Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello Mark

Hello Mark
Just was surfing and saw you have a half ton pulling a 5th wheel.
I ha
Be a 2016 F150 with the eco boost 3.5 and I have the active suspension road masters as well. I am wanting to move from my 2016 27bh sunset trail to a 30’ 5th wheel Artic Wolf 305 weights 8800 just was curious as to what your hitch weight is?
Max-N-Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi. Just looked up the specs on a Artic Wolf 305. The 8800# is empty. The gvw is 10920#. By the time you load it best guess it would be close to 10000# - just a guess based on what the wife and carry. The hitch weight is 1452# empty. Seems a little heavy for a half ton truck. My camper has a listed pin weight of 1700# empty but loaded it is well over 2000# and it puts my 2500HD on the overloads. Also the listed length of it is 35 ft. Just some info but if it were me I would use a 3/4 ton truck. But that's just my opinion yours may very!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Site Team

I have no problem pulling my Cruiser Patriot. I have the heavy duty payload, Roadmaster suspension, and slotted and drilled rotors with semi metallic brake pads.

I've been towing with this for 4 years now and have not run into any problem. In fact, just had the brakes inspected on TV and RV and it has shown minimal, normal wear.

The Cruiser is around 9700 empty and the truck is rated for I believe 11300. We do not carry a lot of extra weight besides some chairs, food and clothing. And the usual tools necessary for an rv.

So, as it goes, "It works for me".

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Mark your set up works for you just not my cup of tea. But that's why they sell more than kind of tea.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Yea, I don't defend my choice anymore.

Waste of time and argument.
Whatever anyone prefers, that's their choice.

Besides, I like coffee.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 07-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Team

I like coffee also. See we can agree on something!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Curious if you found a fifth wheel to match your truck, which is very close to what I have. Having worked with the RV safety institute to keep within the "safe" boundaries, there are very few 5'ers that work with our truck, including the couple listed in this thread. In fact, most 3/4 ton trucks don't work with the pin weight either except for only the smallest of trailers. Usually with only one slide out, for instance. It isn't about tow capacity but payload, that is why 60% of all fifth wheels on the road are "unsafe".
I am also interested in how you like the ride of your truck with the roadmasters when NOT towing. Maybe a separate thread question.
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Site Team

I know your post wasn't directed at me, but, I will add this.

Brian, we don't know what you have for a truck or an RV, you haven't placed that info in your signature, so it's kind of hard for us to respond back with any kind of pertinent info.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Although I have that listed in my profile I guess I need to fix my signature.
2017 F-150
super crew
3.5 Ecoboost
Max Tow
32rl Sunset Trail
Old 10-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Thank you! I wish everyone was that responsive.Seeing you have the 2017, I don't remember if they offered max tow and heavy duty payload both along with 10 ply tires.

I have the same truck Mark has with all three of those options.
I have been looking at a new rig, and a little bigger which my truck can handle, but just about everything I look at is over 12ft tall, and that won't work for me.
There are bigger fivers out there that our trucks will handle tho.
I don't have or need the roadmasters for our present rig, but if I go bigger I will more then likely add them.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
Site Team

As far as the Roadmaster, it's an active suspension. Only comes into play when there is a load on the truck or when there is axle wrap. You can't tell it's on there when I'm not towing. Smooth ride.

Here's some info on it.

https://activesuspension.com/

By the way, the payload capacity of my truck is around 2400 lbs. as delivered from factory.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Thank you! I wish everyone was that responsive.Seeing you have the 2017, I don't remember if they offered max tow and heavy duty payload both along with 10 ply tires.

I have the same truck Mark has with all three of those options.
I have been looking at a new rig, and a little bigger which my truck can handle, but just about everything I look at is over 12ft tall, and that won't work for me.
There are bigger fivers out there that our trucks will handle tho.
I don't have or need the roadmasters for our present rig, but if I go bigger I will more then likely add them.
I wish I had the max payload, even without it my truck exceeds many of the payloads I saw on door tags of 3/4 trucks. But I had to buy used and too many of them had too much equipment that brought down the numbers.