Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Picked up our trailer from storage today and took it to our new (to us/first ever) season lease site. All goes well, pull up to back the trailer on site ... and had one of those episodes where nothing worked right. Normally I back either right in where I want or close enough for some minor fine tuning. Gee, I backed right up and hitched the trailer up without missing a beat. This site is average difficulty with an assortment of trees to thread through. Not a difficult site but one that requires some precision turns and good maneuvering skills.

First attempt, not far enough forward. Next attempt, my left mirror hits a tree that I didn't realize was there. Third attempt, drive around the campground to reposition the trailer, and this time nearly back the trailer over the railroad tie separating our site from the next one. Pull forward, back up again and now I nearly take out the city water. Back up again and I'm pretty much in the center of the site. OK, try again. Closer and I can finally get the truck clear of the tree the left mirror hit. Well, you get the idea . Three more attempts to get the trailer positioned just right.This would have been great entertainment if someone had been there to watch.

I'm taking this as an omen that our traveling days should end.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I wouldn't want to go that far but you may have to start looking for pullthroughs.lol
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The first trip out of the year can always be a bit challenging
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Al:
I don't think you should figure your traveling days should stop. I think that is an omen that you should being traveling----MORE!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks for making me look good. I am finally at the point where I can back up straight and even get into a tight spot. It is making turns that challenges me. The scrapes on the side of our Cruiser at testament to that fact.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Don't feel too bad...the second time I tried to hook up in my driveway, forgot to open the hitch lock.

You guessed it ....drove the 5erback into the house eave. Now, my ladder has a purple heart.

See, even we "experts" have an "awe s**t" day
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I'm sure I speak for just about everyone here when I say, "been there, , done that," more than once!
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote