Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Cruiser in Yellowstone National Park

Saw a nice Cruiser roll through Canyon Village just yesterday. Lloyd is that you? Norske?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Wasn't me Dave. I wish it had been tho.
We won't be out there this year. I'm thinking maybe next year we might make a trip out to WA. If we do Yellowstone and Glazier will be must stops. If you are there again, I will look you up for sure.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, let me know your rough route when coming to WA. I can help steer you to some places in the area. Would love to get together if it works out.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Lloyd, let me know your rough route when coming to WA. I can help steer you to some places in the area. Would love to get together if it works out.
Will do Stan.
It's a long ways off yet.
We have a Grandson graduating out that way next year.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

YNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Wasn't me Dave. I wish it had been tho.
We won't be out there this year. I'm thinking maybe next year we might make a trip out to WA. If we do Yellowstone and Glazier will be must stops. If you are there again, I will look you up for sure.
Lloyd, Hope we both make it next year! With all of the tourists arriving this year our WIFI access is GONE from 6:00am through 11:00pm. So, getting onto this site while we are awake is hard to do.
We still walk to and from work even after meeting up with a Grizzly Bear a few weeks back. DW is no longer in the lead. Go figure!
We cross the main road twice while walking and so far we have picked up Lug Nuts and Roller Bearings off of the pavement. There are some folks out there heading for real problems down the trail.
Hope all is well in WI
Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Team

[QUOTE=Kamper Dave;100264
We still walk to and from work even after meeting up with a Grizzly Bear a few weeks back. DW is no longer in the lead. Go figure!
We cross the main road twice while walking and so far we have picked up Lug Nuts and Roller Bearings off of the pavement. There are some folks out there heading for real problems down the trail.
Hope all is well in WI[/QUOTE]

Dave, we seen on the news that there was a grizzly attack out there in the park.
You and the wife are safe and sound I hope.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

We are fine.

Quote:
Dave, we seen on the news that there was a grizzly attack out there in the park.
You and the wife are safe and sound I hope.
Lloyd, Thanks for asking.
All is well here in Canyon Village. Unfortunately a worker from the Lake area was killed and consumed by a Grizzly (possibly with a cub). He was found off trail but may have been dragged there. Bear DNA will be collected and live traps will be set until this Griz is caught. This doesn't happen often. We were informed this spring that the way bears are counted has changed; so now we are up from 600 to 1100 Grizzlies in the greater Yellowstone eco-system. They are everywhere, but possibly thicker in areas with fewer human intrusions such as just SE of the park.

Friday while we were gone our neighbor spotted a Grizzly in camp just 40 yards from our site. When the Grizzly didn't move on the Rangers were called in to haze him elsewhere. I am not on my Sunday morning bush-whacking hike out to Cascade Creek and we are on high alert for a few days.

Kamper Dave
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Internet is saying they caught the bear. Typical news story. They should have said they caught a bear. No DNA test yet and waiting to check scat for human remains. Be careful out there Dave.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Internet is saying they caught the bear. Typical news story. They should have said they caught a bear. No DNA test yet and waiting to check scat for human remains. Be careful out there Dave.
Thanks Tim. We have been and will continue to be cautious.
There is plenty of grizzly bear activity in this area. I’ve found plenty of scat within a half mile of camp. Grizzly Bears have devoured several elk within a mile of camp and last Friday the Rangers needed to haze a grizzly from camp that had been 30 yards from our RV. 3 weeks ago DW and I while walking home from the evening shift encountered a grizzly just off the trail by about 50 feet. This was way too close for comfort but this grizzly bear showed no interest in us and thankfully continued his travels as if we didn’t exist. I suspect that he had heard us approaching and just wanted to be away from humans.
My bush-whacking activities are on hold although I have never encountered a grizzly while alone in the wild. I do ALWAYS carry bear spray and often have it in hand when approaching a blind curve or hilltop.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Dave, Out of curiosity are you not allowed to carry guns in the park? I know that you can carry concealed in most parks even if not in the government buildings. I think I would want a little more than pepper spray if necessary.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Site Team

I might be wrong, but I don't think staff are allowed to carry a weapon.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Cruiser in. Yellowstone Nat park

Under the stress of "bumping" a griz or black bear unexpectedly bear spray has been proven to be more effective than a rifle or pistol. Read some of the stories of hunters being mauled. It is a lot easier to pull a can of spray and effectively hit & stop a bear. It is highly effective at stopping him in his tracks vs trying to get off a killing shot. I may carry a firearm but will use my spray first.
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #13
Site Team

According to their webpage it states the following:

Quote:
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.
and

Quote:
Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by loogie17 View Post
Under the stress of "bumping" a griz or black bear unexpectedly bear spray has been proven to be more effective than a rifle or pistol. Read some of the stories of hunters being mauled. It is a lot easier to pull a can of spray and effectively hit & stop a bear. It is highly effective at stopping him in his tracks vs trying to get off a killing shot. I may carry a firearm but will use my spray first.
Not saying you should not carry spray, but if I am getting chewed on he is going to get lead poisoning.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Bears

I bush-whack plenty and thought of this often. As I see this, many grizzly bear charges are bluff charges. So, I don't want to enrage a charging bear unless he reaches the bear spray cloud at 30', then he can have the remainder of the spray. Besides things are going to happen darn fast and there will be little time for decisions.
A cloud of bear spray has a better chance of having the desired affect than an attempt to hit a bouncing 3" target beneath the chin of an oncoming grizzly.
Most of the grizzlies encountered on the trail at a distance are willing to move on. It will probably be the surprise encounter that goes bad or as has happened in the past the human harasses the bear until it does what bears do in their environment.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

armed

Quote:
I might be wrong, but I don't think staff are allowed to carry a weapon.
Here
Law Enforcement Rangers are armed.
Bear Management Rangers are heavily armed.

I've taken the bear spray manufacturers demo course where they release a life size plastic bear on a rail charging at you. Things happen fast. You need to practice draw and think about your training.
DW and I encountered a grizzly last month while walking home from evening shift. He popped out 50' away and there was no time to react. Fortunately he was in a hurry to go elsewhere. DW now walks behind me with spray in hand; I'll probably end up getting my posterior sprayed and the bear will be laughing at me.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I agree Dave, a bear can cover 30 yrs in approx 5 secs & hitting that small sweet spot is very hard to do in that short a time.
Fyi I carry the bear spray & DW carrys a .25 auto, not effective on bear but very effective on my knees allowing her enough time to escape!!!!! Lol
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by loogie17 View Post
I agree Dave, a bear can cover 30 yrs in approx 5 secs & hitting that small sweet spot is very hard to do in that short a time.
Fyi I carry the bear spray & DW carrys a .25 auto, not effective on bear but very effective on my knees allowing her enough time to escape!!!!! Lol
Our DW's think alike!!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

You are kidding yourself with anything less than 40 cal. 44 or 45 would be preferred. Not going to argue with the pepper spray fans. Just like you need to be ready with the spray it is the same with a pistol. If you are downwind from the bear which you more than likely are if you just walk up on one, you more than likely will get more spray on you than the bear. Then if hungry for something spicy, well...you just put the seasoning on!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

It's also wise to know the differences in black bear and grizzly scat!
Black bear has berries and nuts in it and smells like crap.
Grizzly bear has little bells and smells like pepper!
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote