Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #1
Gone Traveling

Induction Cooking for Camping?

Hi Everyone!

We have just bored with living at home in this quarantine. That's why we are planning an off-road trip next month with kids. Yes, we have disinfected our RV, and hopefully, lockdown would also be lifted. However, I need your suggestions about the use of right camping cookware and stoves. We have a gas cooking stove and grill, but according to my husband, we should take a portable induction stove with us.

Though induction stove could be a great idea and we can make our favourite dishes with great ease and can also avoid the mess of cleaning, but its price is too high. Do you think we should consider an induction stove? According to my husband, it would be a long-run investment that's why we don't care a lot about the pricing. But, before making any decision, I want to know your experiences. How long induction stoves work without any error or fault?

Secondly, I read many articles like this ( https://cookwareinsider.com/induction-cookware/ ) which refers to specific induction cookware to use for induction stoves. Do you think it is necessary or we can use our stainless steel pans and pots? Most of our camping cookware doesn't have a nonstick coating. Do you think is it OK? I read magnetic cookware works effectively on induction cooktops. Is it right?

On the other hand, you can also suggest alternatives to induction cooking, but they should be fast and work for the long-term.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedios_Sharrock View Post
Hi Everyone!

We have just bored with living at home in this quarantine. That's why we are planning an off-road trip next month with kids. Yes, we have disinfected our RV, and hopefully, lockdown would also be lifted. However, I need your suggestions about the use of right camping cookware and stoves. We have a gas cooking stove and grill, but according to my husband, we should take a portable induction stove with us.

Though induction stove could be a great idea and we can make our favourite dishes with great ease and can also avoid the mess of cleaning, but its price is too high. Do you think we should consider an induction stove? According to my husband, it would be a long-run investment that's why we don't care a lot about the pricing. But, before making any decision, I want to know your experiences. How long induction stoves work without any error or fault?

Secondly, I read many articles like this ( https://cookwareinsider.com/induction-cookware/ ) which refers to specific induction cookware to use for induction stoves. Do you think it is necessary or we can use our stainless steel pans and pots? Most of our camping cookware doesn't have a nonstick coating. Do you think is it OK? I read magnetic cookware works effectively on induction cooktops. Is it right?

On the other hand, you can also suggest alternatives to induction cooking, but they should be fast and work for the long-term.

We've been using a Max Burton 6000 for seven years. No issues. Not sure what you mean by expensive, however we paid around $70. Well worth it. Cookware material is not relevant to the extent the base of the pan is induction compatible. Other than cast iron, cookware must be either be marked for induction or is magnetic. Stick a fridge magnet to the bottom, if it sticks, you are good to go.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Can’t comment on having induction stove in the trailer but we do have a small portable single burner one from Costco that we carry with us for when an additional hot plate is needed. We do however have an induction cooktop in our home and also had one in our previous home. I would not have anything else. A bit more expensive than gas or standard electric cooktop but the efficiency and ease of cooking/cleaning can’t be matched in my view. The comment about using a fridge magnet to check to see if your pots and pans are induction ready is a simple way of finding out. Just my thoughts.

"The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"
divey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
We've been using a Max Burton 6000 for seven years. No issues. Not sure what you mean by expensive, however we paid around $70. Well worth it. Cookware material is not relevant to the extent the base of the pan is induction compatible. Other than cast iron, cookware must be either be marked for induction or is magnetic. Stick a fridge magnet to the bottom, if it sticks, you are good to go.
Thanks. I also searched and it came into my knowledge that any cookware with magnetic base would work. Max Burton 6000 could also be a good option, I was just assuming the price little high. Few of my friends also suggested to go with portable IKEA induction hobs. It is around $49. But I am a little confused about size. Do you think size is related to power?
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedios_Sharrock View Post
Thanks. I also searched and it came into my knowledge that any cookware with magnetic base would work. Max Burton 6000 could also be a good option, I was just assuming the price little high. Few of my friends also suggested to go with portable IKEA induction hobs. It is around $49. But I am a little confused about size. Do you think size is related to power?

Size. No. Look at the wattage. Remember these tabletop units are (usually) 110v so they only have so much heating power.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

We use the NutriChef PKSTIND48 Induction Cooktop for travel. The PKSTIND48 cooks fast because it only took me a couple of minutes to make soft-boiled eggs, which was the quickest I have ever made.
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

We bought the "as seen on tv" NuWave induction hot plates, got the 2fer deal, that we used for about 6 years daily while fulltiming, never took the cover off the gas cooktop for 6 years. We've now moved into a modular home in a rv resort & DW still uses them daily, they're easier to regulate the temp than the stove top. Only drawback is they do require specific pots/pans.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

My concern with induction is the magnetic requirement. I have a lot of cast iron, and also a lot of aluminum, which is the predominate cookware in the trailer. I have been considering an infared double burner, 110 w/1700 watts. We had an infared in our kitchen in Virginia and loved it. It would save on propane and I could also use it outside instead of the 3 burner propane I use on a table outside. The next trailer will have an outdoor kitchen.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon View Post
My concern with induction is the magnetic requirement. I have a lot of cast iron, and also a lot of aluminum, which is the predominate cookware in the trailer. I have been considering an infared double burner, 110 w/1700 watts. We had an infared in our kitchen in Virginia and loved it. It would save on propane and I could also use it outside instead of the 3 burner propane I use on a table outside. The next trailer will have an outdoor kitchen.
You can purchase a plate that sits under the aluminum cookware. They're cheap and while I've not needed to use one, they're relatively well reviewed on sites like Amazon and Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/9-45inch-Diff...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Tags
camping, cooking, cookware