Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
New Camper

Good Sam Club...

I tried searching the forum and came up with nothing. I was wondering if any of you use Good Sam Club? If so have you found it to be beneficial? Used the road side assistance? Is there something better offered out there that I may not be aware of?

Thanks.

2005 Cruiser by Crossroads 28.5'
Luvs2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Re roadside assistance: We were not satisfied with their lack of assistance when we broke down in Ohio. They extended our membership six months for that. We had to solve our issues ourselves.

When we had a flat tire in Alaska my husband changed it himself, but we called them to find out where to buy a new tire. We did not wish to travel without a spare. They were helpful in that.

Our daughter needed a flat changed on a Sunday evening in Toronto and it took a while but they eventually sent someone. She would have changed it herself but did not have a tool to take the spare off the trailer.

That is all the experience we have had. We will likely renew.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
New Camper

I bought it with pretty low expectations. We do not have the roadside just the club membership. If you stay very many nights a year it is worth it for the savings plus the Camping World discount and fuel discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Happy with it

Went on a trip from NH to the Outer Banks last year. Had 3 tire issues, 1 tire broke all the lugs on the hub and detached the unit, and 2 blown tires. They had someone out to repair the lug problem (They just got the repairman to the trailer and home) and changed both tires on our 5th wheel. I had been given the roadside service when I bought the trailer. I just renewed it this month.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I've renewed the last 2 years at Camping world of Valdosta on our way to Florida. They gave me the night in their campground for free both times since I renewed, so it paid for itself immediately both times.

Along with some money off on merchandise at camping world I feel like it's worth the basic membership.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We purchased a fiver from Camper World and with the purchase they included a 3 yr Elite Membership along with roadside assist. While we haven't had to use the roadside while using the RV i have needed it while in a different vehicle for a jump start. Everything went well and will likely renew.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

This thread indicates some confusion with the three types of Good Sam membership. First is just that, a membership, that costs an annual fee, and gets you discounts at CW and at the pump. That's what gives you access to the trip planner on line. That's "the club." A sub-division of this club is the Elite, which provides concierge service. That comes when you buy a new vehicle from CW.
Second is Roadside Assist. That's another card to carry, another annual fee, and provides towing, breakdown, fuel, and whatever you need when broken down on a trip. We used it once when I ran out of gas. (faulty fuel gauge) We were in the middle of nowhere, GA, and they came within 40 min's. That was our "test," and the day we dropped AAA.
Third is Travel Assist. This is yet another card to carry, and has it's own annual fee. It provides other assists, such as a way home when one of two travelers is disabled. Lots of odds/ends that roadside assist doesn't cover.
Three cards, three fees, three different purposes. All called Good Sam.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

We've had it for lots of years & use it mainly for 10% off park stays, it can't be used generally if staying a week or a month, but if you travel a lot it will save you the price of the membership.
As far as the Camping World stores, you can usually find the same product on for A LOT less on line or at other rv supply stores.
And fuel, its good at FlyingJ/Pilot which if you're using diesel are the most expensive prices on the road so a couple cents off will still cost you 20-30 cents more, not much savings there.
Don't have any experience with road side assistance or the Elite coverage.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As far as the Camping World stores, you can usually find the same product on for A LOT less on line or at other rv supply stores.
Yep. Camping World is for when your back is against the wall and you don't have time to wait for Amazon Prime shipping.

On the other hand, I highly recommend their camp chairs. They are comfortable and warm. They are prone to break though, so buy the replacement insurance when they offer it to you.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Marginal at Best

I signed up for it about fours ago thinking that the fuel savings would be great. I never had such problems trying to use the card. No one at Flying J or Pilot knew anything about the card. This was at four or five stations. Maybe that was because I was buying gas, not diesel.

The savings at some campgrounds are a bonus, not everyone gives the discount. Some don't even take your card or call for verification. I agree with dedmisten in that CW is when you have your back against the wall, otherwise Amazon is far cheaper. I have found cheaper prices at Menards than either CW or Amazon.

In RVing, I think that is what is called, they hit the nail on the head. GS is nothing more than a marketing tool for CW. A lot of baggage comes with it, needless emails, crap in the mail, etc. you can find better insurance elsewhere. I have Liberty Mutual for mt cars, home and TT. Their rate was less than $50 per year. I had a significant claim last year and it was paid without question. I'll see what the renewal us.
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
I've have both the club membership and the roadside assistance for over 10 years. I have had to use the roadside assistance a couple of times. I also have the GS credit card and get points for every dollar I spend, so I use that to pay for the membership fees. I will agree they are not the fastest at showing up at times and you have to keep after them when you need assistance. I had my transmission go while on vacation a few years back. It took 2 calls and when they finally showed up 6 hours later, they had to tow both the truck and trailer 65 miles to the nearest dealer to get the transmission replaced. The nearest tow truck they could get was over an hour away from where we broke down. That tow alone was over 1500.00. So I figure I got my money's worth for a while. I have heard that some of the other roadside assistance clubs out there also have had their issues. I know that AAA will not even come if you have a trailer attached or change a tire on your trailer.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rodder2 View Post
I know that AAA will not even come if you have a trailer attached or change a tire on your trailer.
They'll come out, just don't mention the trailer. I had a guy change a flat for me. I mostly stayed inside the truck while my wife and daughter chatted with him. But he made us promise to upgrade our AAA service, which I promptly did when we got home.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rodder2 View Post
I know that AAA will not even come if you have a trailer attached or change a tire on your trailer.
AAA Plus RV and AAA Premier RV memberships will change RV and trailer tires and will also tow your tow vehicle and trailer if needed. I have used it without any issues and am very pleased with it.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I am a life member of Good Sam Club...I also have the Roadside Assistance, and my 5er is insured with National General through Good Sam Club...

I have used the Roadside once and was very pleased with the service I received...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

We will keep renewing in the Good Sam Club for the camp ground discounts and the use of the trip planner on their website.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
AAA Plus RV and AAA Premier RV memberships will change RV and trailer tires and will also tow your tow vehicle and trailer if needed. I have used it without any issues and am very pleased with it.
This service from AAA is not available in New England.

GS is good everywhere, AAA is not.

Those insured by USAA has roadside.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote