to lean to or avoid ?

Thanks for your feedback,

Charlie in West Point.
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Team

My sister and brother in law have a class c. They do pull a small car. They winter in Alabama so a car is very necessary. It would be a lot easier to go get groceries or shopping or even the laundry matt. Also they have had to use the car when an unexpected break down on the road has occurred.

For me a car would be a must have with a motorhome.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Nobody can tell you what would be best for you. Only you can decide that.
We have owned 3 MH. They're nice, but they have their problems and limitations also.
It seems like what ever you have, there's always something that just might do something better for you.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

As Lloyd said, this is really a personal decision based on your lifestyle, needs and desires.
M/H are great because you can snack, nap & use the bathroom while traveling. But then you have to tow a touring vehicle. Plus there’s another engine/transmission to maintain. Plus they’re very expensive. Travel trailers are more economical but you need a good quality tow vehicle.
Ultimately you’ll have to decide what more important to you. Either way you’ll have fun!!

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

It's everyone's personal preference. My dh always wanted a motor home, but I like a 5th wheel. I like to be able to drop it and go with the truck. We also use our truck for other purposes. Another advantage for me is one truck serves multiple trailers. I have 3 5th wheels at the moment. One I camp with, a smaller one I took to NY on a seasonal site because I work there, and a 3rd on some weekend property we own.

I also think 5th wheels give you the most space and luxury for the dollar.

Whatever you decide works best for you, I am sure you will love it.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote