Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

For those who haven't read about the poor guy who's pinbox broke here's the link http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24313262.cfm

I hope this is ok with the moderators. I wasn't really sure what section I should post this in as it relates to a few different topics.

After reading this guys story I like many others out there rushed out and checked my pinbox welds. What am I really looking for? Without a proper magniflux of the welds how can we all be 100% sure. The RV world seems to me to be a crap shoot. You pays your money and takes your chances. I mean how do you really know whats going to happen next. We have all heard about the china bomb tires. I'm constantly looking in the mirror at the tiresexpecting the worst to happen, nowI have toworry about ever creek and groan I hear. We'll all up end with ulcers worrying about the "what if?" I say, "let'r buck!" we all pay expensive insurance premiums, god forbid anything bad should happen to anyone of us while travellingbut life is really too short to sweat the small things.

I don't really believe there is one manufacture that's any better than the rest.Many of you read my post "rv blues" which really sums it up nicly I think.

So, I'm now in the process of looking for a 4 leaf clover to go with my rabbits foot thatI'll rub evertime I hook up to my rv. Anyone know of where they are available?Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We plan on selling our trailer in the Spring and buying the trailer we will retire with. We had 5 different manufactures on our "top 5 list" two of which use Lippert frames. After reading the post and seeing the pictures those two have pretty much been eliminated. No more Lippert frames for us. We want something we don't have to worry about driving down the road. Lippert has been building crap like this for several years now and we as consumers continue to buy it. Same thing with cheap China tires. We have decided we would rather spend more money and get something built to last then invest in anything on a Lippert frame. Can you imagine what would have happened if that pin had collapsed driving down the road at 60 to 65 mph?

We had to spend $750 for new tires on a trailer less than 6 months old because the china bomb Missions had started to seperate. We were lucky because it happened right as we pulled up to the house. You cannot tell me it would cost Crossroads or any other manufacture more than $50 to $100 a tire to have good tires install from the factory. How many people would spend that much extra on a trailer to have the peace of mind pulling your trailer down the highway? Until we stop buying crap they are going to continue to sell it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

There are some washboard roads on I-5 in Seattle and towards Tacoma that whenever we are on them I can see the 5'er bounce. I slow down but it doesn't help much. It definitely bothers me.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I wonder if he damaged the pin box welds when he dropped the trailer onto the tailgate of his truck? That happened only last month.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24192351.cfm

Sin City

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins

2005 Cruiser 29RK
Vots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I agree with Hunter, I did the same as he did and had to replace all the tires, as far as the frame issues I never looked at mine, and I don't worry about it, if it breaks and the trailer falls, it's well insured...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I'am as confident with my fifth wheel as i'am with anything,I think about what can go wrong,But as soon as we pack up & hit the road i don't think about it at all,We are having too much fun & thats the way i think it should be.Try not to worry about things out of my control.Happy camping
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I'm with you campsurveyor. I'm cautious and do all the checks before I pull out but once I'm rolling life is good and I'm a happy camper

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

As long as humans build things the things will break. What is perfect? I agree that we bought these Crossroads RVs to have F-U-N so why worry? Inspect your RV before and after each trip to be certain there are no things you can see.

I wonder whatthe failure rate of Chinese made ST tires is when compared to all tires as a whole?Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Site Team

There has been some very interesting reading about this guys misfortune. I see the last post the moderator shut it down.
I don't usually follow rvnet very much. I for one would appreciate it if those of you who do, would post here when there is resolution on this issue and let the rest of us know. I would like to follow up on this one some more.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

« Prayer | Weekend »