Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Dealing with neighbors at campground

So, I was just wondering if/when this happened to others here, how you dealt with similar situations....
Were at a campground near Lancaster, Pa, pulled in friday afternoon. I spoke briefly with my neighbor when he came out of his rv, and it was a friendly chat, he seemed like a nice guy. He mentions that they are heading back to California after the weekend, before the snow flies..
He went back inside, and we did not see him again all day friday.
It was a chilly evening, so we lit our campfire around 7pm, and had a few drinks, listening to the radio (at the usual low volume).
I'm early to bed/early to rise kind of guy, so we doused our fire at 10pm, and I always be sure to do it 100%, no smoke or even steam before i retire.
5am saturday, I get up, and run to a local spot for a morning coffee (I parked in a nearby parking lot, so as to not wake any campers with my loud exhaust and my early morning schedule, as always) I return at 530 or so and light another fire (its 45 degrees out).
We are eating breakfast around 8 when he appears around the RV, and I say good morning, to which he replies "Not really.. you were blowing smoke into our RV all night and all morning" I apologize (although I don't understand why) and say "I wish you would have said something, I would have put it out" to which he replies "doesn't matter now, were leaving" And promptly packs up shop, and rolls out.
I'm left feeling like I ruined his experience on one hand, but on the other hand, I'm thinking maybe hes just "one of those people", and ce la vie.
I will add that our sites are what I would consider large, with our fire ring being 15' or so from his RV.
Anyone had similar experiences they would care to share?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately from time to time you are going to run into "That Guy". I do not know about others but we always have a fire - its just a part of camping. And you cant control where the smoke goes. We have had neighbors come over and share our campfire and have had some ask us to put it out because we are" destroying the environment". I said i am as i added more wood to it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We were camping at the beach one time. It was dark outside and a young couple arrived to set up camp. Note: Hardly any street lights around, so it was really dark. Thought I would be neighborly so I turned on our scare lights giving them lights to set up. After they had set up; around 8:30 we were sitting inside watching tv when we heard a knock at the door. I opened the door to find the young couple standing there. They said: “Will you turn off that bright light, it’s disturbing us”. Wow, I simply said “OK” and shut the door. Had that happened with my more years of experience, I think the conversation would’ve went differently.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

As said there will always be those folks in campgrounds, from my experience more so at state/national parks when all the weekend warriors arrive.
Once we went full-time our RVs were too big for those parks & honestly didn't miss those type of experiences. Can't remember the last private park that allowed wood burning fires, only LP fires pits, honestly don't miss all the smoke either.
All that said I would much rather have the smoke to deal with than a constantly barking dog. I have knocked on several RV doors & ask them to shut their dogs up.
One other annoyance that all can prevent is if your vehicles honk the horn every time you lock/unlock it, TURN IT OFF! If you have to have the horn to know it's locked turn it back on after you've left the campground.
We parked next to a young couple with barking dogs & they came/went at all hours day/night locking/unlocking their truck & between their dogs non stop barking inside/outside & their damn horn honking a hundred times a day I asked them to stop both to which I got a VERY nasty reply, so I reported them to the office. They responded to the park personnel with the same nasty remark after which they came back with the park owner, those folks were hooked up & gone in about a hour with one finger waves to everyone as they drove by.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Old 10-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
RC3
Weekend Camper

I was camping in Kruger National Park in South Africa in a motor home and the people next door complained to us said they didn’t travel over 800 miles to hear our a/c. My response was I didn’t travel over 8000 miles to melt in the RV. Those kind of people are every where.
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
New Camper

What does he expect in a CAMPGROUND???? Hello!!! There will be campfire smoke. Did he have his windows open? If my windows are closed I don't smell campfire smoke. I would have told him that my fire was extinguished at 10 PM so if he smelled smoke all night it must have been someone else's fire. You did nothing to apologize for.
Cindyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I doubt he had the windows open.. It was 50 degrees that evening, and even cooler in the am, but who knows......