Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Closing on the new 5er and the upsale

****First a disclaimer, you should choose for yourself if extended warranties or other offers are best for you.****

The wife and I had our wet demo on our new Cruiser 5th wheel last Saturday. To the dealers credit, when we walked into the garage to have our demo, outside the entry door was a camp rug, chairs, a table and drinks. Looked like we were ready to spend the night. Found a few items to be addressed, nothing tremendous..

Then on to finance. Are y'all excited to get your new RV.........

Here comes the hard sale at signing for the extended warranty, roadside assistance, exterior sealant so I don't have to wax it.

The woman became more and more agitated each time I declined. After all the platinum package only added $60 to my payment. The best partWhat disappointed me the most about CW was the hard sale at signing for the extended warranty, roadside assistance, exterior sealant so I don't have to wax it. The woman became more and more agitated each time I declined. She came back with a coupon for $250 off that was good only today. Then I was given additional discounts because I had very little fabric inside. It became comical when she said buyers rarely turn it down. Among other benefits, this gave me the added benefit of having my RV hauled back home if I had a stroke while on vacation and needed to be med flighted home! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad, but the harder she pushed, the more I knew it was a cash cow.

After declining for the 3Rd or 4the time she left the room. She came back with a coupon for $250 off that was good only that day. I guses she dinto thint i cold read the expiration date on the bottom. Then I was given additional discounts good only that day. It became comical when she said buyers rarely turn it down and she was speerless but kept talking.

My wife is nervous now as the woman is telling us the thousands of dollars we may have to spend on repairs to our new RV. We haven't even had a drink in it yet and she has us hauling it back for repairs.

Finally my wife says, I wish you had given us this information last week so we had time to look the info over. I looked the woman dead in the eye and said to my wife, "darlin, if they did that she wouldn't have had the chance to try to scare us into spending extra money on these fine products that our warranty or insurance already covers". I've never seen anyone work so hard to remain composed.

Anyway, looking forward to getting our new Cruiser. I was impressed with the demo and PDI. I was annoyed by the push to buy extras and build them into my loan.
SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

good for you enjoy that new camper
Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I needed to share this story with people who can relate. If buyers feel that they need an extended warranty, they should buy it. What I didn't like was the hard sell. I might have spent the $1,295 on the foam sealer that is supposed to eliminate oxidation and the need to wax for at least 2 years if I had time to research it more. Twenty years ago my wife and I probably would have been scared into buying the package. I'm fortunate that I've been around RV's for 40 years and know a few things about repairing them.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, upsale